ZFS server - hard/software components

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

GelinosOne

Nov 13, 2017
Hallo again,

I changed some of my components for my personal NAS due to some space problems in my room.
I now have the follow Hardware-list for my FreeNAS device:

RAM: 2x Samsung DIMM 32GB, DDR4-2400, CL17-17-17, reg ECC
Cache-SSD: 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
HDD: 8x Seagate IronWolf NAS HDD 8TB SATA 6Gbs/s
Mainboard: ASROck Rack C236M WS
CPU: Intel Pentium G4560
PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 550W
Case: Streamcom F12C (ST-F12CB)

Now again I have some questions :
  1. Does anybody have some kind of experience with this Case and PSU ?

- It has to stay in our floor so it shouldn’t be very loud.
    - And is there any „restriction“ for a Case ? Like is every Case the same (expect for space) or does this kind of case (made for HTPC) has some disadvantages/advantages ?

p.S.: Before you ask I wanted to use the Node 804, but like I read my HDDs would hang and I also read that this kind of HDD-placement is a bit slower than others (maybe its wrong but it would also be a space problem to place it in the floor so I chose another)

2. Does this config match all the criteria for FreeNAS RAID-Z2 ?

- Like I said my usage for this NAS is only to use it for one user (but different devices, for example PC or Set Top Box) ?
    - Focus of this question is - is the Hardware fast enough for a 50gig stream of a video file ?
    I think it also depends on the Router (I have a FB 3272, IEEE 802.11n with 450Mbit/s) so is all ready for a stream ?

3. How about the power consumption ?

- Does this config uses all the 550W or only as much as needed ?
    - Any idea how much it will cost in a year of 24/7 usage ? I think It won’t be used by any device for about 18 hours a day, but it is still on to check for errors and such.

And last I got a question about FreeNAS / ZFS :

1. Does FreeNAS with ZFS support access on Windows / Mac / iOS / Android ?

I mean can I read and write files via those Systems or do I need to use FreeNAS ?

2. I read that you can Access your NAS via VPN from outside. Is it possible to forbid that ?

Thanks again for your time and I'm sorry to bother you with this.

Jan 4, 2014
Hallo again,

I changed some of my components for my personal NAS due to some space problems in my room.
I now have the follow Hardware-list for my FreeNAS device:

RAM: 2x Samsung DIMM 32GB, DDR4-2400, CL17-17-17, reg ECC
Cache-SSD: 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
HDD: 8x Seagate IronWolf NAS HDD 8TB SATA 6Gbs/s
Mainboard: ASROck Rack C236M WS
CPU: Intel Pentium G4560
PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 550W

- And is there any „restriction“ for a Case ? Like is every Case the same (expect for space) or does this kind of case (made for HTPC) has some disadvantages/advantages ?

p.S.: Before you ask I wanted to use the Node 804, but like I read my HDDs would hang and I also read that this kind of HDD-placement is a bit slower than others (maybe its wrong but it would also be a space problem to place it in the floor so I chose another)

2. Does this config match all the criteria for FreeNAS RAID-Z2 ?

- Like I said my usage for this NAS is only to use it for one user (but different devices, for example PC or Set Top Box) ?
    - Focus of this question is - is the Hardware fast enough for a 50gig stream of a video file ?
    I think it also depends on the Router (I have a FB 3272, IEEE 802.11n with 450Mbit/s) so is all ready for a stream ?

3. How about the power consumption ?

- Does this config uses all the 550W or only as much as needed ?
    - Any idea how much it will cost in a year of 24/7 usage ? I think It won’t be used by any device for about 18 hours a day, but it is still on to check for errors and such.

And last I got a question about FreeNAS / ZFS :

1. Does FreeNAS with ZFS support access on Windows / Mac / iOS / Android ?

I mean can I read and write files via those Systems or do I need to use FreeNAS ?

2. I read that you can Access your NAS via VPN from outside. Is it possible to forbid that ?

Thanks again for your time and I'm sorry to bother you with this.
dont use the evo's for l2arc nor zil.

they'll take the performance of you entire system down.

better off getting some intel cheap on fleabay

send from a mobile device, so typo's are to be expected

Reactions: fractal

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Does anybody have some kind of experience with this Case and PSU ?
I have no experience with this chassis and can't find real pictures.

BeQuiet psus are pretty solid. I had 7 bequiet psus from different series since 2004 and so far only one failed after 8 year.
What do you mean? Transcoding (Plex, Emby)?
Or just serving the file to the clients? (1gbe should be more than enough for 4k uhd videos.)
How about the power consumption ?
Your psu can supply up to 550 watt, but the system will consume only as much as necessary.

GelinosOne

Nov 13, 2017
What do you mean? Transcoding (Plex, Emby)?
Or just serving the file to the clients? (1gbe should be more than enough for 4k uhd videos.)
I am not sure if it needs to be transcoded or just served to the clients.
i have some mkv files which are 50 gig big and I want them to watch with Plex or Kodi.
Do I need to transcode ?
And if yes, will it work ?

BlueLineSwinger

Mar 11, 2013
Why did you start a new thread for a system that is almost identical to your prior thread? And you heeded little of the advice given there by many people (e.g., SSD cache, RAM sizing).

Tacocat

Nov 23, 2015

I've owned the very same case for a brief period and would advice you to steer clear of that case:
  • Drives are hard mounted to the case which means they make a lot of noise
  • It gets cramped in a hurry if you try to fit many drives in there
  • There is no way to properly cool the drives which will reduce their lifespan

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
Are you mirroring the 250 SSD's or linear? If mirror, they are at the limit of reasonable for that much memory. If linear you have way too much L2. Either way the EVO makes a crap L2ARC.