Where are the DDR5 ECC UDIMMs?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Styp

Aug 1, 2018
Yes I know, but why is MemoryErrorCorrection indicating 3, which is 'no-ecc presence'.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
How can I fix that in Windows 11? Are there any particular Bios settings?
you see 64/80 bits but 3 for non ECC, there is something wrong.
sometimes this information is not passed to a VM, have you done a clean install and done the Intel inf update properly (to the end, can take 15 minutes, open device-manager and see how the unknown devices vanish)

Styp

Aug 1, 2018
Yes, actually I did. My device manager is not showing any unknown devices.
Reinstall?
---
ah btw. its a vanilla windows, no VM, Hypervisor whatsoever...

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Yes, actually I did. My device manager is not showing any unknown devices.
Reinstall?
---
ah btw. its a vanilla windows, no VM, Hypervisor whatsoever...
hard to say, so many components.
wmic is a 32bit interface which may lack some information.
at BMC systems the SPDs of the DIMMs are usualy connected to BMC not accessible with the OS
(the SPD includes the Temp.sensors which are read from the BMC to control FANs and protect System i.e.)
try other method to indentify if ECC is working or not please.
the IPMI should provide indormation the Error Correction state.

Tom S

Jan 31, 2017
And I just did.

https://www.smartm.com/api/download/fetch/81
  • SRI6G7UD5385MB — 48GB DDR5 4800MHz ECC UDIMM (−40 – 85 °C)
  • SR6G7UD5385MB — 48GB DDR5 4800MHz ECC UDIMM (0 – 70 °C)
Whether this works with consumer boards or not is a big question mark given that AMD’s Zen 4 platform is in a bit of a disarray currently.
Good to see them out there, at least in theory.

96GB across 2 DIMMs would be great for my next build. I'm outgrowing 64GB but I don't want to take the memory bandwidth hit of going to 4 DIMMs.

doppler_shift

Apr 29, 2017
And I just did.

https://www.smartm.com/api/download/fetch/81
  • SRI6G7UD5385MB — 48GB DDR5 4800MHz ECC UDIMM (−40 – 85 °C)
  • SR6G7UD5385MB — 48GB DDR5 4800MHz ECC UDIMM (0 – 70 °C)
Whether this works with consumer boards or not is a big question mark given that AMD’s Zen 4 platform is in a bit of a disarray currently.
The SR6G7UD5385MB one (non-extended temperature) was recently added to the ASrock Rack B650D4U memory QVL though I still can't find them for purchase anywhere online.

ddr5ecc

Feb 5, 2023
I am confused... (as usual).
I built a W680 + Kingston 2x 32Gb ECC workstation and Windows is reporting MemoryErrorCorrection 3.
I use the latest 2305 Bios - what am I doing wrong?

Mainboard is the Asus W680 one.

View attachment 29254
@Styp

Sorry for being a little late.

But can you tell me your CPU?

AFAIK you need a 13900 / 13700 / 13600 / 12900 / 12700 with or without K for ECC.

13700 with ECC in the specs:
Intel® Core™ i7-13700 Processor (30M Cache, up to 5.20 GHz) Product Specifications

13400 no ECC in the specs:
Intel® Core™ i5-13400 Processor (20M Cache, up to 4.60 GHz) Product Specifications

ddr5ecc

Feb 5, 2023
The Asus W680 was really tricky to setup.

I basically read out the subtimings of the X13SAE and set this timings on the Asus W680 BIOS

And afterwards I had memorycorrection 5

It is now a Windows Server 2022 machine and working really fine.

The X13SAE is now my developer machine (both the Asus and the Supermicro with ECC).

Attachments

EditFish

Jun 29, 2023
The Asus W680 was really tricky to setup.

I basically read out the subtimings of the X13SAE and set this timings on the Asus W680 BIOS

And afterwards I had memorycorrection 5

It is now a Windows Server 2022 machine and working really fine.

The X13SAE is now my developer machine (both the Asus and the Supermicro with ECC).
I'm watching this thread - and your success in particular - with a great deal of interest as I'm about to build a new machine using the Asus W680 and am on the fence about whether I should try to get ECC memory to work for me now, or just use regular DIMMs and wait for further development and offerings.

Are you saying the whole tree under "Speicher Timings" in that image are the subtimings you copied from the X13SAE? Those numbers can all be set somewhere within the Asus BIOS? Sorry for being a dunce, I'm an enthusiast but this really isn't my field so I don't fully understand what I'm reading.

ddr5ecc

Feb 5, 2023
You need to have DDR5 ECC and one DDR5 non ECC at hand.

Because if you boot into a bad combination you simply replace the ECC with the non ECC and you are able to boot again.

You can orientate yourself with CL tRCD tRP tRAS because there is a one-to-one mapping between the Asus BIOS and this AIDA screenshot (yes you can set all parameters).

First thing you have to do is flashing the new ASUS-firmware.
You can do it without CPU/Memory/SSD installed with this ASUS EZ Flash Button.

While experimenting with RAM timings boot several times into memtest and play around with memtest.
I think that the ASUS BIOS is too enthusiastic with overclocking ECC RAM and you have to bring it down to earth.

populating one single RAM slot was easier to establish than two RAM slots.

I didn't tested four RAM modules (my config is 64GB an both machines).

Sidenote:
perhaps you are lucky with silicon lottery and everything starts from boot one

EditFish

Jun 29, 2023
You need to have DDR5 ECC and one DDR5 non ECC at hand.

Because if you boot into a bad combination you simply replace the ECC with the non ECC and you are able to boot again.

You can orientate yourself with CL tRCD tRP tRAS because there is a one-to-one mapping between the Asus BIOS and this AIDA screenshot (yes you can set all parameters).

First thing you have to do is flashing the new ASUS-firmware.
You can do it without CPU/Memory/SSD installed with this ASUS EZ Flash Button.

While experimenting with RAM timings boot several times into memtest and play around with memtest.
I think that the ASUS BIOS is too enthusiastic with overclocking ECC RAM and you have to bring it down to earth.

populating one single RAM slot was easier to establish than two RAM slots.

I didn't tested four RAM modules (my config is 64GB an both machines).

Sidenote:
perhaps you are lucky with silicon lottery and everything starts from boot one
Copy that, thanks for the clarification! I'll make sure to have a non-ECC DIMM at the ready...and hope that I win the lottery! Looks like @Styp did not. I'm anxious to see if they get theirs running.

I have no problem putting the brakes on Asus's overclock schemes. As Puget Systems recently tested, frequency boost makes astoundingly little difference for my end use, which is video editing (particularly in Resolve, which is the biggest RAM-hog I'll use).

Am I correct in reading your settings that you have "effective" MHz coming in around 4400, or just below the design spec?

I can certainly get by on 64GB in 2 DIMMs for now. I noticed that @pd4ever managed to get 128GB in 4 DIMMs working but, like @Tom S , I'm not sure if the penalty for using all 4 slots outweighs the benefit. Getting those high-density 48GB sticks in ECC to get 96GB across 2 slots does seem like the best compromise. We'll see if and when those drop.

Jan 3, 2023
Copy that, thanks for the clarification! I'll make sure to have a non-ECC DIMM at the ready...and hope that I win the lottery! Looks like @Styp did not. I'm anxious to see if they get theirs running.

I have no problem putting the brakes on Asus's overclock schemes. As Puget Systems recently tested, frequency boost makes astoundingly little difference for my end use, which is video editing (particularly in Resolve, which is the biggest RAM-hog I'll use).

Am I correct in reading your settings that you have "effective" MHz coming in around 4400, or just below the design spec?

I can certainly get by on 64GB in 2 DIMMs for now. I noticed that @pd4ever managed to get 128GB in 4 DIMMs working but, like @Tom S , I'm not sure if the penalty for using all 4 slots outweighs the benefit. Getting those high-density 48GB sticks in ECC to get 96GB across 2 slots does seem like the best compromise. We'll see if and when those drop.
I have four Micron ECC sticks for 128 GB total working fine in my X13SAE, but I am running them at JEDEC spec speed, which means 3600.

vkfu

Dec 7, 2017
I have four Micron ECC sticks for 128 GB total working fine in my X13SAE, but I am running them at JEDEC spec speed, which means 3600.
The same thing happened to me on my Ryzen 7900X (Asus Prime X670-P Wifi) system. Four DIMMs ran at DDR5-3600 whereas 2 DIMMs ran at DDR5-4800. I didn't try manually adjusting any settings.