1U Supermicro Server 6x 10GBE RJ45 X10SLH-LN6TF LGA 1150 H3 X10SLH-N6-ST031

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Erlipton

Jul 1, 2016
I've read the thread very carefully several times. I have the mobo and need to start planning the build.
Every time you reply to this thread from 2020, everyone gets notified of an update unless they've gone out of the way to turn that off. I'm genuinely glad you found a mobo that works for you, but I'd recommend thinking twice about posting on such an old thread unless you have something of value to contribute or a question that you need help answering. I'm turning those off now, just consider this for the other threads in the forum. I do see that you're new and that you probably didnt know about this functionality and that you didnt intend for this, so now you know...

Otherwise, welcome to the forum! Glad this thread was valuable to you when making your decisions

sergi0

Dec 4, 2016
Haha :) The notification madness... Do'nt want to turn them off but can't live with them either !

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
@zac1 was recently giving this MB for free (well shipping and shipping materials were not free :) )

These MBs were amazing deal to build a cheap 10Gb switch, it took me a quite a while how to set it up but it worked really good. It was means to my entrance to Linux world (Windows server performance was unbelievably bad).

More notifications for everyone ;)

Reactions: abq

NISMO1968

[ ... ]
Oct 19, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.vmware.com
Will it run CentOS Stream 9 or any other recent Linux distro? I can get a bunch of these for real cheap (company pays utility bill so I don't care much), it's just a long delivery time UK -> USA which prevents me from finding out.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
I mean, it's basically a haswell motherboard with intel 540 NICs, so if centos stream 9 can handle that then it would probably work ok?

Reactions: T_Minus

Peter Blanchard

Jun 30, 2022
Will it run CentOS Stream 9 or any other recent Linux distro? I can get a bunch of these for rebut al cheap (company pays utility bill so I don't care much), it's just a long delivery time UK -> USA which prevents me from finding out.
Have all US sources been exhausted? I bought a bare mobo but some US vendors offered mobo in a rack mount.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
Bumping this because I just retired my board and wanted to know if anyone was interested in buying one (I have the motherboard, a xeon 1225v3 CPU, and heatsink, not the chassis)

Reactions: Bert

Offspring

Feb 7, 2021
Bumping this because I just retired my board and wanted to know if anyone was interested in buying one (I have the motherboard, a xeon 1225v3 CPU, and heatsink, not the chassis)
I might take you up on the offer if the board has all 4 cores unlocked and PCI passthrough works, as I just bought the chassis and board however I'm locked to 1 core/2 threads, and I cannot do any PCI passthrough with my 1270v3. Attempting to flash the BIOS using the Linux, DOS or IPMI firmware flashing tool throws an error that the "update package is not compatible with this system configuration" so I'm kind of dead in the water.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
I might take you up on the offer if the board has all 4 cores unlocked and PCI passthrough works, as I just bought the chassis and board however I'm locked to 1 core/2 threads, and I cannot do any PCI passthrough with my 1270v3. Attempting to flash the BIOS using the Linux, DOS or IPMI firmware flashing tool throws an error that the "update package is not compatible with this system configuration" so I'm kind of dead in the water.
Hey, that's pretty strange. My CPU is a 1225V3. It has four cores and four threads and they all ran no problem. The only time I heard of course being disabled is if you pick it in a BIOS option, and it should be possible to use all course regardless of specific BIOS version, I would think. My bias was version 3.2 I believe, and I think that was the latest commonly available

It's been a long time since I played around with a board. When I was using it. I was mainly using bare metal OPN sense. I may have tried proxmox but I have a suspicion that PCI passed through would be a mess because there is only one PCI slide, and all of the 10G network ports are behind a PLX switch.

Offspring

Feb 7, 2021
I flashed the EzSolutions BIOS, but the system still only sees 1 core on the CPU. The folks who sold the system to me mentioned that the cores need to be unlocked in the header of the BIOS to work properly, and that I should look for the EzSolutions BIOS here, which I obviously did.

Has anyone run into something like this? I checked the motherboard and CPU and neither have bent pins or seemingly missing resistors so I don't know why the system is refusing to acknowledge more than 1 core.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
i was going to offer to mail you my pentium g3220t (dual core) for testing if you wanted to pay shipping. However I see them on sale on ebay for less than the cost of me going to the post office.

actually, all the low end haswell chips are around $9 for the cheapest thing on ebay:
pentium G3220
celeron 1820
xeon 1225 v3

it might be throwing good money after bad but it wouldn't be a lot of money.

Offspring

Feb 7, 2021
The sellers are sending me a brand new board, but I've also got an E3-1220v3 or something arriving at some point as well. So I basically have thrown good money after bad, but if I am able to ressurect the board with the 1220v3, then I'll just hold onto it as a backup in case something terrible happens.

Offspring

Feb 7, 2021
Just to close this out, it turns out the E3-1270v3 I had was bad, as the 1220v3 showed up and the original board works fine. Only thing I'm struggling with currently is that 2 of the 4 drive bays seem stuck on "hot spare" rather than being usable, and there's no option in the BIOS I can see where that's being set.

somenoob

Mar 23, 2023
Mine came a few weeks ago and realized I couldn't boot from the NVME addon card - had the same problem with an X10DRI until I learnt how to mod the SMC bios.

Have included the modded 3.2 Bios from Bluefox. You will need to reset CMOS after install - did mine from a Rufus FreeDos USB.

As usual I accept no responsibility ... yada yada ... use at your own risk :D

I flashed the EzSolutions BIOS, but the system still only sees 1 core on the CPU. The folks who sold the system to me mentioned that the cores need to be unlocked in the header of the BIOS to work properly, and that I should look for the EzSolutions BIOS here, which I obviously did.

Has anyone run into something like this? I checked the motherboard and CPU and neither have bent pins or seemingly missing resistors so I don't know why the system is refusing to acknowledge more than 1 core.

Did Bluefox update the bios with the pcie nvme mod awilson29 posted?

Reactions: abq

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
that's impressive. might as well make a bracket for the CPU as well :) Although it might get some incidental airflow from those little 40mm guys.

Reactions: Tomket