Tyan S8030GM2NE

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
I raised a support ticket with Tyan about the BIOS v3.01 issue and they said 'We do not support ESXi 7.0 unfortunately'

:eek:

Well I guess that's that ...

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
Wow, that’s a bizarre answer! Good luck Tyan, didn’t realize they were Windows and Linux exclusive.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Wow, that’s a bizarre answer! Good luck Tyan, didn’t realize they were Windows and Linux exclusive.
I checked the ESXi hardware compatibility - here's the S80XX series for Tyan

I think my next purchase is going to be a SuperMicro

:eek: Supermicro doesn't have a single motherboard in the compatibility matrix.

Last edited:

whbeers

Jul 11, 2020
I also have a support request in with tyan, I'll report back how it goes. I'm expecting a better answer than the equivalent "We do not support uefi boot phases beyond psp post unfortunately" :)

I went ahead and grabbed an asrock romed8-2t board to replace one of them. Not willing to wait for broken bios updates to address the issues I have with it (mainly the "all or nothing" fan control given that one of these machines sits in a small rack behind me in my home office), and the other tyan board can go in a closet rack.

[re esxi support: I moved to proxmox for homelab stuff and haven't looked back at esxi, given the picky hardware support and generally footgun tendencies of vmware/vsan when you only have a few nodes]

Reactions: hmw

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
I am running esxi 7 on the same board without issue (although I did not update the bios!) This includes using multiple pcie 4.0 x16 nics which was the main purpose for getting one of these boards. I used several different cpu coolers and do not have any noise issues even when stress testing with proprietary sw. I also have a couple of asrock rack mb and supermicro all with pcie 4.0 support. I like the tyan the best so far although the supermicro is a unique ff (smaller than atx and uatx but slightly longer than a mini itx) that I am using in a custom case.