Aerohive (Extreme Networks) APs - No Controller Needed

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

2JZ-GTE

Mar 30, 2021
Silly question. "Roaming with multiple APs": you say that you need to use wireless - can't roaming use the ethernet as a backbone? (are you talking about 'roaming' or 'mesh'?).

I am looking into AP250 vs Ruckus R610 (mainly because ruckus is very expensive these days), but I want to make sure I have 802.11r and 802.11k (bonus points for 802.11v), but I don't need/want a mesh.

I don't quite understand why roaming requires a wireless interface, and I am (still) looking for documentation of what "hive" exactly means :)
Not the OP, but that section most likely refers to setting up Aerohive APs to use wireless backhaul. The APs have to be in the same Hive to use wireless backhaul.

My APs are setup with wired backhaul only and roaming between APs works. 802.11k, 802.11v, and 802.11r are enabled in my setup via the Voice Enterprise (Wireless Network Optional Settings) option. I have disable it in the screenshot below so you can see the more granular options available.

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 9.38.00 AM.png

Reactions: fortytwo

Surfarn_

Jul 11, 2020
How do I config to enable snmp. I would like to read the snmp data into Librenms.

I have tried following several guides using the GUI, could the CLI work bette?

fortytwo

Sep 26, 2020
Not the OP, but that section most likely refers to setting up Aerohive APs to use wireless backhaul. The APs have to be in the same Hive to use wireless backhaul.

My APs are setup with wired backhaul only and roaming between APs works. 802.11k, 802.11v, and 802.11r are enabled in my setup via the Voice Enterprise (Wireless Network Optional Settings) option. I have disable it in the screenshot below so you can see the more granular options available.

View attachment 19327
Nice, i was looking for SSH-only setup. My understanding is that this UI requires some sort of licensing (and/or cloud connection)

I am debating between ruckus r610 unleashed (but expensive) vs aerohive ap250 ($40 a pop), but it seems that support for the used ones is limited (potentially might not register if they weren't removed from the previous deployment + licensing fees. So i was thinking about ssh only setup)

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
How do I config to enable snmp. I would like to read the snmp data into Librenms.

I have tried following several guides using the GUI, could the CLI work bette?
It's pretty straightforward in the CLI. See my first post for the link.
Nice, i was looking for SSH-only setup. My understanding is that this UI requires some sort of licensing (and/or cloud connection)

I am debating between ruckus r610 unleashed (but expensive) vs aerohive ap250 ($40 a pop), but it seems that support for the used ones is limited (potentially might not register if they weren't removed from the previous deployment + licensing fees. So i was thinking about ssh only setup)
There is a free license you can utilize via the UI, but I'm not sure about APs being still tied to other accounts and transferring them. CLI can do nearly everything, so I would review that to get a better idea of the capabilities. I personally have only used the CLI, but my setup is also fairly basic.

2JZ-GTE

Mar 30, 2021

The commands for 802.11r are at: https://docs.aerohive.com/330000/do...ation/cli_guide_ap250_245x_10-0r5.htm#cmd1000

The commands for 802.11v are at: https://docs.aerohive.com/330000/do...ation/cli_guide_ap250_245x_10-0r5.htm#cmd1471

ExtremeCloud IQ Connect is free. I haven't ran into the issue of used APs belonging to a different account, but if that's the case you could try adding the same model AP as a simulated device in ExtremeCloud IQ, configure to your liking and then copy the config file of the simulated device to your real device (minus any capwap stuff).

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
Thanks to the OP and all contributors for this thread. I’ve just received 4 250’s from the US and have replaced 4 unifi ap’s with these.
so far very impressed and glad to get rid of another set of unifi products from my network, switches went a few weeks ago.
Has anyone had any experience with the config of bonjour gateways, hopefully via the cli ?

2JZ-GTE

Mar 30, 2021
Thanks to the OP and all contributors for this thread. I’ve just received 4 250’s from the US and have replaced 4 unifi ap’s with these.
so far very impressed and glad to get rid of another set of unifi products from my network, switches went a few weeks ago.
Has anyone had any experience with the config of bonjour gateways, hopefully via the cli ?
Try adding this to your config:
vlan-group Trust 21
vlan-group NoTrust 107
bonjour-gateway enable
bonjour-gateway vlan 21
bonjour-gateway vlan 107
bonjour-gateway filter rule 1 from NoTrust *._*._*. to Trust

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
Thanks. I’ll give that a whirl. I had something very similar and it works at times, just doesn’t consistently do so.

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
Nah, unfortunately no difference. Trying to AirPrint from an iOS device to a printer on a different subnet works about 50% of the time, the rest of the time the iOS device can’t detect the printer.
the easy thing would be to move the printer to the same subnet, but theres no challenge in that ;)

TLARWise

Nov 30, 2021
Hi, I am hoping someone a bit more knowledgeable with Aerohive CLI can help with this issue. We have a batch of AP370's which was previously configured using HiveManager Online however as we are looking to replace our wireless network in a few months time we didn't renew the licensing for this. We have since had an AP stop responding and was only able to get it working again by resetting it back to factory default so now need to reconfigure it. Is there a way to copy the full config (including SSID's, profiles, user info, captive web portal) from one of the other working AP's to this reset AP?

2JZ-GTE

Mar 30, 2021
Hi, I am hoping someone a bit more knowledgeable with Aerohive CLI can help with this issue. We have a batch of AP370's which was previously configured using HiveManager Online however as we are looking to replace our wireless network in a few months time we didn't renew the licensing for this. We have since had an AP stop responding and was only able to get it working again by resetting it back to factory default so now need to reconfigure it. Is there a way to copy the full config (including SSID's, profiles, user info, captive web portal) from one of the other working AP's to this reset AP?
If you can SSH into the working APs and have a server running TFTP or SCP you can copy the config to it: save config current tftp://192.168.21.240:workingconfig

Once it's on your server, you can ssh into your non-working AP and TFTP/SCP the config to it: save config tftp://192.168.21.240:workingconfig current now

sdpctek

Apr 26, 2022
Very informative thread, thanks guys! I recently did some contract work for a company where I replaced a bunch of Aerohive AP's with Meraki's and they told me to just "recycle" the old AP's so I recycled them to my house hahah. So yeah...I have about 30 AP250's and been messing with them over the past week or so.

I've been in IT for like 20 years but my CLI/Cisco knowledge is complete garbage so it's only thanks to this thread and a couple of others that I was able to get these things working at all. It's worth mentioning though, in case anyone's in the same boat I was, that I also reached out to the manufacturer when I wasn't able to "onboard" any of the AP's into their online/cloud-based thing ("EtremeCloud IQ") due to the fact that all the AP's were still associated with the previous owners account. Anyways, long story short... I called their support line and (astonishingly) within like 10 minutes I had an actual human American person on the phone from ExtremeNetworks and he actually took care of it. I explained the situation and he just had me send him pictures of all the devices with S/N's and MAC's and the next day the problem was fixed.

Just thought I'd mention this in case anyone assumes, like I usually would, that calling the company would be a complete waste of time. The numbers are:

+1 800-872-8440
+1 800-998-2408
+1 408-579-2800

Many thanks to Ron Galien at ExtremeNetworks for giving a non-paying customer like me a couple hours of his day and many thanks for all the free knowledge here.

Reactions: Sean Ho

Poisonwolf

Jun 28, 2022
This can be a helpful read for those that are looking to set up their Aerohive APs in the coming weeks...

Of note is the channel-width. It's true that wider will get you more throughput....but it'll come at the cost of stability and range. For those of you that are experiencing range/stability issues and are setting it to 160 for channel width, try dialing it down to 40 or 80 and work from there.

• Love
Reactions: rotor

legopc

Nov 2, 2014
The Netherlands
Dont know if this is of any use but I have been deploying Aerohive at my previous work for years and have been using them at home for years and also deploying them at my own "clients". I have to say, these have been fantastic. Havent deployed a wide range of models, mostly just AP122's and AP305c's but I have yet to have one fail. Now they do have cloud management, which has its quirks, but is not bad at all and free. And if really need be, local configuration can be done just fine, although its not the best CLI.
Now it does have its odd quirks like I said. But I have found them to be hella reliable have been set and forget for me. I can recommend these to anyone, even noobies.

Reactions: Monocle

djaychela

Jan 7, 2023
I found essentially no info on Aerohive products here, so I thought a new thread was befitting. Aerohive was acquired by Extreme Networks in late 2019, but their hardware really hasn't changed since. Like Meraki, Aerohive APs are generally meant to be cloud managed, but you can just SSH into them and configure them via the console. No need to flash a different firmware or the likes. I'm not sure if I'm the only one running one of these at home (I have an AP650), but I'm sure that won't be for long.
Just wanted to say thanks for the original post. I have a couple of AP130s that have been here for years (my partner's school was sent them to test them out as part of procurement for a new WiFi system and they didn't want them back), and I had no luck with the cloud management system.

10 minutes with this post and the CLI guide for the AP130, and I'm in business, with two nice PoE APs I can fit!

rotor

Sep 16, 2013
This can be a helpful read for those that are looking to set up their Aerohive APs in the coming weeks...

Of note is the channel-width. It's true that wider will get you more throughput....but it'll come at the cost of stability and range. For those of you that are experiencing range/stability issues and are setting it to 160 for channel width, try dialing it down to 40 or 80 and work from there.
What an absolutely wonderful guide, thank you so much! I spent all afternoon going through it (on my Unifi network), and WOW, things are SOOOO much better now. Every single 5GHz-capable device is connecting at 5GHz, my Ring doorbell (which for some reason used to stubbornly hang on by a thread at 5GHz) is now solid at 2.4GHz... I'm so happy to have found this guide, it's just amazing how simple and clear they've made the whole thing.

Again, thank you for posting it!

reasonsandreasons

May 16, 2022
Just wanted to pop in and say that I finally picked up and AP650 and I agree with everyone else--these are great for the money. I used Bluefox's config in the OP and got respectable speeds out-of-the-box in an apartment in a major city. Setup took fifteen minutes over a console cable with relatively little prior experience. I might try the free cloud tier, but right now I don't see a reason to.

Some iperf3 results to one of my servers, for whatever they're worth:
Code:
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate         Retr  Cwnd          RTT
[  5]   0.00-1.00   sec  87.4 MBytes   733 Mbits/sec    0   6.00 MBytes   52ms
[  5]   1.00-2.00   sec  93.4 MBytes   784 Mbits/sec    0   6.01 MBytes   24ms
[  5]   2.00-3.00   sec  86.2 MBytes   721 Mbits/sec    0   6.02 MBytes   21ms
[  5]   3.00-4.00   sec  80.5 MBytes   677 Mbits/sec    0   6.02 MBytes   22ms
[  5]   4.00-5.00   sec  89.1 MBytes   748 Mbits/sec    0   6.02 MBytes   45ms
[  5]   5.00-6.00   sec  92.6 MBytes   776 Mbits/sec    0   6.02 MBytes   19ms
[  5]   6.00-7.00   sec  92.5 MBytes   776 Mbits/sec    0   6.04 MBytes   31ms
[  5]   7.00-8.00   sec  93.6 MBytes   783 Mbits/sec    0   6.04 MBytes   36ms
[  5]   8.00-9.00   sec  95.2 MBytes   801 Mbits/sec    0   6.04 MBytes   35ms
[  5]   9.00-10.00  sec  94.3 MBytes   791 Mbits/sec    0   6.04 MBytes   32ms
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate         Retr
[  5]   0.00-10.00  sec   905 MBytes   759 Mbits/sec    0             sender
[  5]   0.00-10.01  sec   904 MBytes   757 Mbits/sec                  receiver
(In case other folks are interested in picking one up, I went with this seller; they took my best offer at $85. Out of the box mine was running 10.5r2.)

gabb

Jan 17, 2021
Just wanted to pop in and say that I finally picked up and AP650 and I agree with everyone else--these are great for the money. I used Bluefox's config in the OP and got respectable speeds out-of-the-box in an apartment in a major city. Setup took fifteen minutes over a console cable with relatively little prior experience. I might try the free cloud tier, but right now I don't see a reason to.

Some iperf3 results to one of my servers, for whatever they're worth:
Code:
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate         Retr  Cwnd          RTT
[  5]   0.00-1.00   sec  87.4 MBytes   733 Mbits/sec    0   6.00 MBytes   52ms
[  5]   1.00-2.00   sec  93.4 MBytes   784 Mbits/sec    0   6.01 MBytes   24ms
[  5]   2.00-3.00   sec  86.2 MBytes   721 Mbits/sec    0   6.02 MBytes   21ms
[  5]   3.00-4.00   sec  80.5 MBytes   677 Mbits/sec    0   6.02 MBytes   22ms
[  5]   4.00-5.00   sec  89.1 MBytes   748 Mbits/sec    0   6.02 MBytes   45ms
[  5]   5.00-6.00   sec  92.6 MBytes   776 Mbits/sec    0   6.02 MBytes   19ms
[  5]   6.00-7.00   sec  92.5 MBytes   776 Mbits/sec    0   6.04 MBytes   31ms
[  5]   7.00-8.00   sec  93.6 MBytes   783 Mbits/sec    0   6.04 MBytes   36ms
[  5]   8.00-9.00   sec  95.2 MBytes   801 Mbits/sec    0   6.04 MBytes   35ms
[  5]   9.00-10.00  sec  94.3 MBytes   791 Mbits/sec    0   6.04 MBytes   32ms
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate         Retr
[  5]   0.00-10.00  sec   905 MBytes   759 Mbits/sec    0             sender
[  5]   0.00-10.01  sec   904 MBytes   757 Mbits/sec                  receiver
(In case other folks are interested in picking one up, I went with this seller; they took my best offer at $85. Out of the box mine was running 10.5r2.)
nice consistent speeds. I won mine for $59.95 (for a total of $80). Disappointed that it needed more power than my crapy 2.5G poe switch would provide but it's fast ! Runs a bit hot and it's huuuge :)
Now waiting for the AP4000 to drop to sub $200 on ebay ...