10Gb SFP+ single port = cheaper than dirt

Discussion in 'Great Deals' started by MiniKnight, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Keljian

Keljian Active Member

For anyone wondering, these are pretty much plug and play with ESXi 6.0U1- you just need to set the rate (10000mbit)

A curiosity is that I had the option of setting 40gbit, didn't try it as I don't have any 40gbit hardware.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  2. Keljian

Keljian Active Member

Grumble- they bumped shipping to Australia to $50-60 ..

3. xbliss

xbliss Member

As these are tempting at the price even though I have/ would not be able to use them for a while.
    Should I just wait for when I am ready as the prices will stay or go down. Would the prices of these stay at this level, or go down in the future?

I guess I wont be able to saturate until I have a Fast RAID or major SSDs that surpass SATA bandwidths.

4. Keljian

Keljian Active Member

Better/newer cards will drop in price as time goes on, naturally. These cards likely won't drop much more.

Nvme drives can saturate 10gbit, and a pair of conventional SSDs could also. (Remember we are talking 1 gigabyte per sec, most SSDs can get close to 6gigabit (550 megabytes) a sec)

Latency is the key though. You can have a 1000gb link, but if you have big latency, then when you trigger something off, it will take a while.

5. J Hart

J Hart Active Member

Latency is the main problem with using SFP+ DAC cables in the end. Unlike 10G-SR SFP+ modules(~100ns), the DACs take a certain amount of time to gain carrier(500ns). It adds up especially if your applications are sending many small frames. Of course it is no where near as bad as 10GB-T which takes substantially longer(2000-2500ns). And like you said, 1000base-T is even worse in this department at ~4000ns. Anyway, I always find these sorts of things interesting especially because you get situations where it is faster to read the memory of another machine than to wait for a local SSD to return some data(SSD latency ~100us).

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/...benefits-of-deploying-sfp-fiber-vs-10gbase-t/

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8104/...ew-the-pcie-ssd-transition-begins-with-nvme/3

And the ever popular latency comparisons guide from Dean and Norvig

https://gist.github.com/jboner/2841832

lmk, spazoid, Keljian and 1 other person like this.
  6. Keljian

Keljian Active Member

Thanks for your post! I haven't tested fibre to fibre yet- still waiting on a second functional card, but gigabit to 10gig fibre latency is about 0.5 ms across the mikrotik crs226

7. Fritz

Fritz Well-Known Member

I may have set a new record yesterday. Picked up 5 Chelsio S310E-CR for $70 with free shipping. That's $14 apiece.

Keljian likes this.
  8. Keljian

Keljian Active Member

Not going to beat anyone here: I got a T420 for $80, shipping is taking ages though, I ordered about a month ago, with an estimated arrival of 2 weeks from now.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  9. ehfortin

ehfortin Member

Does this apply to the hp 671798? If so, do we have to upgrade the firmware to an original Mellanox?

I'm asking because I noticed that there are a few Connectx-2 supported (mnph29d-xtr, mt26478) with esx 6U1 and the mnpa19-xtr is not on the list.

Thank you.

Ehfortin

10. Keljian

Keljian Active Member

The mpna19-xtr was the card I used. Had a much easier time with it than the Chelsio t420(which I needed to install drivers for)

11. DonJon

DonJon Member

12. ehfortin

ehfortin Member

That's what I ordered a few months ago. Didn't try to flash them but they are working fine with Windows Server 2012 R2 and VMware ESXi 6.x.

13. Peanuthead

Peanuthead Active Member

They should work fine. Buy me a couple and I'll tell you. :)

Pete L. likes this.
  14. DonJon

DonJon Member

Thanks for your inputs. Got some of those HP branded cards. Works flawlessly. The firmware was at ver 2.9.1000. But the boot rom is old which takes to a CLI when <ctrl-b> is entered. the newer FlexBoot version has a gui and supports iSCSI boot. Here is the documentation for it.

https://www.mellanox.com/related-docs/prod_software/FlexBoot_user_manual.pdf

But the problem I have is, these cards have a Device ID and PSID of HP's. So cannot update the rom with the image file downloaded from Mellonax (Can never find the fw updates from HP site). Tried to update the firmware by using the Mellonax .ini config with HP PSID and Device ID of Mellonax card, but after that there is no PXE boot screen. Below is the doc on how to customize these card for OEM FW.

http://www.mellanox.com/page/custom_firmware_table

It will be great to have iSCSI boot option on these cards. Has anyone tried and succeeded in updating the boot rom/firmware on these cards?

15. Sleyk

Sleyk Well-Known Member

I actually saw the auction Fritz was talking about before. I got 5 of those cards for $75 total. Fritz, my man, you beat me by $5 bucks!

16. DonJon

DonJon Member

The Device ID for the generic Mellanox and the HP branded card is 26448. The boot option GUI for iSCSI is included with FlexBoot version 3.4.460 ROM image available at this link under Archive.
    http://www.mellanox.com/page/products_dyn?product_family=34

But the problem is the compiled rom images in .tgz file for 3.4.460 does not have the image for ConnectX-2 cards (i.e. Device ID 26448). But they are available in the prior version package 3.4.306 (But the boot GUI was not included on this version, only PXE boot available with iSCSI thru PXE). So no luck in getting the iSCSI boot config pages with this version.

But the source code for FlexBoot 3.4.460 is available for download from the same link. Has anyone got experience in compiling the source for this specific card? ConnectX-2 with device id 26448? Any pointers are welcome. Hope to get iSCSI configurations directly on the boot options rather than depending on PXE server.

17. Jerry Renwick

Jerry Renwick Active Member

really a nice price!

18. Boddy

Boddy Active Member

How many SSDs would you need running to saturate a 1oGb? Just for interest sake.

PS. There are some 10Gb cards with 3 meter cables for $20 available on EBay that seller is accepting offers for $18

Mellanox Single Port with 3m DAC

19. Sleyk

Sleyk Well-Known Member

Well, if you raido two samsung evo 850 250gb ssd's, you would get a transfer speed of alittle over 1000MB/s if you use your onboard intel 6gbps controller. This is mighty close to 1GB/s which is close to the approximate limit of a 10gb link, which is theoretically 1250MB/s. I tested this in an effort to see what it would take to saturate my 10gb link to my htpc. It really isnt hard though. If you use one good ssd, like the samsung evo, you would still transfer at around 400-500MB/s. I test this with a ramdisk using my 120gb samsung evo 850. That little beast transfers at 430MB/s. The 250GB versions can do more.

Hey Donjon, I wish i had abit more experience in compiling drivers for these Mellanox cards to lend a hand, but I confess I have little experience with this. Mellanox does seem open to answering questions about their drivers though. I base this on their high support of different OS'es. Maybe they can offer a tidbit of sustenance for you? hope you can get the cards working for you!

Last edited: May 19, 2016
    Boddy likes this.
  20. Keljian

Keljian Active Member

1x950pro - on 4xpci3

Boddy likes this.