AOC-SLG3-2M2 to Bifurcate or not Bifurcate on X9DRi-LN4F+

Discussion in 'RAID Controllers and Host Bus Adapters' started by John M., Mar 14, 2018.

1. John M.

John M. New Member

Hello everyone,

I have a X9DRi-LN4F+ my cpu's are coming at the end of this week.

I was wondering if the AOC-SLG3-2M2 would work on this board. It is officially not supported.

However I have read on this forum that one NVME would work but two drives at the same time would not work since pcie slot needs Bifurcation to split the 8 lanes into 4 separate lanes.

I checked the manual and found that there is Bifurcation control. Does this mean the AOC-SLG3-2M2 would work on this board? Here is what it says:

IIO 2 PCIe Port Bifurcation Control

This submenu congures the following IO PCIe Port Bifurcation Control settings for IIO 2 PCIe ports to determine how the available PCI-Express lanes to be distributed between the PCI-Exp. Root Ports.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!
    Karel.

2. carcass

carcass New Member

It doesn't work on latest BIOS -- indeed only top NVME drive is visible.
    bifurcation control is grayed out, and setting it manually by ruexe tool doesn't seem to work.

3. satter

satter New Member

I have X9DR3-F board and my AOC-SLG3-2M2 card is on the way. It could take 2-3 weeks.

I'm gonna test it with two Samsung NVMe drives. If bifurcation works I will do a BIOS mod to support NVMe boot.

4. John M.

John M. New Member

I checked with supermicro but only asked if you would be able to boot from the pci-e drive. This is what they said:

X9DRI-LN4F+ motherboard would support PCIe NVME drive. The OS and PCIe slot need to be in UEFI mode.
    Go to BIOS->Advanced->PCIe/PCI/PnP Configuration, change "Launch Storage OpROM policy" to "UEFI only". Then installed OS in UEFI.

I didn't ask about the bifurcation because I decided to stick with a simple sata ssd. App launch times don't really matter to me beyond the sata ssd speed. Boot times don't matter much as well since I'm using a raid card that takes forever to load it's bios...

5. satter

satter New Member

I've checked mine AOC-SLG3-2M2 and could not make both ssd work, only first one does.
    I tried different slots and different bifurcation settings -- no luck.
    Is there any other passive PCI-e splitters for m2 drives?

6. carcass

carcass New Member

Update: it works with the recent BIOS update

7. sovking

sovking New Member

You mean it bifurcate correctly on X9DRi-LN4F+ ? Have you tested with multiple nvme drive on the same slot ?

8. carcass

carcass New Member

"Yes" to both questions:)

9. John M.

John M. New Member

You mean version 3.3? Because that one has been out since 5/23/2018.

10. carcass

carcass New Member

It is dated 5/23/2018, but I'm not sure if it has been there since that date. Anyways, after upgrading to 3.3 it is possible to choose bifurcation mode in bios -- but that I tried with ruexe tool without success -- and it actually works now.