Topton 'NAS' motherboard.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Waverly15

Aug 3, 2023
Topton contacted me today and stepped through various steps. Still nothing but spinning fans so they have asked me to send to their facility in UK to determine the issue.

Reactions: ghiglie

noc_scream24

Jul 22, 2023
Interesting, as i use exact this setup with my node 304 and hdd led seems to not work. Oh well not a big deal.
Maybe the LED is blown out, or the wiring is wrong. You can test it with a small coin cell battery, and you can easily change the LED.
It's just a white LED. I had put a small silver duct tape to make it brighter. Otherwise, there's nothing exciting with the HDD LED. :|"

Attachments

Reactions: ormsher and 413xk

ghiglie

May 31, 2023
Hi everyone.
I just received this Mini ITX NAS motherboard J6413.

There are a few moment that I've noticed about this motherboard.

1) Both M.2 NVME slots have 2 PCIe lanes each.

I tried to simulate simultaneous read\write operation by performing CrystalDiskMark test of both NVME drives at the time. Not sure if this is a right method but in this test each of them shows maximum speed for x2 lanes (~1500MB/s read\write).

2) JMB585 SATA controller is connected to 1 PCIe lane

Haven't tested this case yet.

3) By some reason CPU fan has full speed regardless of the BIOS setting. But. to be honest, it is absolutely silent.

Correct me if I am wrong about PCIe lanes. Below are the screenshots of my tests.
Numbers are legit for 2 lanes, there are 2 ethernets, so it could be.
On infopics they still state them at x1 ... it's confusing!

That could be a nice mobo for Unraid installs.

ghiglie

May 31, 2023
I'm using an ILI9341 2.8-inch touch display powered by ESPHome, running on an ESP32. :D Data from Unraid is passed to Home Assistant via Glances
...got it! ;) I tried something similar with a way smaller display with a NodeMCU, but the display pagination got me sick... :| :D

Reactions: noc_scream24

vvkvvk

Feb 1, 2023
Got mine and started to play with it and it looks like VT-d is disabled in my BIOS? The System Agent page says VT-d is unsupported, even with the all the options set to enabeld.

E: BIOS bug, feature works when I just enable the bits in the kernel and use it.

Last edited:

cpu

Aug 12, 2023
For anyone interested I've recently bought variation of this N5105 board from KingnovyPC ( Płyta główna NAS N5105,4 port i226/i225 2.5GbE LAN, M.2 NVMe, 6 x SATA3.0, 2 x DDR4, 1 x PCIe4.0, Mini ITX miękki router VPN Otenwrt Barebone Micro Appliance DIY : Amazon.pl: Elektronika )
This version has 1xNVME slot and 1xPCIE (x2), I found out it uses ASM1166 for 6xSATA onboard ports, also I've managed to connect PCIE 6xSATA adapter based on ASM1166 too so it's a bonus. Proxmox 8.0 works like a charm with IOMMU enabled.

cpu

Aug 12, 2023
Ok so according to lspci:
onboard SATA controller ASM1166:
Speed 8GT/s, Width x2
PCIE slot (x2 electrical):
Speed 8GT/s, Width x1 (downgraded)
NVME slot:
Speed 8GT/s, Width x1 (downgraded)
Intel I226-V:
Speed 5GT/s, Width x1 (for each of 4 ports)

Not bad for ITX node - running Proxmox with IOMMU enabled and no problems to pass onboard ASM1166 to TrueNAS Scale, second ASM1166 has mirror Crucial MX500 for other VMs such as pfsense.

ghiglie

May 31, 2023
For anyone interested I've recently bought variation of this N5105 board from KingnovyPC ( Płyta główna NAS N5105,4 port i226/i225 2.5GbE LAN, M.2 NVMe, 6 x SATA3.0, 2 x DDR4, 1 x PCIe4.0, Mini ITX miękki router VPN Otenwrt Barebone Micro Appliance DIY : Amazon.pl: Elektronika )
This version has 1xNVME slot and 1xPCIE (x2), I found out it uses ASM1166 for 6xSATA onboard ports, also I've managed to connect PCIE 6xSATA adapter based on ASM1166 too so it's a bonus. Proxmox 8.0 works like a charm with IOMMU enabled.
Interesting, looks like this one: BKHD-N510X-NAS-I22X Intel Celeron N5105 N5100 Motherboard 6* SATA3.0 2.5G Nics Mini ITX 17x17CM Soft Routing 2*DDR4 Firewall - AliExpress

Could you check if the NVMe port is at x2 too?

cpu

Aug 12, 2023
That's the one - green PCB and 1xNVMe slot. Give me a day to remove PCIe SATA controller to see what we got if this line in unoccupied. Above you've got lspci when this mb is fully equipped. Power usage is around 20-21 W idle with NVMe and 2 x Crucial MX500 connected to external SATA adapter. Powertop works fine too, we might cut few watts by changing governor to powersave.

Reactions: ghiglie

aseriesoftubes

Aug 23, 2023
Has anybody considered purchasing a heatsink such as this one and strapping a fan or two to it? The heatsink seems to be about the same size as the one that's included with this board. If you drilled and tapped some holes in the bottom of the heatsink, and added some attachment points for a fan, it might help with some of the thermal issues that people have been experiencing.

tempomat

Aug 29, 2023

Attachments

Last edited:

noc_scream24

Jul 22, 2023
Hey I think I have a different model, the same green one as User "cpu" mentioned. (see spoiler)

Where would the pins be here? I tried the colorful ones; from top left being 1 but it does not work.

Another question: the BE quiet! Pure Power 12 M 550W ATX 3.0 is an valid option for this board isn't it?

BR

AS per the manual these are the pinouts, sorry my board is bit different1693347244330.png
Edit: That power supply should be good enough, Im using a RM550X.