Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DomFel

Sep 5, 2022
Looks normal for N5105 without a fan.
I have mine (N5105 with i226) with Proxmox and 3 LXCs stable at 27C, nvme at 31C. Just replaced the thermal paste, but my box is as slimmer as his but slightly different.

I wouldn't say normal, I'd say the CPU is not making proper contact with the chassis.

DomFel

Sep 5, 2022
Has anybody got this errors in the syslog of Proxmox:

pve kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] *ERROR* Unexpected DP dual mode adaptor ID 7f

Can't get rid of those, and there is no display connected to the DP port nor to the HDMI one.

Immortal

Jan 25, 2023
I have mine (N5105 with i226) with Proxmox and 3 LXCs stable at 27C, nvme at 31C. Just replaced the thermal paste, but my box is as slimmer as his but slightly different.

I wouldn't say normal, I'd say the CPU is not making proper contact with the chassis.
Like i said i assume his setup is not at idle(given the things he run on it) at any time. 27C even at idle for this CPU is very low. Replacing thermal paste is always a good idea on those premade boxes.

DomFel

Sep 5, 2022
Like i said i assume his setup is not at idle at any time. 27C even at idle for this CPU is very low. Replacing thermal paste is always a good idea on those premade boxes.
I have N6005 boxes idling at 29C, I think it depends on the quality of the chassis/copper block. 60C when idling is definitely wrong here.

Immortal

Jan 25, 2023
I have N6005 boxes idling at 29C, I think it depends on the quality of the chassis/copper block. 60C when idling is definitely wrong here.
Yeas at idle, that's fine. Again i don't think his setup is at idle with 60C. He posted a graph with cpu usage. It seems he is at very least at 40% CPU usage ALL the time. So 60C seems quite fine.

Reactions: DomFel

Oarman

Feb 28, 2021

27C would be a very good number for forced air cooling. It's not realistic for a passively cooled chip under load, even a little N5105, assuming your ambient is anything 'room temperature' - you simply have to have deltaT to reject heat. You may want to see if you're somehow monitoring the wrong sensor.

DomFel

Sep 5, 2022
You may want to see if you're somehow monitoring the wrong sensor.
Positive I got the right ones, like most other users in this forum with these temps:

Code:
root@pve:~# sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0:  +32.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 0:        +28.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1:        +28.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 2:        +28.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 3:        +28.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

acpitz-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
temp1:        +33.0°C  (crit = +119.0°C)

nvme-pci-0100
Adapter: PCI adapter
Composite:    +33.9°C  (low  =  -5.2°C, high = +79.8°C)
                       (crit = +84.8°C)

Oarman

Feb 28, 2021
Positive I got the right ones, like most other users in this forum with these temps:
What is your room ambient temperature and do you have anything moving air over the case?

In general if a chip runs hot at idle and then just gets worse under stress, the heatsink and mount could be an issue. If the box runs warm 'idle' but doesn't warm up much more under load, it's probably not actually idle, or it's got suboptimal power settings / c-states disabled etc. But as others stated, running 'warm' in a controlled manner is not a problem for these boxes.

s_p

Feb 11, 2023

what is your average cpu load?
mine at minimum is 37%
I replaced the thermal paste and installed a thermal pad, making sure I did a good job.
But maybe you did better.

s_p

Feb 11, 2023
after a few minutes with the fan at minimum speed
Code:
root@server:~# sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0:  +40.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 0:        +40.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1:        +40.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 2:        +40.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 3:        +40.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

acpitz-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
temp1:        +27.8°C  (crit = +119.0°C)

nvme-pci-0100
Adapter: PCI adapter
Composite:    +46.9°C  (low  =  -0.1°C, high = +84.8°C)
                       (crit = +94.8°C)
Sensor 1:     +46.9°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)
Sensor 2:     +51.9°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)
Sensor 8:     +46.9°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)

root@server:~#

TvdH

Jul 17, 2013
The Netherlands
I recently discovered the new(ish) V5 mini pc models on the website of CWWK. Currently looking into the N5105 model over the N6005 due to power consumption differences. As I was not sure about the M.2 NVME slots on this model, due to one being listed but the upgrades describing a fix for the clock timing issues on earlier models, I asked the CWWK if the motherboard had one or two M.2 NVME slots. The response was "It is 1 NVME and 2 M.2", with two pictures:

view1.jpg view2.jpg

This is what the website itself mentions:
【New upgrade】The original Intel i225-V B3 network card has been upgraded to an Intel i226-V2.5G network card, AU5426 clock driver is added, so the dual M 2. The main controller is no longer selected. At the same time, a new GL823K chip is added to enable the TF card to support system boot. The bottom cover is fully upgraded to porous cooling, and supports the 8010 temperature controlled fan.
Maybe someone here already has one of these models and can help me out. I have the following questions:
1. Is it one or two NVME M.2 slots? First image highlights 2 NVME 2280 M.2 slots
2. The case seems to support a 4010 fan, 5V, 4-pin. Is there something known around the connector used and the wiring? 4-pin (PWM+tacho?) ones are rare to find on Aliexpress. Someone found a correct model? Otherwise a 5V USB based one might be an option though.

Reactions: Keikun and Stovar

tusk9541

Nov 23, 2022
I recently discovered the new(ish) V5 mini pc models on the website of CWWK. Currently looking into the N5105 model over the N6005 due to power consumption differences. As I was not sure about the M.2 NVME slots on this model, due to one being listed but the upgrades describing a fix for the clock timing issues on earlier models, I asked the CWWK if the motherboard had one or two M.2 NVME slots. The response was "It is 1 NVME and 2 M.2", with two pictures:

View attachment 27281 View attachment 27282

Maybe someone here already has one of these models and can help me out. I have the following questions:
1. Is it one or two NVME M.2 slots? First image highlights 2 NVME 2280 M.2 slots
2. The case seems to support a 4010 fan, 5V, 4-pin. Is there something known around the connector used and the wiring? 4-pin (PWM+tacho?) ones are rare to find on Aliexpress. Someone found a correct model? Otherwise a 5V USB based one might be an option though.
I got that one with N5105, but not with the case in your link, and can't answer #2, fanless was is my 1st requirement for this box. Although, I got the weakest of the heatsink boxes so you shouldn't have any issues with any other. It could probably be OK without modifications, but if you find a way to apply pressure or test if a copper shim improves temps, it shouldn't throttle at all, mine doesn't, even with Prime95 running for a couple hours stays well below the throttle temp, I've done a few tests in the last few pages. They seem to have an improved design for mounting the board with the 6 port model though, which adds 2 screws to add pressure to the CPU.

As for #1, there are two NVME slots, but one on top of the other, and one is a small one, I think 2230. On this one, there's this adapter so it effectively puts the 2280 slots side by side. I've used both slots and they work with NVME drives, but didn't test speed with both connected simultaneously, I was dual booting Win 11 and Opnsense for a while.

romprod

Feb 20, 2023
Hey guys,

So I have the V1 version of this box with 32GB RAM and a 2TB NVME installed.

I've decided to install proxmox but I'm having issues botting the official Proxmox USB isntaller although I can boot pfSense fine.

Is there a special trick to do this or is there a hidden menu somewhere that I need to enable/disable to pickup my Promox USB stick?

I've tried searching this thread for this question so apologies if it's been answered already but it's 126 pages long at this point! :eek:

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022
I recently discovered the new(ish) V5 mini pc models on the website of CWWK. Currently looking into the N5105 model over the N6005 due to

Just wanted to chime in on that thought in regards to sticking with N5105, no doubt CWWK and others are replacing popular models such as the N5105 series with N6005s and the newer Celeron J6412/3 series but as others have previously tested those here and here, it does not always translate to better overall, those newer cpus maybe more power hungry and the N5105 is feels the sweet spot atm for performance and lower wattage usage and it maybe for 2023.

Hopefully the N100/200 maybe better.

Reactions: TvdH

romprod

Feb 20, 2023
Hey guys,

So I have the V1 version of this box with 32GB RAM and a 2TB NVME installed.

I've decided to install proxmox but I'm having issues botting the official Proxmox USB isntaller although I can boot pfSense fine.

Is there a special trick to do this or is there a hidden menu somewhere that I need to enable/disable to pickup my Promox USB stick?

I've tried searching this thread for this question so apologies if it's been answered already but it's 126 pages long at this point! :eek:
Ignore this, I've now somehow managed to get it booted.

Immortal

Jan 25, 2023
Just wanted to chime in on that thought in regards to sticking with N5105, no doubt CWWK and others are replacing popular models such as the N5105 series with N6005s and the newer Celeron J6412/3 series but as others have previously tested those here and here, it does not always translate to better overall, those newer cpus maybe more power hungry and the N5105 is feels the sweet spot atm for performance and lower wattage usage and it maybe for 2023.

Hopefully the N100/200 maybe better.
N100/200 won't be any faster or maybe by a small margin. N200 is roughly at level of i5-8250U performance wise when TDP limit is lifted. As it stands at 6W(and its not really a 6W) it will be slower.

For now the upgrade path from N5105 is pretty straight-forward, you either go for something like i5 1135G7 or i3/i5 1215U/1235U if you want Intel or something like Ryzen 5600U/5800U for AMD. Performance boost is big with those but so is the power drawn vs N5105.

Can't have it both ways(for now).

Reactions: Stovar and DomFel

efahl

Oct 17, 2022
US California
Uh oh, this is the exact one I have coming I was wondering if you could get airflow through vents on the sides? Please report back when you've tried the 120mm fan!

You say it's at least 60c, what does it go up to under sustained load?
I also have that model, it idles at about 40C and hits 50 when I push traffic through it. I'm running OpenWrt, so the load is much lower than with a VM host and all that entails. I did rework the cooling solution by disassembling it, removing 0.4mm from each mounting post after measuring things, and using real Arctic thermal paste for reassembly.

I've tried orienting it on its side and end, to see if any convection direction changes result in different temperatures, but the numbers were stable through hours-long tests.

Reactions: Stovar and spengbab

BobS

Dec 2, 2022

I have the 4 port version (RJ03L model) and to try and answer your fan question, the internal connector is a male pico connector and accepts a 1.25 pitch Dupont female 4 pin connector. I got my unit from HUNSN and they shipped 2 fans (80x10mm and 40x10mm) along with two cables that convert the 'standard' 4 pin fan to the pico connector. The fan header supports 12v fans PWM + tach. I made a post about this unit and fans here that may be helpful becasue it includes some photo's:

BobS

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
after 4 minutes of stress test with 100% cpu, temperature is 64°C-66°C
That's amazingly good.

I also have the 'cheap case' running opnsense baremetal. the one advantage my case has over yours is there are some vent holes in the bottom and space for an internal 40mm fan (If I didn't have that blocked with a 2.5" SSD)

my system has no additional effort taking on cooling the case, and is tucked away in a corner. it idles at 70C. when I run a speedtest through it it gets up to 90C. but I don't worry about it because it's still less than the cpu's max temp by a good margin (105C).

you might want to keep an eye on the SSD though, look up what the max temp is for that model samsung. it's often around 70C. See what the temp is under a realistic load test. Since there's no air holes in the bottom of the case, airflow through the side vents might help a bit if it gets too hot.

Fatboy

Jan 21, 2023
The motherboard has two PWM fan headers. One on the processor side, the other on the back cover. But the BIOS displays the speed of only one fan, therefore, to use two, it is necessary to open the third contact from the ground on one of them. The 4010 fan was in the previous model. And in the new model, the cover allows you to install 8010, but without the possibility of attaching to the wall.