sm H12SSL-i - stuck on PCI Enumeration only on warm reboot / restart (cold power up FINE)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
I recently upgraded my daily desktop machine's H11 + 7262 (8c epyc gen2) to a h12SSL-i + 7302 (16c epyc gen2), w 4x ECC DDR4 hynx (is on supermicro QVL for BOTH boards) + a Quadro RTX 4000, and a Quadro p2000. (only disk of any kind attached is the boot drive, a p4800x 375gb optane U.2 nvme, connected via the SlimSAS x8 port (on the MB).

My issue is during post, it kept getting hung on DXE - PCI Bus Enumeration... 92 - at which point its locked up (keyboard caps lock/numlock frozen, ect). I then have to power cycle it, AND IT WILL BOOT fine after that! (it took some time to figure this out, but even in windows 11, or ubnutu LiveCD , if you choose restart, the bios will then hang on PCI Bus Enumeration. but if you choose Shutdown, then when system is off, press power button, it will boot up fine.

I have tried:
updating SM bios from 2.1, to current 2.4 (same)​
removing all PCIe cards, except rtx 4000 (or trying just the p2000) (same)​
CMOS resets, short-jumper, load defaults (same)​
BIOS setting VGA priority -> ONboard or Offboard (same)​
onboard jumper (disable VGA , 1-2 , 2-3) (same)​
(when it hangs, i have then tried checking the vKVM and it will show the exact same stuck on "DXE - PCI Bus Enumeration... 92 -" message as well)​
keep in mind please, the GPUs and the ram and boot drive, were moved directly over from my H11SSL, so im reasonably confident they are not the issue (ie are good).

I have seen this mentioned with this same board in these threads (but with no clear resolution, and the threads got a bit de-railed so im making this new thread):
>" so, while it works, then all is fine, except these errors on boot. most of time bios stuck is after a reboot.​
> when you cold boot a system, then it always boots just fine. "​
anyone have any solution or know of any resolution to this?

tks

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
The quadros if, I remember correctly, have only display ports.
Is a monitor attached to at least one display port?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
anyone have any solution or know of any resolution to this?
just some ideas. whats the difference on cold/warm boot.
cold boot: microcode is loaded/refreshed
DDR4 training
warm boot: microcode is still there, must not loaded.
DDR4 training is skipped
some PCIe training/detections are not made too on warm boots.
update:
wrong driver could set GPU to undefined mode which can not be left by warm reboot.
( remember NVMe ssd not present after wrong init. by driver on reboot )

Last edited:
Reactions: james23

jdnz

Apr 29, 2021
have you tried removing BOTH video cards and running with JUST the onboard VGA? Most lilkely culprit is a system BIOS/video card BIOS interaction

james23

Nov 18, 2014
Thanks for all the replies! (edit: i have also opened a support case at supermicro,will update here)

some answers:

The quadros if, I remember correctly, have only display ports.
Is a monitor attached to at least one display port?
You are correct on ALL DP ports on quadro GPUs, the only exception being my quadro RTX 4000 , which has 3x DP and 1x USB-C (the card comes with a USB-C to DP adaptor, which i am using with success).
and YES all DP ports are connected to real monitors. (i actually have a massive display setup, consisting of 8x monitors, all DP - 5x are 4k , 3x are 2560p). Nothing is plugged into the onboard VGA port (ofcourse)

just some ideas. whats the difference on cold/warm boot.
cold boot: microcode is loaded/refreshed
DDR4 training
warm boot: microcode is still there, must not loaded.
DDR4 training is skipped
some PCIe training/detections are no made too on warm boots.
Great info, i was not aware of this. Thank you!
In terms of the DDR4 ECC in use: this is the exact memory that was in my H11 system with a epyc 7262 cpu (that setup ran perfectly for ~1.5 years).
I also did run about 6hr of memtest86 (v10.2), 0 errors on this H12SSL + epyc 7302p setup.
The exact memory is on BOTH supermicro QVLs for my prior H11SSL-NC board, and this H12SSL-i board.

have you tried removing BOTH video cards and running with JUST the onboard VGA? Most likely culprit is a system BIOS/video card BIOS interaction
I agree with this, although i have not tested with 0 GPUs (as i just assumed there would be no problem, if i had no GPU / no pcie cards attached, however i will test this and reply back).
Or is anyone else running a H12 board + Nvidia GPUs and can comment on if this effects them?

I do have the bios set to UEFI, (so all the pcie slots are set to EFI in the bios as well), would changing them to legacy or disabled change anything?

ie this setting is what im
referring to:
1675790359423.png

Last edited:

MasterControl

Jan 15, 2023
james23,

Are you running DDR4 1.2v 3200 ECC?

H12SSL-i doesn't officially support anything lower than that.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
james23,

Are you running DDR4 1.2v 3200 ECC?

H12SSL-i doesn't officially support anything lower than that.
thanks MasterControl, yes the exact ram im using is on the SM QVL for this board (and acutally my prior H11ssl-NC too!) . (and i also double checked it just now - it is D4 3200 1.2v ECC -exact model: 4x 32gb sticks of: - HYNIX HMAA4GR7AJR8N-32GB 2RX8 PC4-3200AA-R DDR4 RDIMM-3200MHZ)
as an update- im working through some steps with supermicro support over the past 24h (and forward), when that is done i will post the full transcript (and result) here.

in the mean time please keep replying with any suggestions or confirmations if others are experiencing this same issue please,
thanks

turbo944s2

Dec 2, 2022
thanks MasterControl, yes the exact ram im using is on the SM QVL for this board (and acutally my prior H11ssl-NC too!) . (and i also double checked it just now - it is D4 3200 1.2v ECC -exact model: 4x 32gb sticks of: - HYNIX HMAA4GR7AJR8N-32GB 2RX8 PC4-3200AA-R DDR4 RDIMM-3200MHZ)
as an update- im working through some steps with supermicro support over the past 24h (and forward), when that is done i will post the full transcript (and result) here.

in the mean time please keep replying with any suggestions or confirmations if others are experiencing this same issue please,
thanks
James I am having the same issue on my H12DSi-N6. Are you plotting chia by any chance? LOL

turbo944s2

Dec 2, 2022
James. I got it to boot and reboot.

1. Installed GPU in Slot 6
2. Disabled the onboard video with a jumper.
Disabled the following settings.
SR-IOV
BME DMA MITIGATION
PCIE ARI SUPPORT
PCIE TEN BIT TAG SUPPORT
PCIE SPREAD SPECTRUM
RELAXED ORDERING
NO SNOOP
VGA PRIORITY SET TO OFF BOARD
ON-BOARD VIDEO OPTION ROM DISABLED.

Im a high pressure boiler operator not a computer expert, keep that in mind. I have been working with computers for 35 years though lol. Good lukc

klove007

Feb 8, 2023
James. I got it to boot and reboot.

1. Installed GPU in Slot 6
2. Disabled the onboard video with a jumper.
Disabled the following settings.
SR-IOV
BME DMA MITIGATION
PCIE ARI SUPPORT
PCIE TEN BIT TAG SUPPORT
PCIE SPREAD SPECTRUM
RELAXED ORDERING
NO SNOOP
VGA PRIORITY SET TO OFF BOARD
ON-BOARD VIDEO OPTION ROM DISABLED.

Im a high pressure boiler operator not a computer expert, keep that in mind. I have been working with computers for 35 years though lol. Good lukc
I'm having similar issues on reboot, but just a blank screen with no posting or bios errors. I am using onboard video at this time, Ill try these steps and try post back.

Any update from the OP from SM support?

markonen

Mar 3, 2021
Had this exact issue with the same hardware (H12SSL-i and a 7302P), reseating all the RAM and moving a Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx from one slot to another fixed it for me. Not sure which action did the trick, but signs point to a random bad connection.