1U Supermicro Server 6x 10GBE RJ45 X10SLH-LN6TF LGA 1150 H3 X10SLH-N6-ST031

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ProLiant

Aug 23, 2022
Strange, maybe because of custom BIOS. I have X9 and X10 boards and they don't work with i5 and i7 CPUs, but i3 works. Also have tested non-ECC memory and the boards won't boot.

Here's an example of X10 board working with i7 4790K but I'm not sure if it work the same on the X10SLH-N6-ST031.

The specific system on ebay does seem to use DDR3L ECC UDIMMs, however.

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO

Here's an example of X10 board working with i7 4790K but I'm not sure if it work the same on the X10SLH-N6-ST031.

The specific system on ebay does seem to use DDR3L ECC UDIMMs, however.
ECC UDIMMs on a cpu that doesn't support it will work just like regular UDIMMs so I think the same config would work with regular UDIMMs.

Reactions: Sogndal94

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
All Intel Core-i CPUs are built to support ECC. It's just Intel disables ECC on i5 and i7, so they don't compete with the Xeon series.

This includes almost all i3 and low-end Pentium/Atom CPUs all supporting ECC. Some i5 models over a couple of Tick generations had ECC as they were basically the i3 of the next Tock generation.
Yes, those i5 were dual core with hyperthreading, like an i3 of the generation, instead of the usual quad core without hyperthreding. The only Haswell LGA1150 i5 that supported ECC was i5-4570TE, which was introduced specifically for the Embedded market. Like most "Embedded" CPUs it worked fine in a "regular" setup. I had one in an Asus P9 board with Xeon chipset (C226) and ECC RAM. I have no idea if it would work in this X10SLH board, and frankly it was a pretty anemic CPU anyway.

Last edited:

Zabaluyev

Oct 5, 2022
Dear community. I found this thread very useful and I just bought this mb. And I have some questions.
1. Memory. I bought memory sets twice, but they not working for me. I have 5 short and one long beep. I tried both sets and all channels/slots. Here is one I bought.HP 8GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 2Rx4 ECC Registered DIMM Memory Module 690802-B21 https://a.co/d/1ac2R9m
If I am mistaken in the type of memory, please let me know.
2. Power consumption. I plan to use it for the truenas/freenas server. And I don’t need it working all the time. Does this mb supports WakeOnLan, or something similar? I did not find any information about this function. Please advise.

Glock24

May 13, 2019
Dear community. I found this thread very useful and I just bought this mb. And I have some questions.
1. Memory. I bought memory sets twice, but they not working for me. I have 5 short and one long beep. I tried both sets and all channels/slots. Here is one I bought.HP 8GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 2Rx4 ECC Registered DIMM Memory Module 690802-B21 https://a.co/d/1ac2R9m
If I am mistaken in the type of memory, please let me know.
2. Power consumption. I plan to use it for the truenas/freenas server. And I don’t need it working all the time. Does this mb supports WakeOnLan, or something similar? I did not find any information about this function. Please advise.
You got the wrong memory type. The Xeon E3 boards support ECC unbuffered memory, the one you have is ECC registered and it won't work.

IronStolf

Oct 6, 2022
Hi, complete noob here. Thanks to everyone for all the helpful information. I have a quick question. I recently purchased X10SLH-N6-ST031. I have successfully flashed with the bios off this site. Is there anyway to confirm my flash was successful other than the information in the image? I entered bios and version and date are the same. After flash the system rebooted like maybe 5 times I assumed it was in a loop, but it finally came back. I am hoping the loop wasn't reverting it back to the old version. Thanks.

Attachments

tabby27

Jun 29, 2020
Hey everyone, great thread. I have one of these, and wanted your opinion on this...
one of these supermicro 6x10G computers vs one of those j4125 celeron protectili minipc's ?
I'm going to install ipfire (or pfsense, or openbsd) on them.
If the minipc is better or equal, I'll just go with that. Any thoughts? Thanks.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
You're looking at an order of magnitude in power consumption. This thing is close to 100W idle due to the NICs and fans. If you don't need 10GbE, better off with the J4125 system (or similar).

Reactions: tabby27

tabby27

Jun 29, 2020
You're looking at an order of magnitude in power consumption. This thing is close to 100W idle due to the NICs and fans. If you don't need 10GbE, better off with the J4125 system (or similar).
Ha! It is indeed about 100W, crazy. I don't "need" the 10G ports, but I do have a couple of servers with 10G ports on it so I figured I might start upgrading. However, no other endpoint has 10G yet, so I never see transfer speeds above 1G yet. I agree with you and I think I will opt for the tiny minipc over this beast. I want to use it one day, but when? LOL.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
I retired mine a while back, because even with just the motherboard and a little SSD, it was idling 60W or 70W. And my electricity was really expensive. it was a fun board though and worked reliably.

went back to consumer netgera r7800 for home router.

But I just ordered one of the n5105 minipc's, and am awaiting delivery.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Has anyone started searching for an "NVM Update" for our Intel X540-T2 chips?

Very interesting to see the X550-T2 get 2.5G and 5G support with this "NVM Update" unlock.

somenoob

Mar 23, 2023

Erlipton

Jul 1, 2016
Sorry for bumping this but does this enable all the 10gbe ports?

I'm looking to build a cheap 10gbe router/firewall/switch all in one using either proxmox to virtualize pfsense and pi hole or bare metal pfsense. I only need access 3 10gbe ports for my wan, Nas and pc and a 1 GB port for my 1gb switch.
granted, a big assumption here.... but...

(3x) 10Gb uplinks and cheaping out on the router sounds like a bad time

somenoob

Mar 23, 2023
Don’t think an explanation is needed because after re-reading I think you meant to say lan not wan
I guess I could've worded it a lot a better instead of rushing to get an answer.

I essentially only need 1 10gb port for my wan and 2 10gb lan connection for my Nas and pc for file transfers.

Last edited:
Reactions: frameshift18

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
Sorry for bumping this but does this enable all the 10gbe ports?

I'm looking to build a cheap 10gbe router/firewall/switch all in one using either proxmox to virtualize pfsense and pi hole or bare metal pfsense. I only need access 3 10gbe ports for my wan, Nas and pc and a 1 GB port for my 1gb switch.
I think all the Bioses enable all the 10gb ports. (the ports can be disabled via jumpers on the board BTW, but it doesn't save much electricity).

Big restriction of these x540 ports is they are 10gb or 1gb only, no support for 2.5gb or 5gb.

I ran opnsense bare metal on mine, and I liked it. Main beef was the relatively high electricity consumption.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
This board works well if you need a 24/7 server to be up and running in addition to 10gb switch. As a switch, it is quite power hungry (60W at idle) but it is acceptable if you also use it as File server etc.

Though it is getting old and inefficient for today's era but for the price ($50), it is a great purchase. It is a kind of funny, after many years people are still discovering this board.