Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ano

Nov 7, 2022
it was for getting wattage readout with the stuff I had, to get an idea what could be done, and how it was on power usage vs other 24 ports

I will only use about 10 ports on it I think... but I might also be able to replace the oob/1G switch in one of my racks with it, since it has enough 10g sfp+ ports!

kinda bummed (I knew this) no redundant PSU's on it

wonder what a 24 or 48 port 7450 actually use. then again I do like my arista 7010t

klui

Feb 3, 2019
No, a "cable" means a physical entity that could contain separate components inside. Sometimes those components might be encased in an outer sheath, and other times those components might be attached to each other, like speaker cables.

Look at a Category ethernet cable. It has individual pairs of conductors that are encased with their own insulation. But the cable comprise of the whole assembly.

Same for fiber. There are cables that have multiple strands of fiber inside the outer jacket. If your needs require two fiber strands get a cable with duplex connectors of your choice. One transceiver is all you need to use such a cable assembly on each end. There are exceptions like MPO trunk cables.

See https://www.commscope.com/globalassets/digizuite/182077-p360-ujvmxmxal-comprehensiveexternal.pdf. This cable assembly has 96 fibers and each end has 8 MPO connectors.

Just because ISPs tend to use single strand fiber in the last mile doesn't mean you need to follow that practice.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
"pair" meaning 2 cables of OM3. In other words, I run two physical different OM3 cables from one ICX to another ICX so then I also need to obtain four transreceivers. Correct? :)
2 of the OM3 cables where each cable has two connectors on each end? If so, then yes. You are plugging each OM3 cable into a different SFP+ port on the switch, correct?

If you want to be 100% sure, you could always upload a photo or send us a link to the cables you have. :)

servethehomefan

Mar 31, 2024
2 of the OM3 cables where each cable has two connectors on each end? If so, then yes. You are plugging each OM3 cable into a different SFP+ port on the switch, correct?

If you want to be 100% sure, you could always upload a photo or send us a link to the cables you have. :)
The cable I have is from Monoprice OM3 LC/LC 50/125 Type, Multi Mode, 10GB. Fiber count says "Duplex" so I suspect there are 2 fibers in the cable. I then intend to use Brocade 10GB 57-0000075-01 off of eBay (like $10 each) for each end. I don't understand whether I need two of these cables or just one to create a stack using Brocade ICX switches.

Switch one and Switch two are 100 feet away from each other and I want them to stack.

sic0048

Dec 24, 2018
Only one connection is required to create a stacking link. If you are stacking three or more switches, then using two connections per switch will ensure connectivity between switches even if one switch fails (when wired together correctly - see the stacking manual for more details). In your case, you are only stacking two switches, so one connection is all that is needed.

Long story short, you'll need one duplex fiber run with a SFP+ fiber module at each end.

m0rphl1ng

Apr 4, 2024
Incredibly novice question--is there a good way to connect an ICX6610 to a 2.5GbE RJ45 switch like a Netgear MS108UP?

In my mind I figured I could just use an SFP+ to RJ45 module that can do 2.5GbE, but then I realized that I wasn't certain that the SFP+ port on the ICX6610 could do that speed--and upon reading through the documentation, it sounds like these ports are only either 10gig or 1gig--with nothing in between.

Last edited:

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
The cable I have is from Monoprice OM3 LC/LC 50/125 Type, Multi Mode, 10GB. Fiber count says "Duplex" so I suspect there are 2 fibers in the cable. I then intend to use Brocade 10GB 57-0000075-01 off of eBay (like $10 each) for each end. I don't understand whether I need two of these cables or just one to create a stack using Brocade ICX switches.

Switch one and Switch two are 100 feet away from each other and I want them to stack.
Duplex cables use one of the fibers for send and one for receive like I described earlier. To use each fiber separately you need more expensive transceivers that use different wavelengths to send traffic both ways over a single fiber. You don't need to do that here though.

Regarding stacking the Brocade ICX switches, I would defer to the post by @sic0048 above. :)

Incredibly novice question--is there a good way to connect an ICX6610 to a 2.5GbE RJ45 switch like a Netgear MS108UP?

In my mind I figured I could just use an SFP+ to RJ45 module that can do 2.5GbE, but then I realized that I wasn't certain that the SFP+ port on the ICX6610 could do that speed--and upon reading through the documentation, it sounds like these ports are only either 10gig or 1gig--with nothing in between.
No, 2.5GBASE-T and 5GBASE-T are newer standards than 10GBASE-T so they generally don't work with these older network devices. You can however find transceivers that negotiate 10GbE with the switch and then those slower speeds with the device on the other end of the cable, doing speed limiting internally in the transceiver. Many of the chips don't handle that properly though based on tests here on the forum, so you want a transceiver using one of the Aquantia chips. Thankfully, the 10Gtek ASF-10G2-T (note the "2" in the model name) that you can find on Amazon or AliExpress is using the Marvell/Aquantia AQR113C and it generally works fine.

Another option is to buy a cheap unmanaged 4 * 2.5GBASE-T + 2 * 10G SFP+ switch off of AliExpress and basically use it as a media converter. The HiSource one can sometimes be had for as low as roughly $25-30, or as low as $18 if you are a new user. I own one of those and it works perfectly fine with both DACs and fiber transceivers. Using a switch just to connect to a different switch might be a bit weird though. :D

Reactions: m0rphl1ng

m0rphl1ng

Apr 4, 2024
No, 2.5GBASE-T and 5GBASE-T are newer standards than 10GBASE-T so they generally don't work with these older network devices. You can however find transceivers that negotiate 10GbE with the switch and then those slower speeds with the device on the other end of the cable, doing speed limiting internally in the transceiver. Many of the chips don't handle that properly though based on tests here on the forum, so you want a transceiver using one of the Aquantia chips. Thankfully, the 10Gtek ASF-10G2-T (note the "2" in the model name) that you can find on Amazon or AliExpress is using the Marvell/Aquantia AQR113C and it generally works fine.

Another option is to buy a cheap unmanaged 4 * 2.5GBASE-T + 2 * 10G SFP+ switch off of AliExpress and basically use it as a media converter. The HiSource one can sometimes be had for as low as roughly $25-30, or as low as $18 if you are a new user. I own one of those and it works perfectly fine with both DACs and fiber transceivers. Using a switch just to connect to a different switch might be a bit weird though. :D
Thanks for the awesome response!

I think that just using an ASF-10G2-T transceiver for $53 is a good option for me, but I'm keeping that little switch in mind... might be a great option to toss in each room of the house that needs a switch.

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
ok... keeping the transceiver question going!!!

I have 4 pc's connected via fiber and work great at 10gb!!!!

Now I have a Lenovo Tiny that I am getting a thunderbolt 10gb nic
Solo10G (10GBASE-T 10Gb Ethernet Thunderbolt Adapter) - SONNETTECH
which is RJ45. This works as that machine is in my living room and I have a cat 5e cable running back to my rack...

I want to put an rj45 transceiver into my brocade 7250 10gb port...
would you go with

10G SFP+ to RJ45 Copper Module 10gb SFP 30M For Cisco TP-LINK D-Link Mikrotik | eBay
or
10G SFP+ Module 10GbE Copper SFP Modules Optical Port Turn to RJ45 Ethernet7511 | eBay

************Edited
Or I just noticed my Fios CR1000A has a 10GBE Lan port and I could just plug into that and save the $ as the router has an rj45 10gbe and I wouldnt need a transceiver... wait, typing and thinking not a good deal.. because I currently have the 10gbe line going into the brocade... yes at 1gb speed so i would need to do a transceiver regardless because that pc would go from it to 10gbe through lan 1 which is 1gb to get back to my network.. sorry, my brain and adhd thinks fast...

Last edited:

KaneTW

Aug 1, 2023
Code:
The stack unit 1 chassis info:

Power supply 1 present, status failed
Power Supply 1 Fan has failed
Power supply 2 (AC - PoE) present, status ok
        Model Number:   23-0000142-02
        Serial Number:  A9W
        Firmware Ver:    C
Power supply 2 Fan Air Flow Direction:  Front to Back

Fan 1 not present
Fan 2 ok, speed (auto): [[1]]<->2

Fan controlled temperature: 79.0 deg-C

Fan speed switching temperature thresholds:
                Speed 1: NM<----->84       deg-C
                Speed 2:       79<-----> 87 deg-C (shutdown)

Fan 2 Air Flow Direction:  Front to Back
MAC 1 Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 65.0 deg-C
MAC 2 Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 79.0 deg-C
CPU Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 49.0 deg-C
sensor A Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 61.5 deg-C
sensor B Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 47.5 deg-C
sensor C Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 57.5 deg-C
stacking card Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 49.0 deg-C
        Warning level.......: 77.0 deg-C
        Shutdown level......: 87.0 deg-C
Anyone know what causes the high MAC 2 temps? I guess I should just open it up and clean it, but it's in production and eugh.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
So ... upgraded the ICX7650 to 10.0.10c and I had some issues with the CLI being non functional. Simply put -after a while, the CLI would error out with CLI_SHELL_FAILED: SCP_HDLR-TASK ITC_INIT, ITC_ERR[27] and the only thing that would help is a reload. I read that Ruckus was planning fixes in 10.0.10c_cd3 or something - upgraded now to 10.0.20 and will report back, but it's pretty nasty if they let something so basic get past QA

• Haha
Reactions: TeleFragger

BoGs

Feb 18, 2019
I was looking at replacing my ICX6610 with something that uses less power since I do not use QSFP. I am debating some ICX7150(-24P and -C12P) but read that the power supply for these models is terrible and burns up. Anyone happen to know any truths around that statement? I have 3 POE devices in one location and 12 in another all interconnected by SFP+.

Anyone happen to know power supply parts if the PSU craps itself. i searched the thread and could not find anything.

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
I was looking at replacing my ICX6610 with something that uses less power since I do not use QSFP. I am debating some ICX7150(-24P and -C12P) but read that the power supply for these models is terrible and burns up. Anyone happen to know any truths around that statement? I have 3 POE devices in one location and 12 in another all interconnected by SFP+.

Anyone happen to know power supply parts if the PSU craps itself. i searched the thread and could not find anything.
not sure but i like my 7250... only been using for a few weeks... 7 POE devices and got 1 more to go.. and 4 10gb sfp+

shremi

Jun 29, 2020
Hello guys so i need a little help flashing my new switches . a couple of 7250s

I am using the same cable that i used to flash the 6450s a couple of years ago .

I have connected to the management port and used putty to connect , however i get no signs of connection . The lights on the port are not blinking.

I think i have the drivers installed correctly

Am i missing something ?

1712944320496.png
1712944346538.png
1712944362821.png
1712944567347.png

Ralph_IT

I'm called Ralph
Apr 12, 2021
/home
I think you need to use the mini-usb serial console, not the management port.
Since it's not a "proper" serial, you'll need something like this

Koop

Jan 24, 2024
Is there any difference/concern if a switch is branded as Rukus? I saw an auction for a ICX7250-24P that was Rukus branded.

I assume there's no actual difference but you never know. Figured I'd ask. Obviously newer but you never know what things get "cost reduced" during a hardware refresh of the same product.

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
Is there any difference/concern if a switch is branded as Rukus? I saw an auction for a ICX7250-24P that was Rukus branded.

I assume there's no actual difference but you never know. Figured I'd ask. Obviously newer but you never know what things get "cost reduced" during a hardware refresh of the same product.
mine says rukas when i go in... 7250-48p poe

Ralph_IT

I'm called Ralph
Apr 12, 2021
/home

I'd say there's none.
You can even get an ANX 7150-C12P and I'm sure it's just a normal Brocade/Ruckus with a different enclosure.