CPU2 Getting too hot - E5-2680 V4

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

VirtualBacon

Aug 21, 2017
I have a dual socket Supermicro system, its been going fine for a few years, but I just recently added 12 drives to the front which were empty before, and increased the load a little bit (TrueNAS VM)

I have (Had) the fans set to 25% and CPU1 was fine the entire time, only once getting even slightly close to the limit. However, CPU2 multiple times hit 100 and throttled and complained unless I turn the fans up. The rest of the system was fine. Turning the fan speed up would immediately solve the problem, I have a feeling the pressure all the way back there by CPU2 just isn't enough to properly make it through the heatsink

Right now I'm at around 35% fan speed which is a little too loud for my liking

Has anyone tried attaching a 60mm Noctua fan to the passive 2011 heatsinks with any good results?

Fan on the rear or the front of the heatsink for best results? I was thinking the rear so that the air from the fan still hits it dead on

Last edited:

VirtualBacon

Aug 21, 2017
No but I don't think its an issue, if I spin up the fans slightly both CPU's will end up at the same temperature, I think its just that CPU2 is much further away from the direct airflow

I installed the CPU and heatsink a year or two ago, and used AS5 Paste

VirtualBacon

Aug 21, 2017
60mm fan does not fit! There is not enough gap between CPU1 and CPU2

But, I replaced all three 80mm fans with FAN-0094L4 / 9G0812P1G09

WOW. These things move more air and are around half as loud. Now I can just turn the fan speed up. The stock Nidec Fans suck!

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Oops...late to the party. Not sure which Supermicro board you have, but from what I've read on the trusty internet, and in my own experience, for X9 series boards at least, CPU2 always reports a few degrees hotter. I built a system a while back with an X9 board that had identical dedicated watercooling loops, and CPU 2 still reported 5-6 degrees hotter.

Obviously its more than a sensor reporting issue when you get throttling. But a few degrees difference seems to be totally normal and about the best you can hope for.

Sorry your 60mm fan didn't fit. I've got a system right now with a Noctua 60mm fan in front of a SM 2U passive heatsink and it really does the job. The fan's included rubber mounting pegs fit just right between the heatsink fins to keep it secure.

Its a super low power system (single E5-2630L) that idles at about 45w, so not a lot of heat. The handful of 5400rpm SATA drives run pretty cool anyway, so the Nidecs are dialed down to 20% keep them cool. The 60mm heatsink fan plus a 40mm above the onboard LSI 3008 & adjacent C612 chipset cool the board components right at the heat sources. Pretty silent overall.

But, I replaced all three 80mm fans with FAN-0094L4 / 9G0812P1G09
That's good info to know. I've got two SM 2U chassis I got used that I'm getting ready to build out with higher power systems and both have Nidecs in the fan wall.

VirtualBacon

Aug 21, 2017
I would not hesitate at all to swap in the San Ace's. In fact, they are so good I regret buying 80mm Noctua's for my TrueNAS built

I will for sure buy another three pack just to have some spares

Yeah these I think are getting too hot for sure. It hits 100 and beeps

Reactions: Markess

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Is it still running hot after the fan switch? If so, are you able to put the 60mm fan behind the heatsink instead to pull air through? If the watercooling "gurus" all over Youtube are to be believed, pull is just about as effective as push.

VirtualBacon

Aug 21, 2017
No space for the 60 anywhere, there is a large VRM (I assume) heatsink behind it

I'd have to get a new heatsink to fit one in there I think

But, no the CPU is now very cool. I think these fans must have more static pressure or something (IDK, I'm not an engineer). CPU1 and CPU2 are now very close, before there was a 15-20 degree difference

Reactions: Markess