Drag to reposition cover

ASUS Pro WS W790E-SAGE SE + Intel Xeon Sapphire Rapids SP ES = works it

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pisiiki

Mar 3, 2024
Hello,

I have finally acquired all the hardware needed to build my machine:

- Pro WS W790E-SAGE SE
- QYFS
- Kingston FURY Renegade Pro PnP 128GB 4800MT/s (4x32)

However, it appears that I am unable to get past the POST; the machine stops at Q-CODE 29, and an LED indicating RAM failure lights up. The BMC is operational. I am unsure of how to proceed.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Hello,

I have finally acquired all the hardware needed to build my machine:

- Pro WS W790E-SAGE SE
- QYFS
- Kingston FURY Renegade Pro PnP 128GB 4800MT/s (4x32)

However, it appears that I am unable to get past the POST; the machine stops at Q-CODE 29, and an LED indicating RAM failure lights up. The BMC is operational. I am unsure of how to proceed.

Thanks.
I think best options are:

Reduce to single dimm and test if that works. Find at least one working dimm on any of the slots. Manual says slot order is not important.

Last edited:
Reactions: pisiiki

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I build mine with W790E-SAGE SE and 8461V, thanks to @RolloZ170. I haven't hit any issues yet and raw performance and capabilities trumps over LGA 3647 and LGA 4189 systems less than the cost.

Last edited:

AVID-MEDIA

Nov 26, 2023
I was very interested in this CPU model Xeon Platinum 8480+ ES QYFS
I want to ask a question, which motherboard supports the ES version, no Gigabyte/Asus/Asrock
Supermicro series
Any answer will be accepted Regards

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I was very interested in this CPU model Xeon Platinum 8480+ ES QYFS
I want to ask a question, which motherboard supports the ES version, no Gigabyte/Asus/Asrock
Supermicro series
Any answer will be accepted Regards

DHamov

Jan 12, 2024

When tried the Asus Sage, i also got a slow hart attack from no post for a while. The issue in my case was that eventhough it looked like the ram was seated fine it was not. I have placed quite a lot of rdimms in my life, also ddr5. But in the sage i had to do reseat some dimms 3 times. So yes easiest is first to reduce to 1 dimm, go gpu, try the 1 dimm taking it out and pitting it in and try again a couple of times. If no try one of the other rdimms.

Another thing is that the first time a particular memory configuration, the motherboard is training or calibrating itself or whatever and it can also take quite a lot of time. Looking like its stuck, but eventually, it can get out. So have some patience depending on the q-code it might be busy and you maybe need to wait 4 minutes or so and then maybe it continues. If you wait long enough, it will some times reset and try again. But maybe not always. On the sage there is also a flashback and reset cmos button, even on the back pannel so that it is convenient to reach. With my previous w790 ace, i could never post using any xmp profile with fury renagate pro 5600, the only settings that worked for me was almost Everything about memory on auto but set the frequency manually. Same as how i now use the micron server ram and overclock it. With any xmp even the 4800 setting it was not posting. so i never got any good cl timings. Now with micron server rdimms timings are 'automatically better' as stock but the same cl 40 as i had with the fury.
Good luck!

Reactions: pisiiki

DHamov

Jan 12, 2024
I was able to get memory overclocking work as well. I also pushed the bclk to 104mHz; no problem so far :)
Happy that it worked for you. But settings to do it are, not so intuitive to find with so many advanced options. The simplest one is easy to overlook. At least it also took me a while.

What speeds did you try? What ram do you have?

Last edited:

AVID-MEDIA

Nov 26, 2023
Thanks for the list
If anyone needs a info about Haswell/Broadwell ES/QS CPU HERE more info

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Happy that it worked for you. But settings to do it not so intuitive to find with so many advanced options, the simplest one is easy to overlook. At least it also took me a while.

What speeds did you try? What ram do you have?
I think disabling svid did it for me. Not sure what that is.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
little Notes:
in the ES CPU Compatibility List,about 4189 Socket
you can add info for the mobo SM-X12SPL-F + ES QWAT
working good and stability with
BIOS v1.6
BMC v 01.03.05
I tested it from personal experience
BIOS v1.6 Bmc v 01.03.08
the system booting, everything is displayed, but, when you start to put a load on the cpu
the fans are loaded at full power, lowered and so on in cyclic order, that is, there is no stability
exactly the same situation with
BIOS v1.9 BMC v 01.03.11
I don’t know, maybe it’s just me, but on the other hand, the motherboard is completely new, SM replaced it under warranty
I'm attaching a screenshot so that if anyone needs it, I can see it

View attachment 35518
I believe everyone has write permission. Do you want to add your self?

Reactions: AVID-MEDIA

AVID-MEDIA

Nov 26, 2023
BMC starts Panik mode gain, and repeat.......
Okay, why then on BIOS v 1.6 and BMC 01.03.05 the fan adjustment works perfectly/wonderful
on the latest versions I tested for about 5-6 minutes, the fan adjustment still did not stabilize, although I have professional server fans, Delta/Nidec.
Moreover, I tried to optimize the fans via the Web GUI, no response

AVID-MEDIA

Nov 26, 2023
Guys, who have systems on new rapids
Please share the test results
for example: AIDA64 CPU-Queen, System Stability Test Is there throttling or not?
Cinebench's 15/20/23/24
WinRar/7zip How long does it take to archive a 5 GB file?
AvidMediaComposer/AdobePP/Davinci Resolve, latest version
How long will it take to save a 4K RED File? on a one hour timeline

Regards