X12SPL-F Failing to boot after Bios

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

John Burns

Jul 12, 2016
Iowa, USA
I have a supermicro Motherboard that i attempted to BIOS flash. Previously the machine booted fine, but since attempting to flash to 1.4b it hasn't booted. The golden image in v1.1. How do I revert it back to the golden image?

John Burns

Jul 12, 2016
Iowa, USA
In the IPMI page it will never reflect the new BIOS version. I haven't yet tried unchecking perserving the configuration.

I did find this handy site for finding older versions of supermicro's BIOS. Supermicro old files

Screenshot 2023-07-04 185933.png

piranha32

Mar 4, 2023
Nuke the old config for flashing. Even if in theory contents of the configuration memory between bios versions may be compatible, in practice new bios can interpret some values differently. If you can access bios settings, load defaults and check if it solves the problem.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
How do I revert it back to the golden image?
have you checked immediate update or on next boot ?

to update to 1.4b all BIOS (golden) are updated to 1.4b at startup,
if you see the blue UnitID LED flashing,
wait for completing this process.

John Burns

Jul 12, 2016
Iowa, USA
I’ve tried both. The blue led blinked while it was doing the update and is now off. I’m starting to wonder if it’s bad hardware. It will run when I press the power button for about 30 seconds. No video comes up on the vga port or remotely via ipm. Time to read the manual if these boards still have speakers for beep codes.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
you have to AC power cycle after update,
I'm confused: you mean the system is running DURING the bios update?
I did this once with a x10 board and it messed up something in the bios or the intel me things making the system unbootable and unflashable.

John Burns

Jul 12, 2016
Iowa, USA
I can't remember if it was booted the first time i tried it. Every time since it's been powered off and accessed via ipmi remotely.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
ES CPU. The IMPI isn't reporting that the flash was successful. No matter what version i try, it won't go beyond 1.0
the new BIOS version is updated on successfull POST.
BIOS 1.4 does not support ES CPU other than stepping D0.
what ES CPU do you have ?

John Burns

Jul 12, 2016
Iowa, USA
Humm no 1.0 version on @BlueFox webpage. Any tricks on how to find it? I'm guessing the date is 01/12/2021 Ver 1.0 from my board. I tried some google hack searching with no luck.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Humm no 1.0 version on @BlueFox webpage. Any tricks on how to find it? I'm guessing the date is 01/12/2021 Ver 1.0 from my board. I tried some google hack searching with no luck.
I scraped everything available on Supermicro's site, so, doesn't look like it's something they ever posted. You might be out of luck unless you can get Supermicro to provide it to you via a support ticket or the likes.

DarkServant

Apr 5, 2022
I dont read the thread correctly, and only saw "boot troubles 1.4b"...
Then i updated an X12SPL-F yesterday with the EFI flash-tool to a new 1.5 revision, and it stuck after the update process on POST... only a "hard" BIOS reset helped.
The IPMI FW is updated too - version 01.01.45

If you use this mainboard in an workstation, the boot process time gives me some old days feeling, time enough for a cup of coffee.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Then i updated an X12SPL-F yesterday with the EFI flash-tool to a new 1.5 revision
note the EFI tool can just upload the BIOS image to the BMC and restart the system to let the BMC do the BIOS flash job (UID blue led flashing)
i recommend update BIOS in the BMC-WebGUI.

DarkServant

Apr 5, 2022
note the EFI tool can just upload the BIOS image to the BMC and restart the system to let the BMC do the BIOS flash job (UID blue led flashing)
i recommend update BIOS in the BMC-WebGUI.
Yeah, i saw that i had to type in the BMC username and password before bios filename... was quite different on older systems. I had still in mind that one requires a license to update BIOS via BMC GUI, but this is no more. But having to short the cmos reset pad (stopped boot process after a long time on "DXE - ready to boot", entering BIOS was not possible)? Whatever, thankfully it works again.

I dont't think the changes include the compatibility for these ES CPU's (a way to get rid of these...).

Thanks for the information.