Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Clinking3733

Jul 4, 2023
Enjoy the traveling. I hope you don't get discouraged so easily and stop wasting your time with the customer support from Aliexpress.

> I cannot even see what each of the 4 pins do, e.g. GND, 5V, 12V, PWM or whatever).

The 4 pins are a standard FAN layout (you can ALWAYS run a 3pin FAN on a 4pin header, you just waste the 4th pin for PWM): first 2 pins are: GND and voltage.
I measured (pin 1 is GND and pin 2 is Voltage) the 4-pin header while powered on (removed the NVMe so I can power it off by pressing the button and avoid data corruption) and it is a 12V FAN! You should be able to replicate the measurement if you have a voltmeter.

@djovani Thanks for mentioning your CPU unit. It is a different unit! I have the Intel Core i3-N305 from Topton Official Store.

I have messaged all shops I could find on Aliexpress that were selling JST 1.00mm & finally, one shop (alinsin Store, the same shop that @djovani linked) agreed to send me a custom order (I officially paid for the SH 1.0MM, 100MM, 10PCS 4P):
  • 5 pcs SH 1.00mm
  • 5 pcs JST 1.25mm
  • small (10 cm) heat shrink tube - they sell 2m tube

I think the 1.00mm will fit because I tried a CMOS battery 3pin header (I found out that the header is also a JST 1mm + I measured it) I had laying around and it fitted:
MB_FAN_JST_1mm_3_resized.jpg

I will come back with a comment when my JST order arrives and I can 100% confirm which of the 2 types of header it is (1.00mm vs 1.25mm).

djovani

Feb 24, 2023
Hey mate,

Good you are testing, I was just sharing my experience.
I did what you have, initially orders 1, and after that 1.25.
As mentioned I have i3-n305 as well.
Anyway glad you have ordered 1.25 as well.
The colors do not match, so you will have to manually match the cables.

Reactions: newsboost

newsboost

Jul 15, 2022
I have connected on both my units an N6005 and an N305 a 5v fan and made a connection with 1.25mm JST.
This is what I have purchased to connect:
You're saying this works for 5V and not 12V PWM or?

And what does it mean: "Pins: 10PCS 2P, Pins: 10PCS 3P, Pins: 10PCS 4P, Pins: 10PCS 5P, Pins: 10PCS 6P, Pins: 10PCS 7P, Pins: 10PCS 8P, Pins: 10PCS 9P, Pins: 10PCS 10P, Pins: 10PCS 12P" ?

I assume one orders 10 pieces - what does the last 2P, 3P, ... 12P mean and should I order 2P ?

I assume connector type 100mm/200mm/300mm is just the cable length...

I think I'll make an order similar to yours, when I understand things properly. Thanks!

newsboost

Jul 15, 2022
I will come back with a comment when my JST order arrives and I can 100% confirm which of the 2 types of header it is (1.00mm vs 1.25mm).
Yes, please do, I'm rather confused about the different versions that seem to be out there. But sounds like my mini-pc is similar to yours and maybe I should just buy both 1.00 + 1.25 mm, if I become too eager and decide I cannot wait anylonger :) Thanks!

djovani

Feb 24, 2023
The 2p or 3p is the pins, so 4pins is what I ordered, and have connected to an extension cable.
Will upload pictures later today, as for volts I do believe it is 5v not 12.
I am using a Noctua reduced fan to cool the outside, as it seems to have a better effect, and I am keeping to the unit in my living room, so wanted no noise.
I've tried some 80/80/10 fans but those were very loud, and although I had 4 pins connected it looked like there was no control on the fan speed, so all the time they were at max speed

MZero

Jul 31, 2023
hi guys , throwing my inquiry here hoping no one mention it , still on first pages reading the discussion .
So I got the n100 mini pc form AliExpress topton , its ruining Pmox great with pfsnese which is great , but I might be little bit carfull and through google search it lead me here .

have anyone got the same one or mange to update the bios either similar to protectli or coreboot , I'm worrying about these chinese version might even with low chance to have some kind of backdoor shipped within bios .

my suspeios only because when I ordered it took long time to be shipped and when asked the seller they say they were doing tests and making sure its running

komodikkio

Apr 25, 2023
Hi all fellas
My new barebone 5825U device just arrived
I'm assembling it and I would like to ask something to those already owning this kind of device
1) where could I check for any cwwk's bios update availability?
2) to install a sata SSD drive to pair with the M2 one I already installed, where could I place it? just on top of the nvme and ram spot? Because this way the bottom cover's fan would be in direct contact with the data drive, and I think this would for sure block the airflow from this fan.
3) cwwk sent me a replacement for a side cover of the case with 2 little fans to attach on it. On the fans there's not any arrow to show from which side the airflow will move. Do anyone know if the air flows from the side with the sticker to other one or viceversa? And where the hell should I connect the 4 pin this fans come with?

Sorry for bothering you with all this questions, but is my 1th device of this kind and I'm a bit confused on how to go with it
I attach some pics of the device and how I was considering to place the additional data SSD drive

Any advice will be really appreciated
Thanks a lot
Kom

Last edited:

yahyoh

Sep 9, 2022
Guys, where we can find the latest bios? CW website seems messed up and showing no bios available..

btuysser

Jun 23, 2023
I have a rather interesting problem which I am sure has a perfectly reasonable explanation (not). So basically I have a Topton but with the i1135G7 and the i225V 4 port ethernet. My problem is that if I passthrough port 1 or 4 (enp2s0, enp5s0) to a proxmox VM it fails with a message
"Can't go from D3cold to D0, device inaccessible" or something like that. If I use ports 2 and 3 then it works flawlessly. Do ports 1 and 4 have a special function that I am not aware of?
Hi, did you ever figure this out? I'm getting the same error (on a n100 board with a i226v4) when forwarding eth3 or eth4 unless I turn off PCIe port power management off via pcie_port_pm=off in grub.

hammonds

Dec 26, 2017
I've got a Topton N6005 V5 that's been working flawlessly, though I had to change most things to LXC as I was having issues with most VMs, has there been any bios updates/firmware/kernel changes etc in the last 6 months that I should know about? (being lazy, 140 pages is a lot) o_O

My Opnsense VM is rock solid though so I don't really want to rock the boat

1692054754818.png

Reactions: Stovar

Thorror

Sep 16, 2022
I had also several VMs which suddenly stopped working but this did not happen the last months. BIOS Updates, CPU microcode Updates,newer kernel 6.x fixed the issue. Also i updated now to Proxmox 8.0 and everything runs smoothly. Bitwarden VM, adguard LXC, Docker VM and OPNSense VM
But i have a J6413

Reactions: Stovar

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022
My cwwk 5 nic N5105 v5 unit is still going rock solid and stable 24/7 after 6 months or so. I think it randomly rebooted a few times but fine once restarted.

Did these basics
-Checked cpu contact was good enough (redid the thermal paste and then rechecked cpu and heatsink contact was made) and checked cpu temps
-Applied the bios power tweaks mentioned from several others from here, I put them in one post to make it easier : Link here
-Cable tied an 120mm silent fan with usb power connector from Amazon on top to assist cooling just in case.
-Kept things as basic and simple as possible all Bare metal with Openwrt running, no VM, Prox etc
-5 x 2.5gb Nics all working fine, main desktop pc still hitting 800-900Mbps with Wireguard VPN provider.

Wont play around with it since its all working fine!

noenthu

Mar 7, 2023
Hi All, I have the cw-n6000 v2 black motherboard. What is the latest bios version people are using for the v2 board? Any links or recommendations would be appreciated.

morgana2313

Aug 8, 2023
the pinout is different to cisco and most other gear using RJ45 serial ports.
I measured and can confirm it's compatible with a Cisco RJ45 console cable:

TopTonNullmodem
nameICL3243 pinRJ45 pinDB9 pinnameRemark
RTS →
8​
1​
8​
CTSStrange, ICL3243 pin 8 is an input?!
DTR →
9​
2​
6​
DSR
TX →
10​
3​
2​
RX
GND
4​
↔
5​
GND
GND
5​
↔Chassis
RX ←
6​
6​
3​
TX
DSR ←
7​
7​
4​
DTR
CTS ←
5​
8​
7​
RTSLogical guess, but could not establish correct working

kliguin

Nov 22, 2022
Yeah, as far as i know for Version 3, 4 and 5 yes. I have the same installed on my v4.
Thanks for sharing the new link. My box got this identification sticker:

FMI07 N5105 JK 4L-V02 CBOX currently running this bios version JK4LV105

Would you be able to guide me to the correct folder, or explain me how to recognize the V3,4,5 boards? Im a bit confused as the sticker says V02, and the BIOS show V105 which Im unable to find online. Some topics wrote about being a V3 if you have I226-v NIC's and USB-C ports.

Any help appreciated.

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
FMI07 N5105 JK 4L-V02 CBOX currently running this bios version JK4LV105
My board says CW-N5105-4L and i have ordered it here.
Best way to distinguish are the different ports:
V1/V2 have mPCIE port for the WiFi, 1 HDMI in front, 2-4 USB in front, 4 LAN in back.
V3/4/5 have 4 USB, USB-C and SD-card reader in front, 4 LAN and HDMI and DP in back. Both internal slots are m.2.

But these are only the changwang boards, there are others (eg bluetec with a console port). Could you post a picture of your board?
I can not have look at my BIOS, its running as my main router...

Last edited: