Search results

1. S

EPYC 7002 and RAM speed questions

Shopping around for some RAM on a new build I am throwing together. This is using an EPYC 7502(32c/64t) CPU. I understand RAM speeds affect the Infinity Fabric, and 3200 is the target for best performance, but just how much performance increase would we be talking about when comparing: 64GB...
  2. S

ZFS 5TB SMR 2.5 drives + SSD Write Cache?

I have a 4x5TB 2.5 drives (2 Mirrors in a stripe for Raid 10), I purchased knowing the potential performance issues and plan to only really use them as cold storage. This ZFS pool is only for an off-site backup, primarily write and not reads. Since I had a few 100G SSD SAS drives (high write...
  3. S

WD blue 1TB SSD $13.99 on Ebay - (Scam)

You can only buy 1 every 10 days, but if not a scam an extremely good deal https://www.ebay.com/itm/WD-Blue-3D-NAND-1TB-Internal-SSD-SATA-III-6Gb-s-2-5-7mm-Solid-State-Drive-W/124183698202?epid=0&hash=item1ce9ecdb1a:g:pj0AAOSwwjVeuXo1 *** Ebay closed that listing reporting this was a scam ***
  4. S

Dell r230, will 4x32GB ECC Modules work?

Just wondering if anyone has tried using 32GB modules vs 16GB modules (ECC UDIMM). Specifically something like this? Would be nice if I could get this little system up to 128GB, likely overkill with the number of cores available but still just wondering :D
  5. S

Dell R730/R7910 Fan Control

Hello! I am wondering if it's normal for the Dell R730/R7910 to not auto-ramp up fans when the CPU is hot? I am using ESXi on a Dell R7910 (it looks exactly the same as an R730, inside and out) and have noticed the fans are not ramping up during a CPU stress test. I can see the CPU temperature...
  6. S

Dell R730 and Intel E5-2686 ES compatibility

Anyone know the compatibility or have they tested ES CPU's with R730's? Looking to purchase a chassis w/motherboard and wondering if I can transfer my current CPU to it without any issues. This is V3 of the CPU.
  7. S

Getting rid of old network lab gear - Las Vegas

Hey friends, doing some consolidation on my network lab at home and this means I have a good amount of equipment to offload and prefer this to go to a home that someone can use it. Its all free if you drive down to pick it up, the sooner the better (just wanna move it out of my office). I live...
  8. S

Dell r210 ii PCIe Passthrough not working, keeps asking for reboots.

I have two r210 ii servers with ESXi 6.5U1 and in the PCIe slot are 4 port 1000/VT card, it allows me to enable passthrough on the ports though I cannot fully enable them in ESXi, Virtualization and SR-IO are all enabled in the bios. I enable the ports but even after reboot they are stuck at...
  9. S

SSD Raid 10 for ESXi Hardware Recommendations?

Hello! Currently I have an ESXi machine that I do all my testing/tinkering on and am noticing I can only get about 250mb/s of write speeds. This is using an LSI 9260 series card connected to 4x 480GB Sandisk SSD's. Alone they reach ~500mb/s and I was able to validate this, but in raid 10 the...
  10. S

4TB 2.5 vs 3.5 performance/reliability?

Ello wonderful people :) I have been itching to lower the footprint of my FreeNAS build from a 4u supermicro 3.5 chassis to a 2U 2.5 array. Was wondering on your thoughts around the move, I know in the past 2.5" drives (spinning disks that is) have higher responce times and less reliability...
  11. S

New ESX server, unsure what 12GB/s Raid Card to look for

Hello (^_^) Currently in the process of building a 4u home ESX server. In the past I would scrub ebay for cheaper and basic raid cards (H310's etc) but I want to really future proof myself for the next 3 or so years. I am using a Supermicro CSE-M28SACB-OEM SAS/SATA Mobile Rack. I will only be...
  12. S

40mm Fans, any recommendations?

Greetings! I have several devices that could use a good Fan swap in my home rack and I would like to stay away from stepping down voltage if possible. In the past I would look at amazon and ebay for 40mm fans (not the dinky 40x10 ones) and they have been hit or miss. Wondering what you guys...
  13. S

Xeon D-1508/1518 able to handle 10Gbps?

Hello lovely forum! I want to look at replacing my FreeNAS motherboard to something less power hungry. Currently my system is a dual processor L5520 based system with about 74 or so GB or RAM. I plan to have this motherboard JUST serve files and move my Plex/BTSync services to a dedicated VM on...
  14. S

Xeon D-1518 1u fan cover

I wanted better airflow in the 1u supermicro server I recently purchased from Wiredzone (link). Created a 3d printed cover to segment one of the 40mm fans directly over the CPU heatsink. Thought I would share for others in the same boat. This is how it looked stock This is after adding the...