Which direction to take on a multiseat setup // VMWare vs Linux

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Alca

Jul 24, 2020
I am trying to figure out a way to set up 2 seats on one computer. I know it is possible but I have a really hard time to figure out what is the best way for my use case, what are the benefits or what are the trade-off.

Here is what I would like to do: a 2 dynamic attribution of resources seats set up running on windows 10. Mots of the use case is light : Microsoft word, browsing, r studio with light data, casual video editing on adobe premiere, movies, casual gaming. My idea was to be able to run a multi-seat and when needed to pull all resources on one seat when needed (video editing, gaming, R studio operation with big data).

Here is my computer:

Fractal R6 case, MSI MEG unify x570 motherboard, AMD 3900X cpu, AMD radeon Sapphire nitro+ 5700XT gpu, 2x8 lpx 3600 corsair memory stick, 1000gb Samsung evo SSD, 2 tb ssd.

I have a free slot for another gpu if necessary.

I used to windows 10, that is why I would rather like to keep it but I could consider move to linux, find alternative program or a virtual machine of windows with a passthrough. In any case, it would be great to be able to run both OS, either linux from windows, or windows from linux.

I would like to study how to build this set-up slowly within the next 3 to 6 months but I don't know where to start. Would a solution using VMWare be best? Or would a linux solution be better? I also have seen the aster solution, but somehow I half trust it and it also seems like I would learn more, and discover more possibilities using the linux or VMWare solutions.

Is there a multi-seat solution where it is possible to pull back all resources to one computer if needed with same performances than if it was a one seat normal set up?

Thank you for any advice!

Alca

Jul 24, 2020
After some research, it seems that it would be quite easy to simply use VMWare player, power up a vm and choose a monitor, keyboard and mice there. When the second seat is not needed, it is easy to turn off the VM and the computer is back to normal.
I could use shared folder to pass data from one to another. It looks like performance aren't that fast for shared folder, is it still the case?
I will test it and see if it is a problem.

If anbody has any advice on how to configure the VM efficiently, do not hesitate to participate.

I also wonder if there are any possibility to improve graphic performance on the VM. I will look into that.

Gbalgobin

Oct 15, 2021
Hey, I,m interested in using a setup similar to yours could you share some information or tutorial resources I can use to get started?
Thanks in advance

MBastian

Jul 17, 2016
Düsseldorf, Germany
Pure Windows: Hyper-V with GPU-P could do the trick.
Linux: libvirt/qemu with GPU passthrough. Very versatile but you can't share a single GPU and the learning curve is quite steep.

Edit: You should give Aster a try. It seems rather lightweight and ~60$ for a 2-seat lifetime license is not a bad deal.

Last edited: