Upgrading X10SDV-7TP4F and dual 2630v2: choices

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

anomaly

Jan 8, 2018
I'm thinking of upgrading two of my actual home systems, one is a NAS duty - light VM host using a
X10SDV-7TP4F and several spinners and SATA SSDs along some NVMe M.2 sticks, plus a few SAS3 SSDs. The other is an old and tired 2630v2, with an Asus workstation M/B that is giving up (128GB of DDR3 ECC installed, plus H/W RAID and some odd add-on cards. including a network capture Napatech card).

The NAS chassis is a Chenbro 42300 (Chenbro - Products) and the other host is housed in an Inter-Tech 4408 (the Rosewill/Norco cases in Europe, I don't recommend the backplane at all -I had to reapply solder and rework the power connector, which is an awkward, poorly soldered vertical ATX molex connector), which can do up to E-ATX. The Chenbro 42300 is not as roomy, it can house up to ATX M/Bs.

So far these seem to be my options:
  • Replace the X10SDV-7TP4F for a X11SDV running either the D-2166NT or the D-2183 in flex ATX form factor. This seems like the easiest upgrade staying within my power requirements, hoping it supports bifurcation properly.
    • Tempted to also go the EPYC route there.
  • Replace the dual 2630v2 with a single CPU EPYC Rome + M/B build, which means buying new RAM. I do need a fair amount of compute power and VM SLA in that host (it runs a few simulated Windows enterprise networks for security testing, some fuzzing harnesses and a lot of other assorted data processing tasks + DBs, including text processing).
The rack is 60cm deep, which is not good and always posed a problem, but I am considering replacing it in the future. I have a spare Lian-Li HPTX-compatible case too, but prefer to stay with rack mountable systems.

Anyone else has better suggestions?

How does the D-1537 compare to the D-2166NT?