WD blue 1TB SSD $13.99 on Ebay - (Scam)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scline

Apr 7, 2016
You can only buy 1 every 10 days, but if not a scam an extremely good deal

*** Ebay closed that listing reporting this was a scam ***

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
FREE UPS Worldwide Expedited

to boot and you give that even a millionths chance not to be fake ?;)

Reactions: Samir

scline

Apr 7, 2016
It does feel super scammy, but for $14 (and oddly only lets you buy 1?) thought I would roll the dice myself and see what happens.

myrison

Jan 26, 2011
Yep... for $14, I'm willing to roll the dice. Nothing ventured nothing gained. :) Thanks for the link.

bbqdt

Sep 15, 2019
I really would like to know how this makes money, paypal and ebay simply won't send the money to this guys bank account.

pchangover

Dec 12, 2016
MD
Per a reddit thread:

"
Dragnskull

2 points · 2 years ago

The scam:
  1. get past the money holding phase somehow (steal accounts, buy/make stealth accounts, make new accounts and play legit until limits are lifted)
  2. once limits are gone, list items at stupidly low prices so they get bought as quickly as possible
  3. spend the funds as quickly as possible once buys start occurring
  4. ebay/paypal notice and lock them down, but they've already ordered X amount of stuff and (if successful) it's already shipped out
  5. rinse and repeat
"

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
I really would like to know how this makes money, paypal and ebay simply won't send the money to this guys bank account.
The scammer doesn't use their own PayPal account. The eBay and PayPal accounts are compromised and they just extract the money from said compromised PayPal account. If you've used eBay long enough, they lift pretty much all restrictions. The cap was raised to $2B per month on my personal account for example.

bbqdt

Sep 15, 2019
The scammer doesn't use their own PayPal account. The eBay and PayPal accounts are compromised and they just extract the money from said compromised PayPal account. If you've used eBay long enough, they lift pretty much all restrictions. The listing cap was raised to $2B per month on my account for example.
But how long after a purchase can you take money and put it in your bank account? And there is such a thing as an ACH reversal. Not only would it burn the paypal account, but it would burn your bank account and any identity you used to open said bank account.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
But how long after a purchase can you take money and put it in your bank account? And there is such a thing as an ACH reversal.
They'd be morons to associate their own bank account with the scam. They just spend the money via PayPal the instant it lands there.

Watch this video
That's triangulation fraud and quite different from this.

Reactions: Samir and bbqdt

int0x2e

Dec 9, 2015
There are a few variants, but basically:

Scammer buys item from company X. They then collect support, claim it was defective and get an RMA shipping label. They proceed to ship a box of rocks back. Likely selling the unit for full price.
While the RMA box of rock is in transit, but before it gets inspected by company X's staff, the scammers list the item on eBay for a bargain price. When you buy it, they give your address to company X as the shipping address for the replacement unit.
You get your item, so you don't even dispute the paypal transaction, so their PayPal account lines for long enough to withdraw their winnings.
Everyone is happy apart from company X, which potentially (but unlikely) sues you (let's say, if you posted about it in a public online forum and made it clear you knew it was a scam, which would make your classic good faith defense fall apart in court...)

Don't do it folks. Nothing good will happen.

scline

Apr 7, 2016
Just got a message from Ebay (unsurprising based on all of your feedback) that the transactions were all canceled due to the account being compromised.

Status
Not open for further replies.