Topton 'NAS' motherboard.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tempomat

Aug 29, 2023
Thanks a lot, this works! Where did you get this manual page? I was looking yesterday and did not find anything haha

On a bigger topic: I want to use Proxmox with a VM TrueNAS and some other services (Sonarr, Radarr, maybe Plex). Has anyone experience with this kind of setup? Anything special to look out for? :)

tempomat

Aug 29, 2023
For anyone interested I've recently bought variation of this N5105 board from KingnovyPC ( Płyta główna NAS N5105,4 port i226/i225 2.5GbE LAN, M.2 NVMe, 6 x SATA3.0, 2 x DDR4, 1 x PCIe4.0, Mini ITX miękki router VPN Otenwrt Barebone Micro Appliance DIY : Amazon.pl: Elektronika )
This version has 1xNVME slot and 1xPCIE (x2), I found out it uses ASM1166 for 6xSATA onboard ports, also I've managed to connect PCIE 6xSATA adapter based on ASM1166 too so it's a bonus. Proxmox 8.0 works like a charm with IOMMU enabled.
Have you tried changing the fan of the CPU? I think it is a bit noisy and would like to make some adjustments but don't know how.

GibsonXXI

Sep 3, 2023
Thanks a lot, this works! Where did you get this manual page? I was looking yesterday and did not find anything haha

On a bigger topic: I want to use Proxmox with a VM TrueNAS and some other services (Sonarr, Radarr, maybe Plex). Has anyone experience with this kind of setup? Anything special to look out for? :)
The manual for this motherboard can be found on the manufacturer's website (BKHD) here: BKHD NAS N510X MB

Click the link that says: "Product Specifications" to download it as a PDF file. There's also a BIOS image link as well.

I don't have the board yet, but am planning to purchase it and marry it to a ASMedia 1164-based PCIe x2/x4 expansion card to give me a total of 8 drives, and do away with the two QNAP nases I currently have that are affected by the J1900 LPC-CLK hardware bug.

Gib.

Reactions: Marsh and ghiglie

toptop

Sep 12, 2023
Hi all.
My board is stuck at 2400MHz ram clock speed. I've set "maximum clock speed" to 3200 in BIOS, and `dmidecode -t memory` shows memory installed is 3200MT/s but "Configured speed" is still 2400. I also tried installing 2666MHz ram - same story.

Does anyone have any ideas how to change it?

Last edited:

koramo

Sep 17, 2023
Hello,
I installed the motherboard (BKHD NVR N5105 NAS MB) with the original memory and nvme.
The motherboard is bought from https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0BYVQMJ8J
The source is a Be quit.

The motherboard fan is working, the case fan is working but when i connect the hdmi to the monitor there is no output.
Do you have any idea why?

So far, i pulled off the sata cables, the nvme, the memory, i tried to clear the cmos. Nothing.
Also, the be quiet! BN320 PSU has 20+4 pins and i inseted them in the proper place.
At the same time, i had no cables to insert into the 4 pins DC-ATX one.
It might be the issue ?

I would appreciate your experience in this case.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: SirAngelbane

Marsh

May 12, 2013
At the same time, i had no cables to insert into the 4 pins DC-ATX one.
It might be the issue ?
Yes, absolutely you need the 4pin EPS 12v power connector
I received the same board last week, it is working fine with 24 pin atx power connector and 4 pin EPS 12v connector.

Reactions: koramo

sjoerd

Dec 29, 2022
OK, a link to google drive - CW-NAS-N5105-23.4.28.iso (ISO file I got from seller).

A few notes:
  • it has a typo in start script - so if you boot from this ISO, you need to execute flash manually. But if you just need a *.bin file - it's fine, just extract it.
  • I don't know if it makes any difference, but my motherboard is black
Hey,

It's been a while and want to revive my attempts to use it with unraid. I got the ISO but forgive me for asking :eek:: How do i flash the firmware. Last mainstream motherboards I got all had bios' that could be updated directory from the bios. Last time I had to deal with that was prev. century :D Also balena etcher says iso is not bootable.

Is this still the latest bios ?

Last edited:

sjoerd

Dec 29, 2022
CWWK has a BIOS dated 8/30/23, 畅网官方网盘
That link is a redirect from clicking on the Service & Support link on the cwwk.net page.
I haven't tried it yet, but would be interested in hearing if anyone else has.
Going to give that a shot.
I just downloaded it - still not a bootable iso, so after work I log to my windows partition to use rufus and hopefully get a bootable usbstick.

sjoerd

Dec 29, 2022
Can confirm that the firmware got flashed successfully. I indeed used rufus to make it bootable. unraid still needed those extra kernel params and still does not like when u have dockers and 3 vm's running.. System hangs within minutes. Sadly

Reactions: LaunderedShirt

Marsh

May 12, 2013
unraid still needed those extra kernel params
I am using the BKHD N5100 version of NAS board.
I booted and setup UNRAID without extra kernel params , only have 1 Emby docker .
I used the NAS and Emby to watch about 8 hours of shows without issue.
I am surprised there is a different between BKHD and CWWK version.

I paid $97 for the BKHD N5100 version of motherboard.
Waiting for the same sale again , my paid more for the N5105 version, now I am sure Ubuntu and UNRAID are compatible.

Forgot to add , twice , I did a 14TB file transfer (28 x 2 = 56 hours ) via network to test for stability.

sjoerd

Dec 29, 2022
I am using the BKHD N5100 version of NAS board.
I booted and setup UNRAID without extra kernel params , only have 1 Emby docker .
I used the NAS and Emby to watch about 8 hours of shows without issue.
I am surprised there is a different between BKHD and CWWK version.

I paid $97 for the BKHD N5100 version of motherboard.
Waiting for the same sale again , my paid more for the N5105 version, now I am sure Ubuntu and UNRAID are compatible.

Forgot to add , twice , I did a 14TB file transfer (28 x 2 = 56 hours ) via network to test for stability.
I don't know the BKHD board but the layout and spec are as far as I can tell quite the same. If I only knew what cause the crash. I think im going to try proxmox again but got no spare nvme's / hdd's left and this board is already getting a money-sink for me :(

Marsh

May 12, 2013
This is my finding.

BKHD N5100 NAS board , LL PC-Q08 , 2x8gb ram , 2 FANS
Unraid 6.12.4 idle at 21w
Add 1x256gb nvme ssd , 2 x 14TB spin up @33w
2 HD spun down @25w
Emby hardware transcoding , 1 HD , 38w

I am testing another motherboard combo now.

Asrock Z490N-ITX , I5-10400T , 2 x8gb , 2 nvme SSD
Seasonic 500w gold PSU

The only out-of-the-ordinary trick here was forcing on all the C-states in the BIOS and choosing C10 as the desired C-state.
BIOS enable C-state to C10
W10 idle at 8-9w
powertop --auto-tune worked well with Asrock motherboard

vvkvvk

Feb 1, 2023
The only out-of-the-ordinary trick here was forcing on all the C-states in the BIOS and choosing C10 as the desired C-state.
BIOS enable C-state to C10
W10 idle at 8-9w
Are these numbers and trick for the Topton or some other unrelated setup?

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Are these numbers and trick for the Topton or some other unrelated setup?
6W idle is for Z490M-itx
Asrock Z490M-ITX , I5-10400T , 2 x8gb , 2 nvme SSD
Seasonic 500w gold PSU

I am not sure which way to go .
BKHD with N5100 idle power is higher than Z490M-itx and I5-10400T.
powertop --auto-tune crashed N5100 board.

Price wise
Z490M-itx paid $105 , I5-10400T CPU paid $60 , $35 G6400 have same or more CPU processing power than N5100.
Z490M-itx has 1 gig and 2.5gbe network, only 4 sata ports compare to 6 sata ports

TobiasT

May 13, 2023
CWWK has a BIOS dated 8/30/23, 畅网官方网盘
That link is a redirect from clicking on the Service & Support link on the cwwk.net page.
I haven't tried it yet, but would be interested in hearing if anyone else has.

LANWakeup indicates that wake-on-lan is now working under windows?

Can someone please confirm that the above mentioned BIOS update is for this board.

Thanks.

Last edited: