LACP in ESXi - Question about VMkernel port

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

VirtualBacon

Aug 21, 2017
I kind of changed the post, so the title is a little messed up now...

I am toying with the idea of purchasing an Intel I350-T4 and adding it to my ESXi box, and then using one of the two built in gigabit ports ONLY for the VMkernel managment port

Sample configuration of EtherChannel / Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP) with ESXi/ESX and Cisco/HP switches (1004048) | VMware KB

However, it looks like LACP its not possible on a standard switch? It seems to suggest its only possible on a Distributed switch.

So, my question is: Can I create a new standard switch in ESXi 6.5 and assign 4 NIC's and use LACP with IP Hash routing?

The above link does seem to suggest LACP required "Physical switch configuration is less flexible and requires that physical switch ports be configured for a static EtherChannel bond. For more information, see Sample configuration of EtherChannel / Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP) with ESXi/ESX and Cisco/HP switches (1004048)."

But then the article says LACP is only supported on a Distributed switch. So, do I need to create a Static LAG (Also called etherchannel???) on my Cisco switch which has LACP Disabled (Hence static)?

Am I understanding this correctly?

Sample config:

ESXI:

New vSwitch, 4 ports assigned - Set to Load Balance with IP Hash
ALSO need to change the VM port group to Load Balance with IP Hash? It seems to require it?

Cisco Switch:

New Static LAG (LACP disabled) with the four ports

Then everything should work?

Last edited: