The ULTRA EPYC

Discussion in 'DIY Server and Workstation Builds' started by Patrick, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi @BennyT - I got a USB 3.0 hub. I still need to put everything together so that may change. I was also thinking a NVMe SSD cage for that spot.

BennyT likes this.
  2. mstone

mstone Active Member

Yeah, a lot of startups back in the day blew huge amounts of money on sun gear, then folded and dumped it cheap. ;-)

3. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

Added a few more photos.

4. rune-san

rune-san Member

That case and design methodology just looks so great to me! I love walking by their Exadata racks and the ZFS5-4 Engineered Storage racks. They just *look* great.

They aren't terribly expensive on the second-hand market so definitely curious about a build-log to make this work :D

5. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

T_Minus likes this.
  6. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

BennyT likes this.
  7. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

Terrible airflow, but here is the Ultra EPYC:
    [​IMG]

EcLiPsE, Marsh, William and 3 others like this.
  8. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

9. KC8FLB

KC8FLB New Member

Great job on the build, love the article.

Love all the old Sun workstations. We had tens of thousands of Sun and SGI workstations at work. I started with a Sparc Station 20 then to a Ultra 1 Creator, Ultra 2 Creator, Ultra 30 Elite, Ultra 60, Sun Blade 1500 and 2500 before we went to Windows Vista.

Many engineers grew up with Solaris workstations at their main computers, and bought off lease workstations for home machines, just for normal home use. I had a Ultra 30 at home and came very, very close to buying a Ultra 45 (glad I didn't, those things were monsters)

I was part of a training team that had to teach many users how to use Windows Vista when we finally made the switch to
    Windows for engineering workstations. There were users who never used Windows before, but who were quite proficient on Solaris.

There are still some users who still use the Sun three button (no scroll wheel) mouse

10. gigatexal

gigatexal I'm here to learn

Get rid of the 3.5 inch drives and replace them with fans?

11. MiniKnight

MiniKnight Well-Known Member

Why didn't you use the SNK-P0064AP4 4U heatsink? That'd send heat the proper direction.

capn_pineapple and T_Minus like this.
  12. Pri

Pri Active Member

This was a great read. You could really feel your excitement and enthusiasm coming through.

BennyT likes this.
  13. cliffr

cliffr Member

14. BennyT

BennyT Member

I really enjoyed reading of this build,. It is an interesting chassis, that's for sure. And those EPYC processors are huge, they're bigger than Skylake SP.

Regarding fan orientation air flow etc. Patrick addresses this on page 5 of the article with a few possible solutions. NOTE: My two cents.... a blower type GPU card (see attached image) which exhausts it's hot air out the back of the chassis might help too, instead of a GPU that exhausts hot air back into the chassis. But man, those GPUs are not cheap and probably not somthing you can change out at a whim :). Be interesting to see various system temps at idle and with cpu and/or gpu under heavy load. If the temps are good, i probably wouldn't change anything.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019