Aerohive (Extreme Networks) APs - No Controller Needed

2JZ-GTE

Mar 30, 2021
Silly question. "Roaming with multiple APs": you say that you need to use wireless - can't roaming use the ethernet as a backbone? (are you talking about 'roaming' or 'mesh'?).

I am looking into AP250 vs Ruckus R610 (mainly because ruckus is very expensive these days), but I want to make sure I have 802.11r and 802.11k (bonus points for 802.11v), but I don't need/want a mesh.

I don't quite understand why roaming requires a wireless interface, and I am (still) looking for documentation of what "hive" exactly means :)
Not the OP, but that section most likely refers to setting up Aerohive APs to use wireless backhaul. The APs have to be in the same Hive to use wireless backhaul.

My APs are setup with wired backhaul only and roaming between APs works. 802.11k, 802.11v, and 802.11r are enabled in my setup via the Voice Enterprise (Wireless Network Optional Settings) option. I have disable it in the screenshot below so you can see the more granular options available.

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 9.38.00 AM.png

Reactions: fortytwo

Surfarn_

Jul 11, 2020
How do I config to enable snmp. I would like to read the snmp data into Librenms.

I have tried following several guides using the GUI, could the CLI work bette?

fortytwo

Sep 26, 2020
Not the OP, but that section most likely refers to setting up Aerohive APs to use wireless backhaul. The APs have to be in the same Hive to use wireless backhaul.

My APs are setup with wired backhaul only and roaming between APs works. 802.11k, 802.11v, and 802.11r are enabled in my setup via the Voice Enterprise (Wireless Network Optional Settings) option. I have disable it in the screenshot below so you can see the more granular options available.

View attachment 19327
Nice, i was looking for SSH-only setup. My understanding is that this UI requires some sort of licensing (and/or cloud connection)

I am debating between ruckus r610 unleashed (but expensive) vs aerohive ap250 ($40 a pop), but it seems that support for the used ones is limited (potentially might not register if they weren't removed from the previous deployment + licensing fees. So i was thinking about ssh only setup)

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
How do I config to enable snmp. I would like to read the snmp data into Librenms.

I have tried following several guides using the GUI, could the CLI work bette?
It's pretty straightforward in the CLI. See my first post for the link.
Nice, i was looking for SSH-only setup. My understanding is that this UI requires some sort of licensing (and/or cloud connection)

I am debating between ruckus r610 unleashed (but expensive) vs aerohive ap250 ($40 a pop), but it seems that support for the used ones is limited (potentially might not register if they weren't removed from the previous deployment + licensing fees. So i was thinking about ssh only setup)
There is a free license you can utilize via the UI, but I'm not sure about APs being still tied to other accounts and transferring them. CLI can do nearly everything, so I would review that to get a better idea of the capabilities. I personally have only used the CLI, but my setup is also fairly basic.

2JZ-GTE

Mar 30, 2021

The commands for 802.11r are at: https://docs.aerohive.com/330000/do...ation/cli_guide_ap250_245x_10-0r5.htm#cmd1000

The commands for 802.11v are at: https://docs.aerohive.com/330000/do...ation/cli_guide_ap250_245x_10-0r5.htm#cmd1471

ExtremeCloud IQ Connect is free. I haven't ran into the issue of used APs belonging to a different account, but if that's the case you could try adding the same model AP as a simulated device in ExtremeCloud IQ, configure to your liking and then copy the config file of the simulated device to your real device (minus any capwap stuff).