Tyan S8030GM2NE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MartB

Oct 18, 2023
martb.dev
Hey im getting
Unable to send RAW command (channel=0x0 netfn=0x2e lun=0x0 cmd=0x5 rsp=0xc7): Request data length invalid

when trying to read the fan speed like outlined a few pages before.

Im running the latest BMC, any idea?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Hey im getting
Unable to send RAW command (channel=0x0 netfn=0x2e lun=0x0 cmd=0x5 rsp=0xc7): Request data length invalid

when trying to read the fan speed like outlined a few pages before.

Im running the latest BMC, any idea?
pls provide more info: what exactly have you entered.

MartB

Oct 18, 2023
martb.dev
I have 3 sys fan sensor values and 1 cpu in the BMC i will just check tomorrow. I tried all ids from 00-05

Edit: No difference must be something with the newer BMC versions?

Last edited:

WenleZ

Aug 9, 2016
Chicago
www.wenlez.com
I recently built an Epyc rig with Tyan S8030. The fan speed is super low (~600rpm) and I can't seem to use the ipmitool with the provided example as well.

BMC Version 4.11.0
BIOS Version V2.02

Code:
 ipmitool  -H 10.x.x.x -U root -P MyPass sdr | grep FAN
CPU_FAN          | 2346 RPM          | ok
SYS_FAN_1        | 828 RPM           | ok
SYS_FAN_2        | no reading        | ns
SYS_FAN_3        | no reading        | ns
SYS_FAN_4        | 414 RPM           | ok
SYS_FAN_5        | no reading        | ns
SYS_FAN_6        | no reading        | ns
SYS_FAN_7        | no reading        | ns
SYS_FAN_8        | no reading        | ns
SYS_FAN_9        | no reading        | ns
SYS_FAN_10       | no reading        | ns
SYS_FAN_11       | no reading        | ns
SYS_FAN_12       | no reading        | ns

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: mtg

MartB

Oct 18, 2023
martb.dev
I recently built an Epyc rig with Tyan S8030. The fan speed is super low (~600rpm) and I can't seem to use the ipmitool with the provided example as well.

BMC Version 4.11.0
BIOS Version V2.02
Wilfredo Uy (@Tyan) provided me the command required for the 4.11.0 BMC

Use the following for fan control on this version:
Bash:
ipmitool -I lanplus -H YourHost -U root -P '' raw 0x2e 0x44 0xfd 0x19 0x00 0x05 0x01 0x64
Where:
  • 0x05 is the PWM id from the list attached below in hex from 0x0 - 0x5
  • 0x64 is the PWM duty cycle from 0 - 100 in hex 0x0 - 0x64
Fan List:
  • CPU0_FAN (PWM0)
  • CPU1_FAN (PWM1)
  • SYS_FAN_1(PWM2)
  • SYS_FAN_2(PWM3)
  • SYS_FAN_3(PWM4)
  • SYS_FAN_4(PWM5)
Love this board so far and i though i can give back something.

Reactions: mtg and gb00s

adam2eden

Oct 18, 2013
I bought a used board and just started testing. I am having issue with the board not starting up.
Initially I wanted to use the ipmi to make all the installations like with my supermicro board. I found the ipmi MAC in my router interface but somehow it didn't have an ip address. The BMC light was blinking, meaning it was ready according to the manual. So I went to reset the BMC using the jumper J101. After this I cannot even see the ipmi in the router anymore and the BMC LED is solid.
Finally I gave in and bought a VGA display and found there is no POST at all... The seller showed me the POST in his test and told me I should wait for 1min for the POST and fan, which doesn't work for me. All I have now is a solid BMC LED and the blue ID LED when push the ID button.
Any suggestion what to do next?

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
I bought a used board and just started testing. I am having issue with the board not starting up.
Initially I wanted to use the ipmi to make all the installations like with my supermicro board. I found the ipmi MAC in my router interface but somehow it didn't have an ip address. The BMC light was blinking, meaning it was ready according to the manual. So I went to reset the BMC using the jumper J101. After this I cannot even see the ipmi in the router anymore and the BMC LED is solid.
Finally I gave in and bought a VGA display and found there is no POST at all... The seller showed me the POST in his test and told me I should wait for 1min for the POST and fan, which doesn't work for me. All I have now is a solid BMC LED and the blue ID LED when push the ID button.
Any suggestion what to do next?
The usual troubleshooting steps
- test with board outside a case (to make sure there's no short circuits)
- check memory & CPU installed correctly
- check CPU socket (no bent pins)
- is your router handing out DHCP correctly?
- connect a power switch to front panel PWR and check if fans spin on power

adam2eden

Oct 18, 2013
The usual troubleshooting steps
- test with board outside a case (to make sure there's no short circuits)
- check memory & CPU installed correctly
- check CPU socket (no bent pins)
- is your router handing out DHCP correctly?
- connect a power switch to front panel PWR and check if fans spin on power
Thanks.
- no bent pins
- Memory and CPU look good. The RAMS are taken
- not sure about router as I use a TPlink deco and it doesn't have a very informative GUI. I was hoping to use the VGA display at this point.
- The fans don't spin no matter if I push the front panel PWR or short the pins. I tested the PSU on another system and it is good. The cables are good too.

I wonder if anyone else have this fan not spinning issue. I had an ASROCK board which I couldn't make it POST (no fan spinning as well) at first until I found the IPMI. Not sure if this is a similar case.

Last edited:

sam55todd

May 11, 2023
Shouldn't by design IPMI be available even without RAM and CPU (and consequently any FAN activity) ?
I've tested IPMI side of the board (different brand - SuperMicro) on arrival without buying CPU first.

You're using management network port, not regular LAN ports, right?

Also - if I'm not mistaken my IPMI healthy state is when green led is slowly blinking, not solid-green.
That's why it's sometimes called "heartbeat".

but yes - resetting BMC to factory state sometimes might be the first remedy, e.g. in case if management network has static IP/Mask values manually-configured instead of automatic via DHCP

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
--
The BMC light was blinking, meaning it was ready according to the manual. So I went to reset the BMC using the jumper J101. After this I cannot even see the ipmi in the router anymore and the BMC LED is solid.
what type of blinkning ?
fast, or slow on/off in second intervals ?
have you set the jumper back to default pos ?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Shouldn't by design IPMI be available even without RAM and CPU (and consequently any FAN activity) ?
sure
So I went to reset the BMC using the jumper J101. After this I cannot even see the ipmi in the router anymore and the BMC LED is solid.
with default setting the FPGA waits for BMC to be ready, you can not turn on the board before.
J43: Bypass BMC Jumper

adam2eden

Oct 18, 2013
--

what type of blinkning ?
fast, or slow on/off in second intervals ?
have you set the jumper back to default pos ?
slow on/off in second intervals. When this happened I could see BMC MAC in router, but no IP addr. Now the BMC light is solid. I believe I put all the jumpers back to default.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
slow on/off in second intervals. When this happened I could see BMC MAC in router, but no IP addr. Now the BMC light is solid. I believe I put all the jumpers back to default.
means the BMC is dead now or takes time to init.flash.

adam2eden

Oct 18, 2013
means the BMC is dead now or takes time to init.flash.
I did try to reset BMC at one point.
I changed J101 and long pressed the ID button.

J101: ID Button Switch
Pin 1-2 Closed: Press 5 seconds for BMC HW Reset

I think after this the BMC MAC stopped showing up in router and the BMC LED became solid.