1U Supermicro Server 6x 10GBE RJ45 X10SLH-LN6TF LGA 1150 H3 X10SLH-N6-ST031

penguinslovebananas

Sep 25, 2020
Just received mine recently shipped through mail forward to RU. It has some weird behaviour:
- channel A slots do not accept any memory and post 55 with 4 beeps
- thumb drive in the USB3.0 port can freeze other USB devices
- IPMI port blinks with green and amber in rotation, like it's non-stable 1Gb, but it is not
- one of the X540 (closest to the IPMI/COM) is hot even in standby

It has had some issues with keyboard input, e.g. in Ubuntu KB was working only in the system menu, not in terminal or gedit until you press Hotplug from the KVM menu.
I will add that my board has some unusual USB behavior as well. I have experienced the same issue with using a keyboard or mouse in a certain port can cause other ports to stop responding. Since mine is setup as a headless NAS if I need to use usb, I typically use the internal port on the motherboard if I need the 3.0 speeds and when I plug in my kvm it only uses one port so I use one of the usb 2 ports on the back and this has always worked. I usually run into problems when I try to use the front and back 3.0 ports at the same time.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
so I think I'm sadly going to retire my motherboard. The electricity cost (San Diego is now as expensive as Europe) isn't worth the performance that I'm not really taking advantage of (I don't have Cat6 wired in my house).

I'll get around to making a post over in the for sale forums, but if anyone is looking for one of these boards, or even my funky old HTPC case that is a perfect fit for it, please feel free to hit me up.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
so I think I'm sadly going to retire my motherboard. The electricity cost (San Diego is now as expensive as Europe) isn't worth the performance that I'm not really taking advantage of (I don't have Cat6 wired in my house).

I'll get around to making a post over in the for sale forums, but if anyone is looking for one of these boards, or even my funky old HTPC case that is a perfect fit for it, please feel free to hit me up.
Aren't we looking at most 30 watt extra power usage over a system that would be using x10sll-f given that x10SLH-LN6 consumes ~60watt? IIUC, we can actually knock that off another 10-15 watt by disabling the x540 chipset via jumpers.

My GS724tV4 is consuming ~25watt and this system is not an efficient solution as a switch but I use it also my windows file server (accessing my movies, music etc) and chia mining head. Although it is set up as 10G switch, I don't use that functionality a lot.

One good thing about x10SLH-LN6, it can work with regular DDR3 chips. For some reason, X10SLL-F only works with ECC DDR3, and they are hard to find.

Last edited:

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
Aren't we looking at most 30 watt extra power usage over a system that would be using x10sll-f given that x10SLH-LN6 consumes ~60watt? IIUC, we can actually knock that off another 10-15 watt by disabling the x540 chipset via jumpers.
When I did my test with the unit, disabling the NICs only dropped the wattage from 60W to 50w. (not as big a drop as eduncan reported).

But, I realized the only feature I really needed in my opnsense setup was to be able to use a tweaked out dnsmasq setup. I figured out how to do this on my Netgear R7800, which was already turned on anyway as a wifi access point. And 60W savings is over $20 a month with my new expensive electricity costs.

a dagger in the heart of my nerd ego, but a boon to the pocketbook.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
When I did my test with the unit, disabling the NICs only dropped the wattage from 60W to 50w. (not as big a drop as eduncan reported).

But, I realized the only feature I really needed in my opnsense setup was to be able to use a tweaked out dnsmasq setup. I figured out how to do this on my Netgear R7800, which was already turned on anyway as a wifi access point. And 60W savings is over $20 a month with my new expensive electricity costs.

a dagger in the heart of my nerd ego, but a boon to the pocketbook.
Found my old post and corrected the numbers:

57-60W idle with Intel power savings once all NICs are turned off.

If you turn off the BMC, you save another 13W and the system idles around 45W.

Only thing left using power would be the power-supply's PDU (around 2-3W), and the PSUs themselves as they draw 5 to 6w idle.

So yeah, if you want "server features", such as the BMC, it is going to cost ya.

Reactions: abq

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
oh wow I didn't even realize that the BMC was disable-able.

of course if you disable all the NICs and the BMC, you're just left with a Haswell board with not many pcie slots /shruggie

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
Hello, is this link by chance down? no worries, just thought it might be an easy fix? Thx :)
Working for me from my phone, which is not associated with anything I control. Blocked on your end maybe?

zedalert

Feb 2, 2022
I will add that my board has some unusual USB behavior as well. I have experienced the same issue with using a keyboard or mouse in a certain port can cause other ports to stop responding.
I can't make it boot from USB3 with my Zalman VE350 HDD/DVD emulator: Windows images do not even start to boot, Linux distributions give a console full of dev/fs/io errors. No problems with USB2.
Hello, is this link by chance down?
For me this link does not work if I open it from the forum, but when I copy and paste it manually in the new tab it works. Seems like the website does not like referer header.

abq

May 23, 2015
I can't make it boot from USB3 with my Zalman VE350 HDD/DVD emulator: Windows images do not even start to boot, Linux distributions give a console full of dev/fs/io errors. No problems with USB2.

For me this link does not work if I open it from the forum, but when I copy and paste it manually in the new tab it works. Seems like the website does not like referer header.
@zedalert , that works, thank you:) re: "copy and paste it manually in the new tab it works".

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
Reactions: abq and zedalert

ParkerSmith

Apr 1, 2022
BE768B1B-60EA-44B3-B811-567AF64B0D14.jpeg
Registered just off this thread, great community here, have a build in progress used a lot of the information here to get up and running. It’s functional, gotta make a top for it though, it’s part of a bigger themed project so you’ll have to excuse some oddities for looks

planning a right up once it’s a bit more complete, quite the learning experience

Reactions: Fritz

vingo0503

Apr 2, 2022
I used a video card companion fan to provide heat dissipation for X540, and i350-T6 was used for pcie X8 interface. So far, it seems to work well. Ordinary desktop chassis can also accommodate this motherboard, which costs about 20 DOLLARS

penguinslovebananas

Sep 25, 2020
I used a video card companion fan to provide heat dissipation for X540, and i350-T6 was used for pcie X8 interface.
I have a similar card with 6 gig ports, Silicom brand i350-am2 as well as a dell brand i350-t4 for 10 gig ports total. I thought it would be a cheap solution to use as a switch. I have discovered that both of my nic's are fake intels, dispite my through investigation and passing all the normal checks, large heatsinks, embossed delta transformers, txc crystal, correct smt parts and part numbers/dates. The only way I found out they were fake was calling intel, I had a issue with one of them but it turned out to be transient, and since I had them on the phone I checked both of them out and was told they were both fake, although high end. I did dig out a useful bit of info when I asked about the stickers, EVERY official Intel NIC will have a BradyID or Yottamark sticker weither it comes from an OEM or direct, so keep that in mind and always ask before purchase to verify.

Last edited:

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
anyone know what the current/latest bios is on this bad boy? I just picked one up off ebay for an opnsense router.

joellinn

Apr 5, 2022
Hi,
I am trying to set up OpnSense on one of this puppies to do vlan routing.
I am seeing > 9 Gbps when receiving on the device (iperf3 -c on opnsense) but can only get about 1.5 Gbps when sending from it. Thats already with offloading enabled. Vlans are used on the interfaces.
Anybody know how to fix the slow TX ? Didn't try Linux yet

Reactions: Churchill

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
Hi,
I am trying to set up OpnSense on one of this puppies to do vlan routing.
I am seeing > 9 Gbps when receiving on the device (iperf3 -c on opnsense) but can only get about 1.5 Gbps when sending from it. Thats already with offloading enabled. Vlans are used on the interfaces.
Anybody know how to fix the slow TX ? Didn't try Linux yet
did you post on the Opnsense forums? There's someone else with the same issue you are having and I'm curious as well as I'll be building the same thing you are building on these guys.

joellinn

Apr 5, 2022
did you post on the Opnsense forums? There's someone else with the same issue you are having and I'm curious as well as I'll be building the same thing you are building on these guys.
no I didnt, can you post the link?
Btw I am using Mikrotik SFP+ 10GBase-T modules and the Mikrotik 16 port sfp+ switch. Those modules and the supermicro boards are the only 10GBase-T hardware I have. I have other SFP+ hardware though which I could test.