Topton 'NAS' motherboard.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

alaricljs

Jun 16, 2023
The one you got has i225v NICs. No idea why the one you ordered spec's both other than the ability for the seller to slip you either and get away with it from the 'as listed' perspective. Personally I'd prefer the i226v NICs, while apparently still troublesome in certain circumstances they are less so than the i225v.

Converting that m.2 into an x4 slot can be done by purchasing an adapter which is an added expense.

Given those two issues and your intended use, I'd push for the original item you ordered.

ancan

Jan 19, 2021
The one you got has i225v NICs. No idea why the one you ordered spec's both other than the ability for the seller to slip you either and get away with it from the 'as listed' perspective. Personally I'd prefer the i226v NICs, while apparently still troublesome in certain circumstances they are less so than the i225v.

Converting that m.2 into an x4 slot can be done by purchasing an adapter which is an added expense.

Given those two issues and your intended use, I'd push for the original item you ordered.
Thanks!

What I assume are the NIC chips are marked S2133L39, and while it wasn't that easy to find info it seems that's in fact the i226v. So NIC-wise this one is fine.

I might be able to live with a 6-slot m.2 to SATA adapter in one of the slots, but after playing with it a bit I came upon on a worrying issue: I can't get it to even POST when both m.2 slots are occupied. I've got a nvme in one slot, and have tried with a SATA-adapter, another nvme and a SATA SSD in the other, but as soon there's something in both slots is just spins the fan for a second then stops. No beeps, but NIC link light is still up. Only one m.2, all fine.

alaricljs

Jun 16, 2023
Check for bifurcation settings in the BIOS... without a proper "schematic" of the board there's no way to know if they shared lanes between the 2 slots.

ancan

Jan 19, 2021
Check for bifurcation settings in the BIOS... without a proper "schematic" of the board there's no way to know if they shared lanes between the 2 slots.
Never mind. It was my Samsung 970 Evo that the board couldn't have co-exist with anything else. Replaced with another nvme and everything works. Picky little thing this motherboard.

Waverly15

Aug 3, 2023
Ho
I've tested 64GB too and ran a memtest during last night, without issues. I'm using 2x Crucial/Micron CT2K16G4DFD832A 32GB, 3200 MHz (running at 2933MHz).
As mentioned in past posts, when you change the memory configuration, the screen stays dark for for longer in the first boot.

That serial number corresponds to DIMMs not SO-DIMMs. What’s the actual memory kit you are using.

tmoll_

Aug 2, 2023
Hey all, I'm hopping on the CW-J6412 train! I've got my system to POST and boot from an Ubuntu server live usb.
Just sharing the parts that I'm using for compatibility:

CWWK J6412Motherboard
Jonsbo N1Case
WD Black 500GB NVMe M.2 (x2)OS Drive
Lian Li SP 750WPSU
Crucial (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHzRAM
Seagate Exos 18 TB HDD (x5) (2x2 mirrored vdev + cold spare)Data Drive

If anyone's building in the Jonsbo N1 or N2: thin SATA cables to connect to the backplane are critical, makes wire routing 1000% easier: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B1CZHXZ1?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Motherboard wise: I modified the heatsink cover (which is thermoplastic) by CAREFULLY drilling pilot holes and CAREFULLY self tapping some 3mm radiator screws into the plastic. I needed to modify the aluminum fins underneath a bit with a Dremel to make clearance for the bolt ends. I unscrewed the stock fan, there's an empty space that would probably benefit from additional heatfins, but it's working for now.

I also lapped (sanded + polished) the bottom of the heatsink as the extruded aluminum surface finish is fairly rough and I think this is causing most of the thermal isuses people are seeing.
1691078558128.png1691078569370.png

Funny enough, I actually forgot to power it on and see how loud the stock fan was / what the temps were, but this fan will probably out last the motherboard.

I'll do a much more detailed write up soon

Last edited:

Waverly15

Aug 3, 2023
Hi all, what do I need to power this board properly? I saw on the first page it needs 4 pin 12v power. my PSU only has 8 to 8 12v. Do I need an adaptor cable?

thanks.

ormsher

Jun 25, 2023
Thanks I saw that. But my PSU doesn’t have a single 4 pin 12v so I need to buy one that does correct?
Are you sure that your 8 pin connector does not split in to two 4 pin connectors? Most of the 8 pin connectors allow you to do that.

Waverly15

Aug 3, 2023
Ok so I tried that and it booted. Then I saw some crashes and some graphic corruption. i have tried a variety of makes and models of DIMMs and sizes. early it booted on 8gb and was stable. Today I tried and the fans just spin no beeps nothing. Spent a few hours and nothing. At a loss now.

thanks for your responses.

ormsher

Jun 25, 2023
Ok so I tried that and it booted. Then I saw some crashes and some graphic corruption. i have tried a variety of makes and models of DIMMs and sizes. early it booted on 8gb and was stable. Today I tried and the fans just spin no beeps nothing. Spent a few hours and nothing. At a loss now.

thanks for your responses.
Had this happen to my as well. Only NAS fans seem to spin and would not boot or make a beep. Tried switching the switch on power supply to off after some time it being stuck with only fans spinning. Like on the third time it booted like nothing happened.

Waverly15

Aug 3, 2023
Had this happen to my as well. Only NAS fans seem to spin and would not boot or make a beep. Tried switching the switch on power supply to off after some time it being stuck with only fans spinning. Like on the third time it booted like nothing happened.
Tried that a few times now. No luck. I reset the cmos by crossing a screwdriver on the jbat but also removed the battery for a few minutes. Thought it might have got screwed up. Still no luck.

ormsher

Jun 25, 2023
Did anyone managed to get Plex transcoding working on Unraid using N5105? I installed Intel GPU TOP plugin and files in /dev/dri appeared. Even on Plex it shows as HW transcoding but even 1080p HEVC transcode uses 50-70% cpu and it shows up as gpu video load of around 20%

Waverly15

Aug 3, 2023
Did anyone managed to get Plex transcoding working on Unraid using N5105? I installed Intel GPU TOP plugin and files in /dev/dri appeared. Even on Plex it shows as HW transcoding but even 1080p HEVC transcode uses 50-70% cpu and it shows up as gpu video load of around 20%
If it shows HW then it is hardware transcoding. If you have subtitles on it will increase the CPU usage as well.

Waverly15

Aug 3, 2023
I give up on this board. Nothing is worth the hassle and wasted efforts to get it even to POST.

Just an expensive fan spinner with no boot at this point.

Jarikk

Aug 5, 2023
Hi everyone.
I just received this Mini ITX NAS motherboard J6413.

There are a few moment that I've noticed about this motherboard.

1) Both M.2 NVME slots have 2 PCIe lanes each.

I tried to simulate simultaneous read\write operation by performing CrystalDiskMark test of both NVME drives at the time. Not sure if this is a right method but in this test each of them shows maximum speed for x2 lanes (~1500MB/s read\write).

2) JMB585 SATA controller is connected to 1 PCIe lane

Haven't tested this case yet.

3) By some reason CPU fan has full speed regardless of the BIOS setting. But. to be honest, it is absolutely silent.

Correct me if I am wrong about PCIe lanes. Below are the screenshots of my tests.

Attachments

ormsher

Jun 25, 2023
Maybe someone has N5105 pin layout for power/hdd activity? Power pins seems to work, but hdd activity pins seems to not work with node 304