Weird boot/reboot issue with Supermicro H12SSLiO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pchangover

Dec 12, 2016
MD
I'm building a new TrueNAS box with the following:
*AMD Epyc 7313P 16C/32T SP3
*Supermicro H12SSLiO motherboard
*256gb 2133 DDR4 RDIMM - Hynix

The issue I'm having is an odd one. The box hates to warm reset. If I try to "save and reset" from BIOS or restart from a live linux drive it hangs on boot. I have to flick the power switch off, wait a few seconds then flick it back on to cold boot and it's fine. The same happens while restarting from the BMC. I'm running without any of my add-in cards to make sure that's not the issue and it's done it with both 128 and 256gb of memory. I've run all the memory through memtest and the cpu through some prime95 and it all seems fine. I don't believe it's a cpu issue and I'm thinking it's a motherboard issue. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Try to reflash the BIOS.
I Had similar Problems with a tr pro system where i reset the system accidentaly during Boot/initializing

pchangover

Dec 12, 2016
MD
Try to reflash the BIOS.
I Had similar Problems with a tr pro system where i reset the system accidentaly during Boot/initializing
Hmm. I’ll try this even though there isn’t a new BIOS version. Worth a shot because it’s driving me insane.

pchangover

Dec 12, 2016
MD
Try to reflash the BIOS.
I thought this had fixed my problems until I started installing Windows and during one of the self-reboots the system hung up and I had to restart it manually. Back into windows now stressing the CPU again to verify it's not an issue but I think I'm going to have to order another H12SSLi. :(

LolSalad

May 28, 2021
I thought this had fixed my problems until I started installing Windows and during one of the self-reboots the system hung up and I had to restart it manually. Back into windows now stressing the CPU again to verify it's not an issue but I think I'm going to have to order another H12SSLi. :(
try reseating the cpu?

pchangover

Dec 12, 2016
MD
try reseating the cpu?
Tried that. I got another H12SSLi and I'm getting similar results so it's either a bad cpu or the mounting pressure on this thing is stupid. I've tried three different torque drivers and nothing seems consistent. I have an ASROCK Rack motherboard and a new 7313P on the way but if I can't get it sorted with that then I'm officially done with Epyc Milan at least.

klove007

Feb 8, 2023
I am experiencing the same issue on H12DSI-N6, very rarely does it like a warm boot. Cold seems to work no problem, through power on/off. Power cycle through BMC is also inconsistent.

@pchangover were you able to find a solution?