Search results

1. V

Looking for a 1u Redundant PSU Chassis with 2 x 2.5 bays

I have a PFSENSE Firewall based on a Supermicro X11SCL-LN4F board in a Supermicro 1U SC510-203B Chassis. This chassis has a single PSU, and no hotswap 2.5" bays. I am using a single PCIE card (ConnectX3 10Gb NIC) Recently I had my SSD die, and its a real pain as I have to remove the chassis...
  2. V

[FREE] [Pickup Houston TX] Dual E5-2680 V4 - Supermicro X10DRW-E Board

2 x Xeon E5-2680 V4's with Supermicro passive heatsinks (Narrow ILM) Supermicro X10DRW-E Motherboard (Dual 1Gb NIC, IPMI, etc) The Riser for the motherboard to give you 4 x PCIE-X8 Slots The WIO Rear Window for 2u Supermicro Chassis (So you could turn an ATX chassis into a WIO Chassis. I went...
  3. V

Searching for a small SFP+ and PoE+ Switch for my shed - 250ft fiber run

I am building a shed at the very back of my yard with an attached porch area that we can hang out. Its just far enough away from my house and detached garage that I lose WiFi from my 3 x Ruckus AP's. So, the shed will of course need networking for an AP. If I'm adding networking, I may as well...
  4. V

SwitchOS Lite - Any good?

I am looking for a small switch that has 10Gb SFP+ and PoE+ Ports for my shed, and I came across the CSS610-8P-2S+IN Its listed as just having SwitchOS Lite. I know a lot of people didn't like SwitchOS a few years ago. Have things changed? Will I regret getting this switch? Nothing crazy...
  5. V

Have I bamboozled myself? Realtek 8111EP with ESXi 7.0

I found a great deal on an ASUS PN50 Mini PC with a Ryzen 7 4800U. The passmark score of that is the same as a single E5-2680 V4 which I have 2 in my main ESXi box. My goal here is to throw 64GB of RAM in it, a 2TB NVMe SSD and move a bunch of workloads over to it and eventually decommission the...
  6. V

PFSENSE only showing 1 interface on X540-DA2

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this? I got an Intel X540-DA2, threw it in my PFSENSE box, but only 1 of the interfaces show up. I get ix0, but not ix1 I'm really not sure how to move forward. Past pulling the card and testing it in another machine, which will be a giant pain Any...
  7. V

Switching Overhaul - critique my decisions

I currently have a Dell X1052P as my main switch in my rack, and I'm using almost all ports, including the SFP+ Ports. I need more SFP+ ports, I want a switch I can manage with CLI, and I want something that will "just work" My plan is to replace the 1052P with the Cisco WS-C2960L-48PQ-LL which...
  8. V

Weird Spanning tree problem I can't figure out

I am having a weird spanning tree issue I've never seen before, and I can't wrap my head around SW1 - Dell X1052P with STP enabled by default SW2 - Cisco 2960-S with STP enabled by default The switches are connected via a 10G Trunk, multiple VLAN's across it I have a new TrueNAS system...
  9. V

CPU2 Getting too hot - E5-2680 V4

I have a dual socket Supermicro system, its been going fine for a few years, but I just recently added 12 drives to the front which were empty before, and increased the load a little bit (TrueNAS VM) I have (Had) the fans set to 25% and CPU1 was fine the entire time, only once getting even...
  10. V

SFP+ to 10Gbase-T Adapters - Running at 2.5G?

I watched this STH Video, and it mentioned that 6 of the adapters are able to run at 2.5, and 5G. This is not what I expected at all. As I figured that they were either 1G, or 10G. The question is, does the 10G Switch need to support 2.5G to negotiate this speed? Or will any SFP+ 10G switch...
  11. V

SAS3 Backplane question (Supermicro BPN-SAS3-826EL1)

I have a new chassis with a Supermicro BPN-SAS3-826EL1 backplane My question is, do I need to connect 2 SAS Cables from this expander backplane to my HBA? From the owner's manual it looks like you do which is fine with me. But for most other expanders I have seen, you only need 1 cable...
  12. V

Switching from Synology to TrueNAS - Need build help

I currently have a Synology DS1817+ and I love it, apart from the encrypted performance. It flat out sucks I looked into the DS1821+, and it turns out the encrypted performance isn't much better. So, I think I will switch to TrueNAS. I already have some hardware, so I'd like some advice is...
  13. V

Mounting a 12u wall mounted rack and 10G networking in garage

Hopefully this is the right part of the forum. I posted this on /r/homelab but it got removed for not being related to homelabs. As usual overmoderation is rampant over there. I want to share this as I was looking for ideas on how to mount it, and I didn't really find any good full guides or...
  14. V

Whats the lowest PSU I can run in my Supermicro Chassis?

I am downgrading my Supermicro box and I want to get a 400w~ PSU, but I don't know if it will work. Anyone know their way around Supermicro? The chassis is a SuperChassis 826BA-R1K28WB that comes with dual 1200w PSU's. When my load is less than 100w most of the time, I am losing a lot of efficiency
  15. V

Drop-in 2011-3 board for my WIO Supermicro Chassis?

I have a SuperChassis 826BA-R1K28WB, and I need a WIO drop in replacement board that supports 2011-3 CPU's (v3 and v4) Can I just get any WIO board and it will just fit?
  16. V

Switch suggestion for my hot garage?

I need a switch that has at least 1 10G SFP+ port, and at least 6 PoE+ ports, and at least 4 regular ports. More ports are just bonus. Must be managed Low power is key here, and it will live in my HOT garage. Thoughts? the PoE+ requirements seems to be limiting me here
  17. V

Silencing 2u Supermicro 826 fans

I have a Supermicro 826BA-R1K28WB, which has 3 x FAN-0126L4 fans. They draw around 6w each and are PWM I have the IPMI set to Optimal, but its still too loud sometimes. Sometimes I can't even hear it outside my closet, but then it will ramp up quite a bit and be too loud I tried pushing raw...
  18. V

LSI 9212-4i not functioning properly in ESXi, any ideas?

I have an LSI 9212-4i now with P20 IR firmware in my Supermicro ESXi box If I plug in my Intel DC S3500 800GB SSD, it will kinda work for 10 mins, and then just times out in ESXi If I plug in my Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, it works forever, but not right: If I create a new VM, it complains that...
  19. V

10G Compatibility - Netgear ProSafe GS752TXS

I have a Netgear ProSafe GS752TXS switch which has 4 x 10G SFP+ Ports I plan on adding a Mellanox Connectx-2 to both my ESXi host, and my Synology NAS. Both seem to be compatible, but I am confused about DAC Cables This is the eBay listing I am looking at - LOT OF 2 671798-001 COMPATIBLE...
  20. V

LACP in ESXi - Question about VMkernel port

I kind of changed the post, so the title is a little messed up now... I am toying with the idea of purchasing an Intel I350-T4 and adding it to my ESXi box, and then using one of the two built in gigabit ports ONLY for the VMkernel managment port Sample configuration of EtherChannel / Link...