1U Supermicro Server 6x 10GBE RJ45 X10SLH-LN6TF LGA 1150 H3 X10SLH-N6-ST031

up2urheadlights

Nov 13, 2019
Hey everyone I am a little late too the party. I picked up an LGA 1150 H3 X10SLH-N6-ST031 off eBay last week and waiting for delivery. I noticed after reading through this thread that it uses a custom bio due to the 3x540 intel Nics. Unfortunately, all of the custom bios unlocked BIOS links are no longer working. Is there any chance someone would be willing to host a new link for the file?

Thanks, Killnfield
mod_bios.rom This contains the most recent microcode.

Reactions: tvo and Bert

mbze430

Nov 1, 2019
I just got this motherboard from ebay (parts-met-servers) BIOS is locked and I tried the password in this thread; no good. I can't boot from USB, SSD or HDD. Am I screwed? I downloaded the BIOS but I can't flash it without going to DOS. During boot I don't see IPMI address either.

nevermind! I just figured out the password... it's password. So anyone that might get one from parts-met-servers will know in advance

Reactions: EasyRhino and Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I just got this motherboard from ebay (parts-met-servers) BIOS is locked and I tried the password in this thread; no good. I can't boot from USB, SSD or HDD. Am I screwed? I downloaded the BIOS but I can't flash it without going to DOS. During boot I don't see IPMI address either.

nevermind! I just figured out the password... it's password. So anyone that might get one from parts-met-servers will know in advance
Reminds me of the time I bought a Sargent and Greenleaf heavy duty combination lock on eBay for dirt cheap because the seller didn't know the combination. First thing I tried when I got it was the default combination it leaves the factory with, 20-30-40. And what do you know, it opened.

up2urheadlights

Nov 13, 2019

I just sent them a message on eBay and they sent me the password. IPMI should be set to DHCP, so you would just need to figure out what address your router set for it.

mbze430

Nov 1, 2019
I just sent them a message on eBay and they sent me the password. IPMI should be set to DHCP, so you would just need to figure out what address your router set for it.
yeah like I said i figured it out anyway. and the IPMI was statically assigned when I got into it. so yeah thanks but didn't help any.

mbze430

Nov 1, 2019
Okay I need some help or suggestion. I didn't realize the IPMI port on this motherboard is dedicated. Thinking it was shared (Cause I need more ports) I set it to share. Now I can't get into it. Even in the BIOS all hose settings are blacked out.

Suggestion?

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Install ipmicfg tool and update the setting via the tool from the host OS.

zedalert

Feb 2, 2022
Just received mine recently shipped through mail forward to RU. It has some weird behaviour:
- channel A slots do not accept any memory and post 55 with 4 beeps
- thumb drive in the USB3.0 port can freeze other USB devices
- IPMI port blinks with green and amber in rotation, like it's non-stable 1Gb, but it is not
- one of the X540 (closest to the IPMI/COM) is hot even in standby

oh yeah unless you have 'issues with kvm console' i guess it's not a big deal.

I haven't used my KVM console after I finally got it set up.
It has had some issues with keyboard input, e.g. in Ubuntu KB was working only in the system menu, not in terminal or gedit until you press Hotplug from the KVM menu.

zedalert

Feb 2, 2022
- one of the X540 (closest to the IPMI/COM) is hot even in standby
UPD I think this is a normal behaviour since IPMI has Share/Failover settings allowing one of the 10G ports for a remote control, so this X540 chip is always powered up and even it's own BIOS chip is marked with blue dot, not like the two others with red marks.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
Just yesterday I retired my x10slh-ln6f as my home router.

It was working great with opnsense. But with the really expensive electricity prices averaging almost 50c per kwh (San Diego), I did the arithmetic and it was over 20 bucks a month to have the pleasure of running it 24/7 with it idling at 60w usage. :(

Erlipton

Jul 1, 2016
Just yesterday I retired my x10slh-ln6f as my home router.

It was working great with opnsense. But with the really expensive electricity prices averaging almost 50c per kwh (San Diego), I did the arithmetic and it was over 20 bucks a month to have the pleasure of running it 24/7 with it idling at 60w usage. :(
What CPU did you have running in it? I see several on ebay that appear to come with a 1270v3, but wondering what a 1220Lv3 (or whatever the model is for that gen) might do in performance vs cost savings

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
What CPU did you have running in it? I see several on ebay that appear to come with a 1270v3, but wondering what a 1220Lv3 (or whatever the model is for that gen) might do in performance vs cost savings
e3-1225v3
but previously I had a Celeron. Idle consumption was about 60W with either cpu, only consumption under loan changed.

Previously I had tried disabling with 10gb ports with the jumpers, and it was still maybe 50W.
the main non-adjustable power consumption on the board is, presumably, the PLX switch for the LAN ports, combined with the ipmi.

zedalert

Feb 2, 2022
It's idle is high due to the three X540, they consume maximum power all the time even without full 10G load. Sadly this happens to the most of 10G controllers, their idle and full load has almost no difference.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
and even after you disable the x540's wth jumpers, the power consumption only slightly drops.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
and even after you disable the x540's wth jumpers, the power consumption only slightly drops.
Search for my posts in this thread. I did a full test with a Kill-a-Watt on a floating UPS. IIRC, each chip lowered consumption by 6-8Watts each. All three off consumes in the low 40s I think (on mobile driving, can't search right now). Correct in a post 7 or 8 down below.

Last edited: