Simple LAN to wifi adapter (with no power brick).

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

John M.

Mar 7, 2016
I run fiber optic but I don't want to run another ethernet cable to my server just for ipmi.

Was wondering if anyone knows the simplest way to hook the ipmi port up to the wireless network.

Would really love a simple ethernet dongle that maybe plugs into USB for power.... but google doesn't have much answers...

Suggestions?

Thanks!
K.

Robert Townley

Dec 23, 2014
I run fiber optic but I don't want to run another ethernet cable to my server just for ipmi.

Was wondering if anyone knows the simplest way to hook the ipmi port up to the wireless network.

Would really love a simple ethernet dongle that maybe plugs into USB for power.... but google doesn't have much answers...

$27 Power-Over-Ethernet powered
Ubiquiti AirGateway-LR Indoor Access Point AP/Bridge, 802.11b/g/n
UBI-AirGateway-LR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robert Townley

Dec 23, 2014
UBI-AirGateway-LR

Zack Hehmann

Feb 6, 2016
I think all of these options will work. I don't think the ubiquity is a great stilton, but it will work, you still need to get a poe injector to go with it though.

There are two suggestions for a wireless bridge device. That should work just fine, but they need configuring before you can use them. That is what people used for Xbox 360s when they didn't want to buy the expensive WiFi USB adaptors that Microsoft sold.

Lastly, the travel router is an excellent choice as well. I personally would not buy the one suggested and look at buying a GL.inet one instead. Most models from GL.inet have 2 lan ports and they run openWRT. You can find them on Amazon and they have their own website. Shouldn't be to difficult to bridge the Ethernet ports and the WiFi to your liking. It's more complicated than the bridges suggested earlier, but it has a ton more features with it.

I have one of the GL.inet and I love it and use it as a travel router. Good luck

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Robert Townley

Robert Townley

Dec 23, 2014
UBI-AirGateway-LR

Sorry, I rescind my recommendation. Turns out this is not what i was lead to believe. This uses a proprietary POE adapter, not an IEEE standardized version. More importantly, does not appear to be a generic bridge, but a proprietary bridge to Ubiquity AirMax equipment.

Robert Townley

Dec 23, 2014
I think all of these options will work. I don't think the ubiquity is a great stilton, but it will work, you still need to get a poe injector to go with it though.

There are two suggestions for a wireless bridge device. That should work just fine, but they need configuring before you can use them. That is what people used for Xbox 360s when they didn't want to buy the expensive WiFi USB adaptors that Microsoft sold.

Lastly, the travel router is an excellent choice as well. I personally would not buy the one suggested and look at buying a GL.inet one instead. Most models from GL.inet have 2 lan ports and they run openWRT. You can find them on Amazon and they have their own website. Shouldn't be to difficult to bridge the Ethernet ports and the WiFi to your liking. It's more complicated than the bridges suggested earlier, but it has a ton more features with it.

I have one of the GL.inet and I love it and use it as a travel router. Good luck

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
+1 for OpenWRT
I looked at the gl-inet.com website on my phone. Going to have dig further, hoping they provide a device i could power directly from the 802.3af switch.

If gl-inet does not have a directly powered via 802.3af device, then poeTexas should have a power adapter. Great for powering RaspberryPi devices from the switch.

Robert Townley

Dec 23, 2014
+1 for OpenWRT
I looked at the gl-inet.com website on my phone. Going to have dig further, hoping they provide a device i could power directly from the 802.3af switch.

If gl-inet does not have a directly powered via 802.3af device, then poeTexas should have a power adapter. Great for powering RaspberryPi devices from the switch.

Both 5vDC and IEEE 802.3af POE powered ethernet to WiFi bridges:
$52 GL-AR750-PoE
$32 GL-AR150-Ext-PoE-2

In your case, the iLO port would not ever supply PoE power, so it does make sense to use USB.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
How about a PQi AirPen Express? I typically use mine to jump my Playstation 2 (with the network/EIDE adapter) to the wireless network in the house (acting as a NATed base station), but it could also be used to wire equipment to the network. All it needs is a USB port to draw power from, and a short length of Ethernet cable.