(UNOFFICIAL) Discord server for STH

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anomaly

Jan 8, 2018
Now, I'm not a great fan of Discord, as I prefer IRC for many reasons, and I certainly don't like the idea of chat rooms taking over written forums for sharing knowledge and talking about our computer lab or sysadmin hobbies...

But I have created a (obviously unofficial) Discord server for STH at :

REMOVED - UNAUTHORIZED USE

There are channels for "Great Deals" and general chat, thus far. More will be created on a per-need basis and I would like to establish some sort of moderation team out of the STH site owners and most active forum users.

Obviously if Patrick or the other folks at STH feel opposed to this I can shut it down or do something else to reach an amicable resolution for everybody.

Take it easy!

Last edited by a moderator:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Is this something folks want?

If it is, we can make one. I would strongly prefer to have an official one at this point.

anomaly

Jan 8, 2018
Is this something folks want?

If it is, we can make one. I would strongly prefer to have an official one at this point.
I can mark this one as Unofficial until then, or give you administrator privileges on the current one. I have no idea about acceptance, but I already had a good interaction with another forum user that would have taken far more involvement if done through posts. We do need a more professional chat spot for STH that doesn't feel like other communities with a lot of newbie users that don't do much research prior to asking questions.

I think this fills that gap.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I am OK with the current IRC. I am not OK with this. If we are going to have a STH discord, we will have an official one.

anomaly

Jan 8, 2018
I am OK with the current IRC. I am not OK with this. If we are going to have a STH discord, we will have an official one.
Well, you can inherit the structure of what I have done, transferring/adding administrators is no issue with Discord servers. The name reflects its unofficial status while this is sorted out. My only interest is contributing to having a spot in a modern medium like Discord.

There are plenty of (unofficial) spots created by users for all kinds of online commercial (and free) platforms. I would rather not go into a useless tangent of whether someone did something "without permission". As far legalities go, there is no grounds for claiming wrongdoing because pretty much it qualified as fair use and the lack of commercial interest/purpose is obvious. Good faith is also pretty obvious. Actually holding a law degree, too. Just stating the facts before someone pulls the drama cord...

anomaly

Jan 8, 2018
Also: to make it even more clear: Discord ownership can be transferred, administrator roles can be assigned also arbitrarily, etc. I don't see the point in creating a new one if one can be transferred/given full administrative access to. Saved time. Unless there is value in "being the one who created it". Either way no one will be running the infrastructure behind it, Discord does, so technically the ownership is purely for use rights.... we are all in the same bucket with Discord. IRC on FreeNode is the same, I did not know we had one before it was mentioned.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I do not want STH on Discord. I appreciate that you spent the effort to set it up. STH is not a gaming site. Please delete.

We have had IRC for years so it is redundant.

Reactions: Tha_14

anomaly

Jan 8, 2018
I do not want STH on Discord. I appreciate that you spent the effort to set it up. STH is not a gaming site. Please delete.

We have had IRC for years so it is redundant.
Discord is not only used by gamers. I don't play videogames myself at all, most of the time, not on PC if I ever did.

I will remove all references to STH then to make sure there is no connection.

A single channel on IRC is also orders of magnitude more limited. You could run your own inspircd server easily... at least divide topics in different channels. Discord also allows voice... which means your users could talk to each other if they wanted to. I see a lot of potential in that for computer labs and people who have them as a hobby. The audience here is also more mature and informed than, say, the one from certain spots over at Reddit.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Please do remove all STH references, images, and content.

Status
Not open for further replies.