Search results

1. J

No idle disks with Intel raid on Windows?

Hi, I'm using the onboard intel raid on Windows. But the disks from my raid array don't seem to spin down... any idea what could be causing this? It is set in the intel storage management. And in the windows power management plan. But they keep spinning... just keep spinning...
  2. J

Does windows software raid write stipes on creation?

Just removed my ancient Areca 1222 controller because I need the PCIe slot for something else. Figured why not try windows storage spaces with my 7 4TB disks. (I always keep a live backup of all my data somewhere else :-) Well can't select REFS no more on windows 10 Pro because they took it...
  3. J

64GB Ram in HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Desktop Mini?

The max memory spec for the HP EliteDesk 800 G4 usff is 32GB, but in my experience you can sometimes exceed this? Any experiences with 2x 32GB dimms? Regards, Karel.
  4. J

Adding an additonal NIC to and HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini

Hey all, I'm hoping to add a VM with Pfsense to my proxmox server. I was successfull, but I have to use a USB NIC with a realtek chip for my WAN port and it is absolutely horrible in terms of stability. Anyone any other suggestions? Intel and Broadcom only seem to make PCIE NIC's... Thx for...
  5. J

Tiny, mini, micro + 10GbE SPF+ with mini pcie riser.

Hi, Wondering if this crazy thing would work: Use one of these risers: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Delock-Interface-Express-Flexible-41359/dp/B00ABFDNRG/ref=sr_1_14?crid=2ZC7WN9O7HYIQ&keywords=mini+pcie+riser&qid=1663328221&sprefix=mini+pcie+riser%2Caps%2C135&sr=8-14 To add a MLX connectX-3...
  6. J

15w mobile CPU in a 2U chassis?

Any suggestions on getting an intel U class CPU (or 15w equivalent) in a 2U form factor? I'm looking to replace my current X9 board with E3-1220 v2 cpu because of power concerns. But I would like to keep some (3x) SATA interfaces around for my SSD's to keep things simple. Dual NIC or PCIe...
  7. J

Best idle power consumption with modern hardware?

Hi everyone, I'm running a Supermicro X9SCL-F with an e3-1270 v2 in a Supermicro 2U CSE-825 chassis with a 500watt gold PSU. I only have 3 Sata ssd's for system and data. I run proxmox with a bunch of VM's. Pfsense, unifi controller, pihole, nextcloud server... When all services are running...
  8. J

Cheap way to adapt 3.5" drive trays to 2.5"

Is there a cheap way to adapt 3,5" supermicro disk carriers to 2.5"? Supermicro sells them separately (MCP-220-00043-0N) but they are quite pricey. Especially since I have the carrier already and I just need the steel adapter. You can find adapters online, the challenge is to make sure the...
  9. J

Best bang for the buck CPU platform? (on the used market)

Hi everyone, I tend to upgrade my workstation every 3 years or so. But usually with old hardware because I'm cheap :-). This is my current config: Supermicro x9dri-ln4f - 2x E5-2680 v2 - 128GB RAM - 1070ti - Samsung 970PRO nvme - 7x 2TB RAID - Areca 1222 Controller - Mellanox Connectx2 10Gbe...
  10. J

How to diagnose faulty pcie slots (X9DRi-LN4F+)

I have a X9DRi-LN4F+ board. The first pcie slot is populated with a GPU, the second one is not accessible because of this. The other ones are populated with at 10 gbe nic, raid card and a USB 3.1 card. Whenever I try to use the bottom pcie slot with any of those devices the system does not...
  11. J

Advantages of memory on 10Gbe nic?

I recently picked up a mellanox connectx-2 card, the MNPA19-XTR. The controller does not have any onboard memory but my previous Chelsio controller did have memory when I was using OSX. Can anyone tell me what the advantages are of the onboard memory? Cheers, K.
  12. J

Dell Perc H310 + 7x 3TB 7200RPM = only 400-450MB/s?

Hi all, I build myself a new/used workstation based on 2 E5-2680V2's. I'm experimenting with a spare dell H310 I have laying around as backup for my freenas server which uses 3 of those cards. I'm only getting 400-350 MB/s with 8 disks in raid 0. (I'm experimenting). Coming from the world of...
  13. J

Simple LAN to wifi adapter (with no power brick).

I run fiber optic but I don't want to run another ethernet cable to my server just for ipmi. Was wondering if anyone knows the simplest way to hook the ipmi port up to the wireless network. Would really love a simple ethernet dongle that maybe plugs into USB for power.... but google doesn't...
  14. J

AOC-SLG3-2M2 to Bifurcate or not Bifurcate on X9DRi-LN4F+

Hello everyone, I have a X9DRi-LN4F+ my cpu's are coming at the end of this week. I was wondering if the AOC-SLG3-2M2 would work on this board. It is officially not supported. However I have read on this forum that one NVME would work but two drives at the same time would not work since pcie...
  15. J

Mac Pro --> Threadripper or Intel E5

I'm a creative professional, currently on a mac pro dual x5670 system. It's still quite respectable in terms of cpu speeds (around 25000 on geekbench 4). But the GPU (nivida) driver support is lacking and the cause of a very unstable system. Hence I'm looking to jump ship to windows 10 since I...
  16. J

Chelsio S320 windows blue screen!

Does anyone know if these legacy cards work under windows 10? I use them on OSX and they work flawlessly. But looking to move to windows. When booting in win10 i managed to install them using the drivers on the chelsio site. The card is being recognised. It has an IP and is connected to the...
  17. J

WTB Intel Quad CPU 2U Server. R2208LT2HKC4

So I know someone who is offering an intel R2208LT2HKC4 server, barebone. It's a system targeted at HPC, it has room for 4 E5-4600 CPU's and up to 1,5TB of ram. I think it's cool to experiment with and I can get it for an affordable price, $800-1000. But I'm wondering if there is a resell...