WTB: Supermicro x10srh-cf motherboard

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jcl333

May 28, 2011
Hello all,

I lost one of these boards due to a failed BIOS update, so I am wondering if anyone has any they are willing to sell.

Thanks

-JCL

Reactions: Samir

jcl333

May 28, 2011
Failed BIOS update? And you can't just reflash it from IPMI?
Yeah, when I apply power, it's two beeps, the lights blink, and the fans briefly spin. And it just keeps doing that in a loop.

iLO is still functional and it says it can set the recovery mode, but then it can't control power to the motherboard at all. So it never even tries to get into recovery mode. Clearing CMOS doesn't do anything either.

Any ideas?

So I am not sure what happened, but it is bricked good. Fortunately I keep a spare around, but now I need a new spare ;-)

-Jeff

OrdinanceB

Apr 3, 2018
Yeah, when I apply power, it's two beeps, the lights blink, and the fans briefly spin. And it just keeps doing that in a loop.

iLO is still functional and it says it can set the recovery mode, but then it can't control power to the motherboard at all. So it never even tries to get into recovery mode. Clearing CMOS doesn't do anything either.

Any ideas?

So I am not sure what happened, but it is bricked good. Fortunately I keep a spare around, but now I need a new spare ;-)

-Jeff
Have you attempted the BIOS Recovery as referenced in the Manual? Either the BIOS Resilience mode via IPMI, or the SUPER.ROM method with or without the Bios Recovery jumper?

Reactions: Samir and Zedicus

jcl333

May 28, 2011
Have you attempted the BIOS Recovery as referenced in the Manual? Either the BIOS Resilience mode via IPMI, or the SUPER.ROM method with or without the Bios Recovery jumper?

Yep, couple of times, and I talked with support and told them what was going on, and they said yeah you probably can't fix that yourself. I think it would have to stop "looping" for that process to have a chance to work, but it won't even POST at all.

Tried to RMA it, but they said it is too old even for a fee, although they did send me a new one earlier this year due to a bad SAS port, so it was worth a try. Too bad these don't have a socketed BIOS chip.

The other board I have flashed perfectly, and I think this may be only the 2nd board I have seen fail a BIOS upgrade in maybe 30 years, so I guess your luck has to run out at some point.

-JCL

jcl333

May 28, 2011
I'd be interested in if you have an extra. I'm US based. What are you wanting for one?
There are several available on e-bay for around $200, might be able to argue them down, you can also find some that come in a chassis as well.

I just thought I would check with the community here before going that route.

-JCL

OrdinanceB

Apr 3, 2018
Yep, couple of times, and I talked with support and told them what was going on, and they said yeah you probably can't fix that yourself. I think it would have to stop "looping" for that process to have a chance to work, but it won't even POST at all.

Tried to RMA it, but they said it is too old even for a fee, although they did send me a new one earlier this year due to a bad SAS port, so it was worth a try. Too bad these don't have a socketed BIOS chip.

The other board I have flashed perfectly, and I think this may be only the 2nd board I have seen fail a BIOS upgrade in maybe 30 years, so I guess your luck has to run out at some point.

-JCL
There is a SUM command switch listed in this thread: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...me-to-recovery-mode-when-updating-bios.14380/ that you may give a shot with. It will try to force it through the IPMI.

jcl333

May 28, 2011
I bet someone here with the correct tools can update the bios and restore this board for you. I'd make a post in this forum and maybe someone can help you out:
Actually, taking a look at what they are doing, it looks like they are essentially updates the BIOS from IPMI using the command line without powering up the machine at all, so in theory that might work. I will give it a try tonight.

Thanks

-JCL

Bert

Mar 31, 2018

-JCL
Did SM send you a replacement board for an out of warranty board because of non-working SAS port?

John Burns

Jul 12, 2016
Iowa, USA
I have one of these x10srh-cf boards as well that I'm getting ready to sell. Currently is has a e5-2697v3 in it and I think have 4 32 GB ram sticks and a noctua cooler for it.

jcl333

May 28, 2011
Whelp, stop your grinning and drop your linen, I fixed it!
I did the command-line process with sum under SuperDoctor 5 to update the BIOS while the machine was off using IPMI, and so help me it worked!!! Another motherboard saved!

After that, the machine posted and I was able to run the recovery and get back on track...
Beautiful sight huh?
PXL_20231221_224759173.MP.jpg

So thanks for the tip, I am glad I didn't give up.

-JCL

jcl333

May 28, 2011
Did SM send you a replacement board for an out of warranty board because of non-working SAS port?
Yes they did, and that was February of this year too! Surprised me.
I just had to pay for shipping.

Maybe they still had stock or something like that, I dunno.

-JCL

jcl333

May 28, 2011
ok, I'm located in EU and shipping costs and I"m concerned of shipping costs.
Well, that is a valid concern. As it so happens, I got my board working again.
How much would you be looking to get for the board?