Dell R730/R7910 Fan Control

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

scline

Apr 7, 2016
Hello!

I am wondering if it's normal for the Dell R730/R7910 to not auto-ramp up fans when the CPU is hot?

I am using ESXi on a Dell R7910 (it looks exactly the same as an R730, inside and out) and have noticed the fans are not ramping up during a CPU stress test. I can see the CPU temperature hit 75C in the iDRAC but fans will simply stay ~20% and not change at higher loads. iDRAC firmware is updated to latest versions and verified fans are not set by IPMI commands.

nle

Oct 24, 2012
Did you figure out this? I'm experiencing the same issue on a Dell PE T420 server.

I can hear the ESXi take control over the fans when it get far enough in the boot process, and spins them down from ~1500 to ~950 RPM

EDIT:
When the temperatures went up to close to 80 C, it increased the fan speed to 1080 RPM

I have the "Minimum Power" thermal profile, so maybe that is more aggressive than i thought.

scline

Apr 7, 2016
Unfortunately not :( I have it statistically set at ~30% and don’t really push the server to hard. It works but not ideal.

brinox

May 7, 2013
In the iDRAC > Hardware > Fan section, there should be a Setup page, and there you should be able to specify an exhaust temperature target and/or a fan speed offset. Setting either of these different from default/off should increase the fan RPM.