Tyan S8030GM2NE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
looks like that might do the trick. Now the trick is how to actually purchase from them :)
I've heard sites like SuperBuy and WeGoBuy do quite a bit of the heavy lifting for ordering from TaoBao. If you're interested in doing a group order to minimize shipping cost - I am sure Tyan users on the forum would want a couple of cables :) count me in if that's the case ...

Nyakov

Aug 15, 2020
I have bought a similar cable with SATA power from taobao.com, with a price about $30 (with shipping fee, I'm in China), and it works well for me.
Hi, I am thinking of buying Tyan motherboard from taobao but language(and other) barrier prevents me from making any sense from what I see there.
I see some red writings on lots, and I see even some with audio jacks on the back O_O ?
Is there some China variation of board with audio controller?

Anyway, can you please point me to right reputable lot with original working board (10G and 1G versions) (with latest revision?)?

diogin

Mar 28, 2018
Beijing, China
Hi, I am thinking of buying Tyan motherboard from taobao but language(and other) barrier prevents me from making any sense from what I see there.
I see some red writings on lots, and I see even some with audio jacks on the back O_O ?
Is there some China variation of board with audio controller?

Anyway, can you please point me to right reputable lot with original working board (10G and 1G versions) (with latest revision?)?
There should be no Chinese variations of Tyan boards. At least I never saw that.
If you'd like to use Tyan boards as workstation boards, you may need to buy a USB sound adapter so that your workstation can "speak" :)

Since I don't know how (and whether) shops in taobao.com ship their goods worldwide, I can't figure which shop is good for you to buy.
I can only provide some links which I believe is "reputable" from a native Chinese's perspective:

These two links look good and they might belong to a same boss. But I don't know what board revision they are, I suggest you avoid revison 1.00. Have a chat with their customer support, they should be able to speak English.

Nyakov

Aug 15, 2020
I can only provide some links which I believe is "reputable" from a native Chinese's perspective
Yes, this is exactly what I wanted, I have local service that act as middleman for this.

These two links look good and they might belong to a same boss. But I don't know what board revision they are, I suggest you avoid revison 1.00. Have a chat with their customer support, they should be able to speak Englis
Thank you very much!

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Enabling Remote BIOS

Remember the BIOS page the Tyan IPMI interface has?

mobo_bios_redfish.png

Does your BIOS look like this even after using the default credentials Administrator/superuser ?

blank_bios.jpg

Don't worry - it's because the Redfish API the BIOS page depends on getting the default password changed (probably because of CA law SB-327 and that's probably why Dell can show remote BIOS screens). All you need is curl / Python / Postman or anything that can send and receive web requests to the Redfish API

Step 1: We need to get the etag value from the server Redfish API (we will use it in the request header later)
Code:
curl -k \
     --request GET 'https://192.168.0.10/redfish/v1/'
Gives us
Code:
{
  "@odata.context":"/redfish/v1/$metadata#ServiceRoot.ServiceRoot",
  "@odata.etag":"W/\"<some_number>\"",
  "@odata.id":"/redfish/v1/",
  "@odata.type":"#ServiceRoot.v1_4_0.ServiceRoot
}
Step 2: In the result above, note down the value for the etag W/"<some_number>" without the <> of course. Now remember the default Administrator:superuser username and password? We will pass it to the Redfish API and see what the problem is.
Code:
curl -k -u 'Administrator:superuser' \
        --request GET 'https://192.168.0.10/redfish/v1/AccountService/Accounts/1' \
        --header 'If-Match: W/"<some_number>"'
Gives us
Code:
{
    "error":
    {
        "@Message.ExtendedInfo":
        [
            {
                "@odata.type": "#Message.v1_0_5.Message",
                "Message": "The password provided for this account must be changed before access is granted.  PATCH the 'Password' property for this account located at the target URI '/redfish/v1/AccountService/Accounts/1' to complete this process.",
                "MessageArgs":
                [
                    "/redfish/v1/AccountService/Accounts/1"
                ],
                "MessageId": "Base.1.0.0.PasswordChangeRequired",
                "RelatedProperties":
                [],
                "Resolution": "Change the password for this account using a PATCH to the 'Password' property at the URI provided.",
                "Severity": "Critical"
            }
        ],
        "code": "Base.1.0.0.PasswordChangeRequired",
        "message": "The password provided for this account must be changed before access is granted.  PATCH the 'Password' property for this account located at the target URI '/redfish/v1/AccountService/Accounts/1' to complete this process."
    }
}
Step 3: So now let's use curl to change the default Redfish account username and password to <new_user> and <new_passwd> (Substitute accordingly)
Code:
curl -k -u 'Administrator:superuser' \
        --request PATCH 'https://192.168.0.10/redfish/v1/AccountService/Accounts/1' \
        --header 'If-Match: W/"<some_number>"' \
        --header 'Content-Type: application/json' \
        --data-raw '{"UserName":"<new_user>", "Password":"<new_passwd>" }'
This should give a HTTP 204 (no content) - but I actually got an error message, the command still worked though. Now when you use the BIOS link to login and use your new username and password, you should be able to see the BIOS settings and even change them

actual_bios.jpg

Hope this helps ...

SINN78

Apr 3, 2016
Tyan support seems to suck you would think with all the security vulnerabilities that they would release updates

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Tyan support seems to suck you would think with all the security vulnerabilities that they would release updates
After purchasing the H12SSL-NT and looking at how much I would pay for virtual media access + redfish api access - I would have to say that Tyan sucks less than SuperMicro. My next EPYC motherboard is definitely going to be a Tyan

Jordan Perdue

Jul 15, 2018
Agreed. I just got my X12STH-F up and running and seeing as those features will cost me about $150usd I am missing the Tyan even more now. Shameful.

Reactions: hmw

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
$150? What else is required to get those features on the Supermicro X12/H12 boards? I thought the IPMI license that unlocked everything was like $30 or $50?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I thought the IPMI license that unlocked everything was like $30 or $50?
Supermicro SFT-DCMS-Single is required for the Supermicro DataCenter Management Suite

On X12/H12 no licence required for Virtual Media & BIOS/BMC FW update.

as far as iknow for redfish api access is only a SFT-OOB-LIC $25 required.

see here, but i don't know if this is valid for X12/H12

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
On X12/H12 no licence required for Virtual Media & BIOS/BMC FW update.
With the SFT-OOB-LIC:
  • Virtual Media Server (ISO) mounting is only SMBv1 - useless on modern networks

• The Virtual Media mounting feature on HTML5 iKVM is not available unless you pay for the more expensive SFT-DCMS-Single license

• The Virtual Media mounting for the Java iKVM does NOT work properly on x86_64 - I have tried with Java 1.8, 11, 15 and failed. And it doesn't even initialize on aarch64/arm64 i.e. the Java libs have architecture dependencies which means if you have a modern Mac M1 or you are using a Raspberry Pi as a jump host - you are SOL

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Agreed. I just got my X12STH-F up and running and seeing as those features will cost me about $150usd I am missing the Tyan even more now. Shameful.
I got the H12SSL-NT from NewEgg - it was an open box on offer for $400.

Since everyone was raving about SuperMicro H12 and X12, decided to go for it. I have to say the BIOS is slower than the Tyan and the SuperMicro UI looks like it's 1997 :rolleyes:

I prefer the simpler Tyan UI - not to mention that Tyan offers remote BIOS for free

bryan_v

Nov 5, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
www.linkedin.com
Two quick questions for Tyan S8030GM2NE owners:
  • Which PCIe slots support bifurcation down to x4/x4/x4/x4?
    I found one post saying that some slots don't support bifurcation, but didn't detail which ones
  • How much should a Tyan S8030GM2NE cost / are there any places, other than ebay and r/homelabsales, I should look at?

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
Has anyone tested this board on Windows 10 with a 3080+ RTX by chance? I've been thinking of building a workstation around this mb.