Switching Overhaul - critique my decisions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

VirtualBacon

Aug 21, 2017
I currently have a Dell X1052P as my main switch in my rack, and I'm using almost all ports, including the SFP+ Ports. I need more SFP+ ports, I want a switch I can manage with CLI, and I want something that will "just work"

My plan is to replace the 1052P with the Cisco WS-C2960L-48PQ-LL which is $1000

Then, I will add a Mikrotik CRS317-1G-16S+RM for 10G connectivity

Then, a Mikrotik CSS326-24G-2S+RM as an OOBM switch. Since I am so low on ports, I need to gain some. I think this might be the best way. I have an extra interface of my PFSENSE box, so I plan to connect it directly to the switch. That saves me all the OOBM ports (Currently only 7-8) but will allow me to expand without issue. Connecting it to my PFSENSE box directly makes it easier to manage a networking issue using the OOBM management

The nice thing about these are they are brand new, and VERY low power. Downside is they use a power brick, and its not Cisco CLI

Is the CLI on SwOS alright, or should I get a Cisco SG300-28 used instead? Then my entire stack but the 10G would be Cisco

I also have a 2960S in the garage

Last edited:

VirtualBacon

Aug 21, 2017
Well, I just ordered a Cisco SG300-28

The CSS326-24G-2S+RM apparently doesn't even have CLI config. Honestly I can't stand my current Dell without CLI

pcmoore

Apr 14, 2018
New England, USA
Then, a Mikrotik CSS326-24G-2S+RM as an OOBM switch ... Downside is they use a power brick ...
On the CRS326 you can fit a power supply inside the switch, and I would expect one to be able to do the same on the CSS326. I did it myself on a switch I picked up to play with Mikrotik's RouterOS/SwitchOS before I ultimately decided they were either too quirky (RouterOS) or too simplistic (SwitchOS) for my tastes.

At some point I should dust off that switch and see if recent SwitchOS builds have improved things.