Topton 'NAS' motherboard.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

OKyHb

May 11, 2023
Could I ask you to share it again, the link expired, thanks.
OK, a link to google drive - CW-NAS-N5105-23.4.28.iso (ISO file I got from seller).

A few notes:
  • it has a typo in start script - so if you boot from this ISO, you need to execute flash manually. But if you just need a *.bin file - it's fine, just extract it.
  • I don't know if it makes any difference, but my motherboard is black

wz2000

Jun 18, 2023
Has anyone here managed to control a fan connected to the three pin chassis fan connector (CHAFAN1) on the motherboard? There's no option in the bios and I cannot detect fans via lm-sensors, so I'm guessing it's not possible.

Pythagoras666

Mar 14, 2023
The second pin header (CHAFAN1) has no temperature control. To quote the guys selling the motherboard: "Can control CPU fan SYS fan can't"

Reactions: wz2000

ormsher

Jun 25, 2023
What's the difference between the green and black PCB motherboards? They seem to be priced differently too. The black one is around 220€ and the green one is around 150-160€.

Pythagoras666

Mar 14, 2023
Iirc the black one has two versions - with N6005 and N5105, while the green one is only N5105. Also, the green one doesn't have custom fan rpm configuration - it's temperature dependent but can't be configured. The black one uses i226-V and the green one - I225-V. Other than that, I'm not sure about other differences - probably some other bios extras and/or higher/lower quality components?

awenger

Jul 4, 2023
OK, a link to google drive - CW-NAS-N5105-23.4.28.iso (ISO file I got from seller).

A few notes:
  • it has a typo in start script - so if you boot from this ISO, you need to execute flash manually. But if you just need a *.bin file - it's fine, just extract it.
  • I don't know if it makes any difference, but my motherboard is black
Which microcode version is in there? Proxmox VM's are crashing a lot on older microcode than 24000024. See this topic: VM freezes irregularly | Page 34 | Proxmox Support Forum

awenger

Jul 4, 2023
Let me answer my own question. The ISO contains 2 BIOS files. The file "CW5NST10-1-CpuMicorcode.bin" contains the newer microcode:
Scherm­afbeelding 2023-07-05 om 04.27.21.png

Pythagoras666

Mar 14, 2023
One more update regarding THIS motherboard. I have tested it with 2x16GB Apacer DDR4 2666 - ES.16G2V.GNH. The board is working properly with it and all 32GB are available to the OS.

TobiasT

May 13, 2023
I am still stuck with the WOL problem under Windows 10 with the Intel i226V. The machine goes into hibernate mode S3 and shuts down (power off), but immediatly reboots when WOL is selected in the latest Intel driver.

Any clues?

noc_scream24

Jul 22, 2023
Hello! I just got this board, and I wanted to check out the CPU fan. The fan is 50mm in size and can easily fit 55mm diameter fans. It's pretty quiet (I tested it with a USB fan cable), and if you remove the casing, air flows in all directions and reaches the second m.2 slot too. Does anyone know if there are any fans available in 55mm sizes or if there are any modification options? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

ghiglie

May 31, 2023
I was looking for a fan replacement. Here in Italy, with these high temps, the CPU runs still at acceptable temperature (40°C at normal operation) but I had to add a pair of heatsink to SSDs.

This mobo is good choice for unRAID; it would benefit more if it had a x2 link for a single NVMe (cache) a properly working fan headers, loosing a pair of ethernets.

Reactions: noc_scream24

noc_scream24

Jul 22, 2023
@noc_scream24 , could you take some measures of the heatsink, like the holes distance?
Here you go. 60mm Noctua fan, fits perfectly, will have to use some doublesided tape or some screws between those fins.

Attachments

vvkvvk

Feb 1, 2023
Do you have the dimensions of the stock heatsink? I'd need them for CAD (cardboard assisted design) template so I could fabricobble together taller heatsink.

E: right above in the posts the black thing is actually a caliper that shows what I need :D:oops:

Reactions: noc_scream24

ghiglie

May 31, 2023
Do you have the dimensions of the stock heatsink? I'd need them for CAD (cardboard assisted design) template so I could fabricobble together taller heatsink.

E: right above in the posts the black thing is actually a caliper that shows what I need :D:oops:
That was my idea but... sob, I can't work on it :(

ccash90

Aug 2, 2023
What do you think about this NAS? It looks like they are using the same n6005 motherboard that is being discussed here. 425€ including shipping and taxes actually sounds pretty good.
I was actually planning on putting the motherboard in a Jonsbo N2 case and would be on a similar price level. But the NAS has 6 instead of 5 HDD slots and 4 fans (probably then also better temperatures than in the Jonsbo N2).
I just don't know if the power supply is any good (1U Huntkey PSU)...In the Jonsbo I would probably install a Corsair SF450 Platinum.
Screenshot 2023-08-02 122217.png

Reactions: casperghst42

casperghst42

Sep 14, 2015
What do you think about this NAS? It looks like they are using the same n6005 motherboard that is being discussed here. 425€ including shipping and taxes actually sounds pretty good.
I was actually planning on putting the motherboard in a Jonsbo N2 case and would be on a similar price level. But the NAS has 6 instead of 5 HDD slots and 4 fans (probably then also better temperatures than in the Jonsbo N2).
I just don't know if the power supply is any good (1U Huntkey PSU)...In the Jonsbo I would probably install a Corsair SF450 Platinum.
I would say that the case it self is very interesting.

ancan

Jan 19, 2021
Hi all! Just wanted to check with you experts that I'm not doing a bad choice here.

I ordered a N5105 card on Amazon, from KingnovyPC. The card was stated to have 4 x i226/i225 NICs, 1 x m.2 and 1 x PCIe x4 slot. Product code on the pictures is "BKHD-N5100-NAS-I226".

The card I recieved was not this, but a " MW-NVR-N5105v10", with same NICs but 2 x m.2 and _no_ PCIe slot. It does also have two more USB connectors (internal).

My plan was to use my current LSI HBA on the PCIe-slot (after some modifications since the card is 8x), which was the reason I went with that card. Perhaps later on replace it with a less power sapping SATA controller instead.

I've already requested a return, but got worried the "correct" board would be a downgrade in some way. There seems to be plenty of variants of the card, and from reading this thread there's issues with having enough PCI lanes for storage. If the card I've got here is better in some way, I might just invest in a m.2 to PCIe adapter instead.

This is what I ordered: Amazon.se
This seems to be what I got: https://www.amazon.se/dp/B0BK98X5ZV