(US) 90 dollar Wyse 5070 Thin client/mini-server?

Jorge Perez

Dec 8, 2019
No - PCIe allocates dedicated bandwidth based on directional lanes.
For PCIe 2.0 it’s 500MBytes/sec per lane, per direction. For full duplex single port 10GbE you need 2 PCIe lanes up, 2 PCIe lanes down (x4). If you need dual port 10GbE it’s either PCIe 2.0x8 or PCIe 3.0x4 (985Mbyte/sec x4). In other words, install a SFN5122F into the 5070 big and it’ll work more like a 5GBps dualport.
Kinda an old comment, but no.
PCI-E is Full Duplex, a 1x lane has two data transfer pairs four data lines total.
2.0 x 1x will give you 500MB/s in both directions at the same time.

jbrukardt

Feb 4, 2016
Kinda an old comment, but no.
PCI-E is Full Duplex, a 1x lane has two data transfer pairs four data lines total.
2.0 x 1x will give you 500MB/s in both directions at the same time.
thats exactly what he said :) " 500MBytes/sec per lane, per direction "

FOSSRouterNoob

Apr 8, 2021
Does anyone know if it's possible to install something like OPNSense on the EMMC and then install an m.2 NIC like one these:
EGPL-G201 | M.2 to Dual GbE LAN Module | M.2 LAN Card | Communication | Embedded Peripheral | Solutions – Innodisk (Thinking about the 2 port one. The specs list that a 2280 m.2 card should fit in the wyse)

https://www.amazon.com/Ableconn-M2-...1cfc5&pd_rd_wg=D33fW&pd_rd_i=B077BQXVT4&psc=1 (This one is realtek, but it's A and E key and should fit in the wifi nic slot?)

I'd opt for the extended Wyse desktop, but it seems that the extended ones are harder to come by and more expensive. Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

ru me

Jun 2, 2018
Ha, before I would buy a $100 plus card for a measly 5070 there are other options to consider. Anything recent with a pcie slot should work equally well for a fraction of the total. Also, if your heart is set on a thin client, for about $30 shipped you could buy a t630 and add a second optical Nic for about $20 or any other nvme Nic for that matter. If you really want a 5070 extended they do pop up on eBay for $150 or thereabouts.

cageek

Jun 22, 2018
Does anyone know if it's possible to install something like OPNSense on the EMMC and then install an m.2 NIC like one these:
EGPL-G201 | M.2 to Dual GbE LAN Module | M.2 LAN Card | Communication | Embedded Peripheral | Solutions – Innodisk (Thinking about the 2 port one. The specs list that a 2280 m.2 card should fit in the wyse)

https://www.amazon.com/Ableconn-M2-...1cfc5&pd_rd_wg=D33fW&pd_rd_i=B077BQXVT4&psc=1 (This one is realtek, but it's A and E key and should fit in the wifi nic slot?)
I've been running PFSense with the Commell M2-210 (single Intel A/E Key M.2 2230 nic), and the onboard Realtek NIC . I've had absolutely zero problems. I made a 3-D printed adapter for the NIC:
https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...070-thin-client-mini-server.29242/post-281296

I use the 16GB EMMC no problem. There's an option in PFSense to put logs in RAM and flush to disk periodically so I use that. I recall that IDS (e.g. suricata?) requires more disk space (like 250GB), so I you can't use that.

The Ablecon definitely won't work (too long- not 2230).

I haven't tried to use an M.2 NIC in the M/B key format slot. Also dual NIC might be a little tight across the rear - there really is very little extra space - but it depends on how pretty you want it to look.

There is now another pre-built 2230 M.2 A/E single NIC available from alibaba.com, but I haven't tried that.

FOSSRouterNoob

Apr 8, 2021
Ha, before I would buy a $100 plus card for a measly 5070 there are other options to consider. Anything recent with a pcie slot should work equally well for a fraction of the total. Also, if your heart is set on a thin client, for about $30 shipped you could buy a t630 and add a second optical Nic for about $20 or any other nvme Nic for that matter. If you really want a 5070 extended they do pop up on eBay for $150 or thereabouts.
Will the t630 be able to handle gigabit internet + a few wireguard connections? I forgot to mention that I would like to be able to handle that kind of load on the opnsense box if possible.

I've been running PFSense with the Commell M2-210 (single Intel A/E Key M.2 2230 nic), and the onboard Realtek NIC . I've had absolutely zero problems. I made a 3-D printed adapter for the NIC:
https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...070-thin-client-mini-server.29242/post-281296

I use the 16GB EMMC no problem. There's an option in PFSense to put logs in RAM and flush to disk periodically so I use that. I recall that IDS (e.g. suricata?) requires more disk space (like 250GB), so I you can't use that.

The Ablecon definitely won't work (too long- not 2230).

I haven't tried to use an M.2 NIC in the M/B key format slot. Also dual NIC might be a little tight across the rear - there really is very little extra space - but it depends on how pretty you want it to look.

There is now another pre-built 2230 M.2 A/E single NIC available from alibaba.com, but I haven't tried that.
Where were you able to source the commell nic? Also, do you have a link to the pre-build 2230 m.2 a.e single nic from alibaba?

The single NIC innodisk would be cheaper, but I wasn't sure how stable/performant the realtek NIC's were. How is your PFSense box running using the onboard realtek NIC and the intel addon NIC?

cageek

Jun 22, 2018
Where were you able to source the commell nic? Also, do you have a link to the pre-build 2230 m.2 a.e single nic from alibaba?
I bought it thru one of Commell's American distributors Global American Inc.:
Commell M2-210 M.2(NGFF) Gigabit Ethernet Card - Global American

Alibaba NIC
There was discussion of the Alibaba NIC & variants for other computers on the STH tinymicrominy thread:
https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...-corporate-desktops.29075/page-10#post-290937

There is also this NIC from IOCREST...
M.2(A+E Key) to 10 /100/1000M Ethernet Card,IO-M2F8111H-GLAN
But I could not get it to work. The card never appeared in the BIOS or OS. But I bought it quite soon after product introduction and I only tried one - so the problem might a one-off or solved. Although, even if it had worked, the height of the connectors interfere with the closing of the case, so the connectors on the daughterboard would have to be changed (right-angle instead of vertical). From the pictures, you can see the Commell and Alibaba ones use much smaller pitch connectors.

The single NIC innodisk would be cheaper, but I wasn't sure how stable/performant the realtek NIC's were. How is your PFSense box running using the onboard realtek NIC and the intel addon NIC?
It's running great for me - perfectly stable. Either I'm not using it at high-enough capacity to trigger the problem or the problem no longer exists. My vague understanding of the problem is that the Realtek NIC/FreeBSD driver could get into a kind of buffer overrun/retry problem where it degrades throughput, but I've never seen that. The "fix" (mentioned in the PFSense forums) is to put in a newer OEM? driver, but I did not need to do that - I'm running stock PFSense (which is probably older than OPNSense).