Search results

1. A

P3500: no support for NVMe sleep modes

I have found out that P3500 drives don't seem to support sleep modes.... after suspending the kernel cries out about how the drive will refuse to reset. Tested with 6.x and 5.x (Linux, obviously). Anyone else has any suggestions or knows of any way to fix it?
  2. A

EU WTB: GPU for passthrough in SC743 chassis to do Solidworks/CAD/similar

I'm admittedly a bit lost among the options for a virtualized CAD workstation. I need it to fit in a SC743 chassis, and I don't mind a consumer GPU (and high counts for CUDA would be helpful as it might moonlight as a cracking node). What are people using for this and what is the most cost...
  3. A

PSA: Obtaining your HBA/device SAS address from within Linux

I have seen people asking and some of the information online isn't really helpful, as it references tools like lsscsi which might be obsolete in some cases or not installed. Good news is you have all this information in sysfs, no need for extra tools: # cat...
  4. A

Illegal request/can't perform IO on HGST SAS3 SSDs marked IBM-ESXS

Hi, I got a bunch of HGST SAS3 SSDs long ago, and left them unused for a project that I'm finally working on. These are the 400G that used to be popular among us here looking for deals. They are HUSMM1640ASS20E models, connected to a HBA (sold as "OEM LSI 9300-8i" by it-serv-stor on the German...
  5. A

SC743 outer rails location/placement on rack posts (which holes hold the ears)

Hi! I'm about to fix the outer rails to the rack posts for a SC743 chassis with the Supermicro rail kit. However, the manual is a bit confusing in regards to the actual position of where the ears of the outer rails go. For example, let's assume I want to put the 4U chassis between 20-24, where...
  6. A

Tool-less MCP-220-00080-0B 2.5 to 3.5 caddy: how to convert them to accept 15mm SAS3 SSDs?

Hi! Surely others have had this issue. My MCP-220-00080-0B caddys in a new SC743 chassis don't fit 15mm SAS3 SSDs... they are the tool-less ones, with a clip that can lift and then engage the screw holes in the drive. What are you using to install SAS3 SSDs with 15mm height in those...
  7. A

X10SDV with SAS2 HBA (built-in): mpt2sas time outs

Hi! After upgrading to a 5.11 kernel from Ubuntu 20.04, I get these messages during bootup: They also appeared sometime into 5.x (I tried down to 5.4). The mpt2sas is getting time outs for some commands (I have not verified which, yet). This kills drive initialization and the boot process...
  8. A

Mixing 10G and 1G optics with Brocade and Unifi

Solved!
  9. A

CSE-743TQ-903B-SQ and SAS3 backplane CSE-SAS-743TQ (SAS3 or SAS2?)

I'm about to decide whether to purchase the tower/4U convertible chassis (for a 38u rack, I need something relatively quiet in that location), but my supplier has given me options like CSE-743TQ-903B-SQ (as a "set"/prebuilt chassis with the backplane). I want to confirm which backplane is SAS3...
  10. A

WTB: Intel DC S35xx/S3700 400G and other decent 900-1tb SSDs

Still looking for some 400G S3700s (SATA!), or bigger caps at a good price. 2-4 of them. Then 4-6 units of decent specs between 800 and 1tb capacity. I need to build an array of these for an all flash VM host in a 2u case. Looking at <100 per unit for either. So far eBay has been a little dry...
  11. A

MB607SP-B and other "SAS compatible" Icy Dock backplanes

I've been trying to find details on actual SAS compatibility for MB607SP-B and similar backplanes from Icy Dock. There are some models with MiniSAS HD connectors but most rely on SATA connectors. Would SAS2/SAS3 SSDs (15mm height, got some Toshiba and HGSTs handy) work at all in these, or Icy...
  12. A

WTB: (US) Intel DC S3700/S3710 and S35xx/S3600 SSDs, and SAS3 7mm SSDs, and U.2/M.2 NVMe SSDs

Hi! I'm upgrading some machines and making a low power Xeon D-15xx out of the replaced parts. Looking for: Intel DC S3700/S3710s in 400GB/800gb capacity, 4-6 units. Already have 4 units of 400GB S3700 so, I can either expand that to six, or get 2 of S3700 and then 4 of S3710 at a different...
  13. A

EU WTB: X9DRL-iF plus 2u coolers in good condition

Looking for a X9DRL-iF M/B to replace an ancient X8DTL-iF in a spare ESXi host, I need 2u coolers compatible with the ILM in the M/B too (did not find clear listings on eBay that were compatible with the right ILM). S/H to Europe for this one. M/B reference...
  14. A

Upgrading X10SDV-7TP4F and dual 2630v2: choices

I'm thinking of upgrading two of my actual home systems, one is a NAS duty - light VM host using a X10SDV-7TP4F and several spinners and SATA SSDs along some NVMe M.2 sticks, plus a few SAS3 SSDs. The other is an old and tired 2630v2, with an Asus workstation M/B that is giving up (128GB of DDR3...
  15. A

X10SDV-7TP4F PCIe bifurcation seemingly not working

Got a Supermicro AOC-SLG3-2M2 loaded with two sticks, and the MB BIOS upgarded to 2.0c (latest as of today). Once booted (and I power cycled two times just in case), lsblk and lspci report this: nvme0n1 nvme0n1 disk 447.1G SAMSUNG MZ1WV480HCGL-000MV none...
  16. A

Recommended (current) RAID controller for both PCI-E 2 and 3 ESXi hosts with SAS and SATA SSDs

I'm trying to figure out what controller is the most recommended nowadays for my use case, that is also readily available in the used market (bonus points if it's sold by Chinese sellers and known to work, or be flashable to LSI firmware). The host is a ESXi system running on an old-ish...
  17. A

3.5 adapter bracket for SAS SSDs (15mm height 1mm +/-)

I'm looking for a bracket that can convert a 3.5 bay to maybe a dual 15mm SSD stack, or just a single drive. In the past I machined aluminum profiles to directly screw the SSDs together unto a 3.5 support (which works great when the SSD has bottom facing screws or can latch with the side...
  18. A

Flex ATX backplate 3D model

Anyone has, by any chance, a finished model to print a Flex ATX blank plate (40mm fan space is fine). I'm using a Supermicro DC-DC to ATX "pisoPSU"-style adapter that gets power through a regular DC jack plug, and the case for the build has a Flex ATX slot. Been looking for a while, but before...
  19. A

AMD EPYC 7401P running temperatures

Any owners of AMD EPYC 7401P based systems that could give some information about the running temperatures they are experiencing with different workloads? I'm considering building an EPYC system but see some challenges with making it run cool and quiet, as the TDP probably requires a lot of...
  20. A

(UNOFFICIAL) Discord server for STH

Now, I'm not a great fan of Discord, as I prefer IRC for many reasons, and I certainly don't like the idea of chat rooms taking over written forums for sharing knowledge and talking about our computer lab or sysadmin hobbies... But I have created a (obviously unofficial) Discord server for STH...