Tyan S8030GM2NE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nickwalt

Oct 4, 2023
Brisbane
Fortunately my H12SSL-i is Rev. 1.02. But I'll be extra careful to avoid scrapes when handling it or adding cards.

I have a RX 5700 XT and don't intend replacing it anytime soon as Battlefield 3 is liquid smooth on it. That generation of Radeon doesn't have SAM, which is AMD's version of Resizable Bar.

The Tyan's bare bones BMC isn't an issue for a desktop PC.

I'm leaning towards Threadripper Pro and Ryzen 7950X. If I can get 128-256GB unregistered ECC for the Ryzen this might help produce a more stable experience. Will have to check out how effective the unregistered ECC is.

If the Tyan has good support of GPUs I would consider it - SAM not withstanding. That said, it may be that a Ryzen 7950X with plenty of memory could handle a tonne of VMs in a lab and still do everything else smoothly, so I won't need a 24-32 core Epyc or TR. It seems like a 12 or 16 core Epyc or 5000 series TR just cannot compete with a 16 core 7950X with a tonne of DDR5. I'm not likely to need many lanes and my 5700 XT can run as fast on only eight lanes so can use the other x8 for dual NVME (if the BIOS supports Bifurcation, which is pretty sketchy on AM5 chipsets.

Last edited:

MartB

Oct 18, 2023
martb.dev
Is this the 4 pin header?
I am new to this and would really appreciate if you can help with more details. Thanks.

Yup thats the port you need to connect to.
Buy a cheap USB->UART adapter (e.g one with the CP2104 chipset) and some "gpio" wires e.g for a raspberry pi and try the following.

Install a serial client like tio on linux or putty on windows and open the serial connection to the adapter (115200 BAUD)

Warning: do under no circumstance connect the 3.3V from the adapter to this header!
Next, try to locate, TX, RX and GND on this connector by simply swapping around the wires until you get a working connection in your terminal.
Hint: If you can read stuff but not type,your RX is hooked up correctly but you need to find TX.
Hint2: If you get garbled output your RX could be correct but the GND connection is wrong.

Most adapters are labeled, so it should be pretty straightforward to play around with this.

If the BMC is the culprit, it is possible to flash a new BMC firmware using this serial port but it will be painfully slow, but if you have 24 hours + to spare it should be fine. (There is a faster way but that requires way more setup and instruction work and a working u-boot bootloader).
(I can provide details later if you are willing to take this route)

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I bought a used board and just started testing. I am having issue with the board not starting up.
Initially I wanted to use the ipmi to make all the installations like with my supermicro board. I found the ipmi MAC in my router interface but somehow it didn't have an ip address. The BMC light was blinking, meaning it was ready according to the manual. So I went to reset the BMC using the jumper J101. After this I cannot even see the ipmi in the router anymore and the BMC LED is solid.
you should know: the issue can also be a worn out BMC FW chip(too many flash writes)
had that issue with old FW on h11 epyc board. with a new flash chip the board runs fine again.
especialy the HW reset action result in a dead end makes me thinking this way.

adam2eden

Oct 18, 2013
Yup thats the port you need to connect to.
Buy a cheap USB->UART adapter (e.g one with the CP2104 chipset) and some "gpio" wires e.g for a raspberry pi and try the following.

Install a serial client like tio on linux or putty on windows and open the serial connection to the adapter (115200 BAUD)

Warning: do under no circumstance connect the 3.3V from the adapter to this header!
Next, try to locate, TX, RX and GND on this connector by simply swapping around the wires until you get a working connection in your terminal.
Hint: If you can read stuff but not type,your RX is hooked up correctly but you need to find TX.
Hint2: If you get garbled output your RX could be correct but the GND connection is wrong.

Most adapters are labeled, so it should be pretty straightforward to play around with this.

If the BMC is the culprit, it is possible to flash a new BMC firmware using this serial port but it will be painfully slow, but if you have 24 hours + to spare it should be fine. (There is a faster way but that requires way more setup and instruction work and a working u-boot bootloader).
(I can provide details later if you are willing to take this route)
Thanks for all these details. I bought the first adapter a few days ago and received it yesterday. I will have the 2nd later.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HLSS5T4?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B1RQRGL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I messed around with the FIDI adapter, using only 3 wires (rx tx gnd), but was only able to receive some garbled text even after I tried all 24 combinations. I did:
1. connect all power cords and with PSU on
2. try different pin positions
3. while all this time have the adapter connected to the 2nd computer
4. make sure COM4 is always shown under windows device manager and PUTTY connected
5. I also measured the voltage. The first 3 pins (from left) is ~3.3V higher to the 4th pin.
Did I do something wrong? Should I start all over (power, usb connection etc.) every time switching the pins?

IMG_1754.jpg

Last edited:

adam2eden

Oct 18, 2013
you should know: the issue can also be a worn out BMC FW chip(too many flash writes)
had that issue with old FW on h11 epyc board. with a new flash chip the board runs fine again.
especialy the HW reset action result in a dead end makes me thinking this way.
Could be. Is this the chip?
I do not plan to replace it due to lack of skills... just curious. This says 256MB though but I couldn't find anything saying 32MB (OYY). There is also an identical one 2 inches to the right saying BIOS.
IMG_1755.jpg

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Could be. Is this the chip?
I do not plan to replace it due to lack of skills... just curious. This says 256MB though but I couldn't find anything saying 32MB (OYY). There is also an identical one 2 inches to the right saying BIOS
256mbit = 32MByte

azsrz

Apr 30, 2021
You could attach an UART Adapter to the BMC Debug port and see if it boots up, but only use this as last resort if the seller can't help. I don't think the board is dead, it's most likely the BMC that is corrupted.
The usual troubleshooting steps
- test with board outside a case (to make sure there's no short circuits)
- check memory & CPU installed correctly
- check CPU socket (no bent pins)
- is your router handing out DHCP correctly?
- connect a power switch to front panel PWR and check if fans spin on power
means the BMC is dead now or takes time to init.flash.
Thanks guys for all your help. Finally I contacted Tyan and they said they would try to fix the board for a small charge since the warranty expired this May.

Reactions: hmw and RolloZ170

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Has anyone used a SK Hynix P41 in the M.2 slot on this motherboard? It’s a Gen4 PCIe SSD and I think the earliest hardware revision of the motherboard is Gen3 only for M.2 slots. I don’t see a way to set the M.2 slot as Gen3/Gen4 - just the PCIe slots

adam2eden

Oct 18, 2013
Thanks guys for all your help. Finally I contacted Tyan and they said they would try to fix the board for a small charge since the warranty expired this May.
Some update:
While researching for the UART I found out ch341a and test clip so I thought I'd give it another try before sending it back. I flashed the BMC with the one (v3.0) from Tyan's website using NeoProgrammer. After a few tries the BMC is fixed. Now I got a heart beat and IPMI !! So happy with this experiment.

However, I already have everything installed with H12ssl. Now I have to decide if I want to save some money with Tyan...

slidermike

May 7, 2023
Hello team STH.
Hoping my fellow enthusiasts can assist me where Tyan support seems slow.
I have an epyc milan setup in an asrock. I wanted to get this Tyan 8030 and found one for sale that was a return. Since I can return it to the retail seller I figured at worst I would be out the time and hassle.
Anyway the issue I am dealing with is the BMC password has been changed by the previous owner.
root / superuser does not work. Since the password has been changed, I cannot update it via the bios either.
Tyan support has been slow and vague.

So thats my question to my fellow STH'ers. What is the process to reset the BMC to so I can then access and use the IPMI remote (LAN)?
Looks like Tyan support clocked out for the day before they were willing to give me the process.

I have access to the bios and BMC via the bios/console but thats in a closet and I want it like my asrockrack, on the lan.

Currently the bios is v2.02 & BMC is v3.00
I will move onto wanting to know how to determine if I have the 32mb vs 64mb chip so I know which BMC I can safely run but thats next.
Their page references a spreadsheet which I cannot seem to locate.

Thank you kindly

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
One way is to locate the BMC SPI flash chip as in the photo a few posts above, and look up the part number to see its size. It's a 16SOP footprint (8 pins on each side), next to the 4-pin BMC debug header. There's another SPI flash for the BIOS.

Reactions: slidermike

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Since the password has been changed, I cannot update it via the bios either.
Tyan support has been slow and vague.

So thats my question to my fellow STH'ers. What is the process to reset the BMC to so I can then access and use the IPMI remote (LAN)?
Looks like Tyan support clocked out for the day before they were willing to give me the process.
with local access to the host you should be able to add a new user with admin rights and change the password.
ipmitool

slidermike

May 7, 2023
with local access to the host you should be able to add a new user with admin rights and change the password.
ipmitool
I appreciate the response!

I saw I could add another user/admin locally but how does that help resetting the root account password?

I created a new admin but was not sure if it should be a 1 or 8. Saved and rebooted, tried removed access under the newly created user and it failed.
This is my 1st epyc and 2nd board so I am still learning the server side of life.
Thanks

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I created a new admin but was not sure if it should be a 1 or 8. Saved and rebooted, tried removed access under the newly created user and it failed.
have you enabled the user ?
cmds similar like this.
Enable this user on ID 3
# ipmitool user enable 3

Set privilege for this new user on ID 3
# ipmitool channel setaccess 0 3 [callin=on|off] [ipmi=on|off] [link=on|off] [privilege=level]

slidermike

May 7, 2023
have you enabled the user ?
cmds similar like this.
Enable this user on ID 3
# ipmitool user enable 3

Set privilege for this new user on ID 3
# ipmitool channel setaccess 0 3 [callin=on|off] [ipmi=on|off] [link=on|off] [privilege=level]
Only in the bios.
Newb to ipmi other than the asrock and it was no issue as 1st owner to set root was me.

Do i need to download an ipmitool?
Currently I have proxmox hypervisor and Linus vm running on the servethank you again for the guidance.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Only in the bios.
Newb to ipmi other than the asrock and it was no issue as 1st owner to set root was me.
in the BIOS
user access = enabled
channel 1 (dedicated BMC/LAN) connect over this port not other LAN.
user privilege linit = admin...
Do i need to download an ipmitool?
Currently I have proxmox hypervisor and Linus vm running on the servethank you again for the guidance.
its there for linux as well. get it the usual way.
you have to be on the machine, not remote or VM.
there are millions of guided for ipmitool. you better ask there no here,

slidermike

May 7, 2023
in the BIOS
user access = enabled
channel 1 (dedicated BMC/LAN) connect over this port not other LAN.
user privilege linit = admin...

its there for linux as well. get it the usual way.
you have to be on the machine, not remote or VM.
there are millions of guided for ipmitool. you better ask there no here,
Thank you kindly sir. You have been most helfpul. I will follow your lead and report back.
At work now.