Illegal request/can't perform IO on HGST SAS3 SSDs marked IBM-ESXS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

anomaly

Jan 8, 2018
Hi,

I got a bunch of HGST SAS3 SSDs long ago, and left them unused for a project that I'm finally working on. These are the 400G that used to be popular among us here looking for deals. They are HUSMM1640ASS20E models, connected to a HBA (sold as "OEM LSI 9300-8i" by it-serv-stor on the German eBay) with a set of supposedly good MiniSAS cables. I tested a HGST branded 1640 on the second port and another 8040 and they work fine. I'm about to swap them just to rule out a faulty cable.

However, after successfully formatting them to 512b sectors, this is what I get out of a simple hdparm -t test:
FAULTY HBA SAS3.jpg

Illegal request, and then the usual dump of the hex command bytes. sg_format completed fine, but that does not meant the drive is good.

I'm not sure if the drives are dead, if this is a known problem, etc. Definitely will appreciate any advice and suggestions! If the drives are dead, then the seller sent a batch of 5 dead drives sold as "good". So, fellow deal hunters, watch out. I might be able to dig out the exact name of the seller.

anomaly

Jan 8, 2018
Removed Type 2 protection, now they seem to be working fine. Thank you for mentioning it!!!

Now on to flashing IT firmware to the built in 3008...