(US) 90 dollar Wyse 5070 Thin client/mini-server?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
Thanks. I'd hoped my quad-port would just work, but it had the same problem. I did the tape trick (what year is this?) and it's working. I'm running OpenSense on it and it gets to line speed over my fiber ethernet link, which my t620 plus couldn't do.
I wonder if all of them have the 2-port i350

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Need so help guys. This little box is retarded. :(

I got PfSense installed but it will not boot. The Boot Sequence section in the BIOS makes no sense at all. I tried to add the drive to the boot sequence but it said "No File Found". The box does recognize the drive as did the PfSense installer. So why won't it boot from it?

TIA

FlorianZ

Dec 10, 2019
I got PfSense installed but it will not boot.
Just shooting in the dark here, but that does sound a little bit like a UEFI / CSM / legacy boot / secure boot issue. Do you see any of those options in the BIOS and can you play around with them?

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Just shooting in the dark here, but that does sound a little bit like a UEFI / CSM / legacy boot / secure boot issue. Do you see any of those options in the BIOS and can you play around with them?
I'll look again but I didn't see any setting for boot type, Only some cryptic UEFI security setting that said if enabled the system will ask for a PW at boot time. Don't want that so I left it disabled.

I did install Linux and had no trouble so the issue seems to be with FreeBSD.

EDIT: And I also installed Windows so I could update the BIOS.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015

mattalat

Dec 28, 2022
Need so help guys. This little box is retarded. :(

I got PfSense installed but it will not boot. The Boot Sequence section in the BIOS makes no sense at all. I tried to add the drive to the boot sequence but it said "No File Found". The box does recognize the drive as did the PfSense installer. So why won't it boot from it?

TIA
You shouldn't need to "add" it to the boot sequence, it should just show up there. What type of drive are we talking about here? USB stick? SSD?

Reactions: Samir and Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
You shouldn't need to "add" it to the boot sequence, it should just show up there. What type of drive are we talking about here? USB stick? SSD?
It's a M.2 SATA drive. Been playing with it and you're right, a boot device does show up automatically.

I should have mentioned that I received an error message at the beginning of the install. I don't remember exactly what it said but it appeared to hang at that point. I hit Control Alt Delete and the install continued and said it finished successfully but it seemed to finish awfully fast so after thinking about it I decided it didn't finish successfully. Tomorrow I'm going to try again and I'll report back with the exact error message.

Just to verify that all is well with the dual port Supermicro Intel i350 server NIC I installed before I attempted to load PfSense I put the old Linux drive back in and the NIC is working just fine so I don't think it's part of the problem.

To be continued.............

mattalat

Dec 28, 2022
It's a M.2 SATA drive. Been playing with it and you're right, a boot device does show up automatically.

I should have mentioned that I received an error message at the beginning of the install. I don't remember exactly what it said but it appeared to hang at that point. I hit Control Alt Delete and the install continued and said it finished successfully but it seemed to finish awfully fast so after thinking about it I decided it didn't finish successfully. Tomorrow I'm going to try again and I'll report back with the exact error message.

Just to verify that all is well with the dual port Supermicro Intel i350 server NIC I installed before I attempted to load PfSense I put the old Linux drive back in and the NIC is working just fine so I don't think it's part of the problem.

To be continued.............
Yeah sounds like maybe an install problem. Only other suggestion I had was instead of trying the boot sequence, can hit F12 during startup to access boot menu and directly select the disk from there and see if that works. If it doesn't it sounds like a drive / install issue.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Tried a m.2 nvme to pcie adapter(I forgot the exact brand. It should be a generic one and looks like this: link) on the Wyse 5070 extended.

Both m.2 nvme (on adapter) and m.2 sata(on m.2 sata slot) are Micron brand.
The random write speed in a VM is around 30Mbytes/s and IOPS 7k - 8k, and on Proxmox host is 52Mbytes/s and IOPS 13.3 k.

They are much lower than the T740 with the same SSDs above (random write 95Mbytes/s, IOPS 24k).
Eeeh, doesn’t the t640/740 have native NVMe support? Also, pretty sure that Gemini Lake only uses PCIe 2.0 while the Ryzen embedded has PCIe 3.0, which would definitely eat further into your throughput.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Eeeh, doesn’t the t640/740 have native NVMe support? Also, pretty sure that Gemini Lake only uses PCIe 2.0 while the Ryzen embedded has PCIe 3.0, which would definitely eat further into your throughput.
It's a Dell 5070. M.2 is SATA only. Wish it was NVMe. I also have a Moderro that boots from NVMe and it boots lightening fast.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
OK, bottom line is this. No matter what, this box will not see PfSense as bootable. It will boot from and install from a USB drive but it will not boot from a CD or DVD. Once installed from a USB drive it will not see the drive as bootable.

I'm loading opnsense now to see if I have better luck with it. :(

The BIOS sucks. :(

UDATE: opnsense installed and booted without a problem.

I'd really rather use PfSense. :(

Last edited:

mattalat

Dec 28, 2022
If anyone is interested, I successfully used this M.2 A Key + E Key to SATA adapter in the M.2 wifi/SFP/RJ45 slot to mount an external SATA hard drive in an enclosure. Enclosure was needed to power the drive. Needed to get a left-angle SATA cable to get the case to close. Worked right away with no tinkering - although I've read that wifi needs to be enabled in bios (mine was enabled by default).

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
The M.2 SATA drive arrived today and pfSense installed and booted without a problem. Don't know why it wouldn't boot with the Micron drive but I'll ponder that another day.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
The M.2 SATA drive arrived today and pfSense installed and booted without a problem. Don't know why it wouldn't boot with the Micron drive but I'll ponder that another day.
I wonder if there's certain SSD controller chips that just don't work well with FreeBSD? As I mentioned in another thread, I had the same pfSense failure to boot issue with a Transcend drive in other hardware. Swapping out to a (pretty low end) Adata drive worked fine.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I wonder if there's certain SSD controller chips that just don't work well with FreeBSD? As I mentioned in another thread, I had the same pfSense failure to boot issue with a Transcend drive in other hardware. Swapping out to a (pretty low end) Adata drive worked fine.
Yea, appears like that to me too. After loading Windows, Linux and OPNsense without issues I figured the problem had to be with FreeBSD. I bought the replacement drive, a Kingston 128GB on eBay. It's supposed to be an open box with zero hours. I didn't teat it, didn't want to jinx myself. Hopefully it'll last a long time. The 5070 is on top of my rack where it's kind warm so I bolted a squirrel cage fan to a thin piece of wood and laid the 5070 next to it with the fan blowing into the top. It's running cool as a cucumber.

M_server

Nov 10, 2019
Anyone know what the proper AC adapter is for the 5070 extended? I got a few of these for free that were being thrown out but have no drive or adapter. Specs on Dell list a 130W for the extended (but I have to assume a 90W should be more than enough too) but don't list any sort of details or part number.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Anyone know what the proper AC adapter is for the 5070 extended? I got a few of these for free that were being thrown out but have no drive or adapter. Specs on Dell list a 130W for the extended (but I have to assume a 90W should be more than enough too) but don't list any sort of details or part number.
I ordered the OEM 130w adapter from eBay.