1U Supermicro Server 6x 10GBE RJ45 X10SLH-LN6TF LGA 1150 H3 X10SLH-N6-ST031

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lst3245

Aug 8, 2020
I have figured it out. The board does support SR-IOV! PCI passthrough must be disabled first for that nic to enable SR-IOV in esxi. I passed through the virtual functions to two different VMs and funny enough, I was able to get over 10Gbps with iperf! There must be some interesting stuff done by the X540. The switching is completely offloaded to the X540 and no CPU usage on the vSwitch in esxi! Awesome!
x10slh.PNG

hive

Aug 26, 2020
Does the modded BIOS with NVMe boot support include support for Xeon E3V4 chips?

hive

Aug 26, 2020
Mine came a few weeks ago and realized I couldn't boot from the NVME addon card - had the same problem with an X10DRI until I learnt how to mod the SMC bios.

Have included the modded 3.2 Bios from Bluefox. You will need to reset CMOS after install - did mine from a Rufus FreeDos USB.

As usual I accept no responsibility ... yada yada ... use at your own risk :D

@BlueFox @awilson29 Do you know if this modded BIOS supports V4 Xeon E3 processors like the E3-1278LV4 or E3-1265LV4?

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
@BlueFox Do you know if this modded BIOS supports V4 Xeon E3 processors like the E3-1278LV4 or E3-1265LV4?
Regrettably I can't tell you. I never wound up purchasing one of these motherboards and have only been hosting the modded BIOS for the community. I've not actually tested it.

hive

Aug 26, 2020
Regrettably I can't tell you. I never wound up purchasing one of these motherboards and have only been hosting the modded BIOS for the community. I've not actually tested it.
@BlueFox Do you believe that the mods made to the BIOS should support V4 CPUs, but just have not tested that?

lst3245

Aug 8, 2020
@BlueFox Do you believe that the mods made to the BIOS should support V4 CPUs, but just have not tested that?
I flashed that modded BIOS and tried an E3-1285L v4. Like I said in a previous post, no luck. A v3 xeon works though. But your CPU is different from mine, so YMMV.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
hey has anyone tried installing this board in a regular desktop/tower case? It seems like it's microatx in width, but extra long EATX/SSI-EEB in length. Not sure what it would even fit in.

lst3245

Aug 8, 2020
hey has anyone tried installing this board in a regular desktop/tower case? It seems like it's microatx in width, but extra long EATX/SSI-EEB in length. Not sure what it would even fit in.
haha I once have the same problem! The board is just a rotated ATX size, it fits standard MATX holes perfectly :D

In case you are not sure, the red dots are standard MATX holes, and the red square is the standard MATX size.
For me, I have to remove the HDD cage and it fits perfectly!

dimension.png

Last edited:

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
thanks for drawing in the circles on th emount points.

so maybe I find a really long matx case.... but it will be hard to search on, because it's like matx cases advertise if they have an extra 3 inches of motherboard mounting space.

but I do have a couple of plastic standoffs for motherboards already so those could come in handy when I exceed the regular matx mounting spots....

lst3245

Aug 8, 2020
thanks for drawing in the circles on th emount points.

so maybe I find a really long matx case.... but it will be hard to search on, because it's like matx cases advertise if they have an extra 3 inches of motherboard mounting space.

but I do have a couple of plastic standoffs for motherboards already so those could come in handy when I exceed the regular matx mounting spots....
The board really does not exceed the width of MATX that much, only about 6cm. The dimension of the board is 24*30 cm and many modern case will fit it. My case is the thermaltake S100, which have plenty space left. I just leave the far right mounting hole unscrewed. You could use your plastic standoffs as well.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I flashed that modded BIOS and tried an E3-1285L v4. Like I said in a previous post, no luck. A v3 xeon works though. But your CPU is different from mine, so YMMV.
With a xeon CPU, can I use ECC DDR4?

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
has anyone tried using a non xeon cpu in this? I'm wondering if a Pentium I have laying around will work.

mbender71

Aug 30, 2020
Hi everyone! I took the plunge and picked up one of these beauties from The Server Store. It came with the BIOS reflashed so no password issues. I put a couple of SSD's in it and install pfSense w/ZFS mirrored. Works perfectly and I had no problems at all. A previous post about installing a NVMe PCIe adapter to boot off NVMe has me a little excited, but cautious. I wanted to see if anyone here has gotten this motherboard to boot from NVMe? Many thanks in advance :)

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
well I just got this motherboard from ebay pdneiman (the server store). It arrived in copious amounts of bubble wrap.

Initial impressions, after I assembled it into a bunch of leftover parts:
* a old HTPC microATX case
* a Pentium G3220T
* 14GB of mismatched SODIMMS in DIMM adapters

The board is long. it extends past the end of the intended motherboard tray. I put some electrical tape on the lip of the tray just to ensure there wasn't contact. It almost butts against the front of the case. it really maxes it out.

this board had the 3.2 BIOS and no BIOS passwords, and the IPMI used the default ADMIN/ADMIN

the heatsinks for the CPU and everything else on the board really need some air running across them. When I had the CPU under a stress test, and on an open bench but with no airflow, the CPU temp got up to 85C. And that was a CPU that was only consuming 16 watts with prime 95.

The board seems to recognize the CPU, and the integrated GPU, fine. I was able to use the GPU for some quick sync acceleration tests.

this is not a board for power efficiency. Even with a light build it was consuming 60W at idle (At BIOS). I tried disabling the jumpers for all three NIC chips, and it dropped to 50W. Just guesstimating, the CPU is only consuming about 5 watts, the RAM probably 10 watts, the SSD another 5... so that still leaves 25W or 30W just consumed by the motherboard chipset, the PLX PCIe bridge, and the Aspeed BMC. It certainly seems like there is something wasteful going on there.

Last edited:

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
I thought I'd follow up with fun pics of my janky router build.

It was kind of a miracle that it fit into this old htpc case. The one side effect of the motherboard longness is I no longer had enough space to put the front 80mm fan. But the old pentium is relatively cool so it's not a problem. You can also see the difficulty in cable management.
I also installed two DVD rom drives. one is broken and neither are plugged in, they're just used as slot covers and to attempt to route more airflow over the CPU and the passive heatsink it came with.

I installed OPNsense bare metal. first time I've used it but it's been working pretty well. A bit better than my old Netgear router when under load for QoS of things like video calls, or when pounding it with a bunch of small connections (like a steam/epic games download) over my gigabit cable modem connection.

The CPU is so slow that it doesn't consume more than 10W even under a prime95 stress test. The upside is that it doesn't get hotter than about 55C even with poor cooling. The downside is that it's super slow. I figure i'm good to software route about 2gbps total in any direction, because 1gbps takes up around 50-60% CPU.

The good news is that if I want to upgrade to get more CPU speed or to virtualize it then things like a low end Xeon E3-1220 v3 are really cheap on ebay, and vastly faster than what I have now.

The biggest thing lacking so far is I don't have any 10GbaseT devices to plug this into. I have a couple of 10GBps cards in my machines in the basement, but they are SFP+ and separated by a long line of Cat 5e.

Attachments

Tecchie

Nov 29, 2016
X10SLH-N6-ST031

Is the part number/board I have. Anyone have a manual to this? I'd like to find out what all the jumpers are for....

Also, I got it installed into a CoolerMaster HAF-X case without issue.

I'd like to get this into a sort of a case like the one above my post, but don't know where to look.. Also, would like to see if there are any updated BIOSes, and what mods there are?

The cpu I have installed is a Core I5-4440 with 8GB DDR3 desktop memory..

Reactions: Samir