The ULTRA EPYC

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Hi @BennyT - I got a USB 3.0 hub. I still need to put everything together so that may change. I was also thinking a NVMe SSD cage for that spot.

Reactions: BennyT

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
I think a lot of us on STH had Sun gear at some part. I believe @Marsh told me a story about the Sun towers he bought decades ago.
Yeah, a lot of startups back in the day blew huge amounts of money on sun gear, then folded and dumped it cheap. ;-)

rune-san

Feb 7, 2014
That case and design methodology just looks so great to me! I love walking by their Exadata racks and the ZFS5-4 Engineered Storage racks. They just *look* great.

They aren't terribly expensive on the second-hand market so definitely curious about a build-log to make this work :D

KC8FLB

Aug 12, 2018
Great job on the build, love the article.

Love all the old Sun workstations. We had tens of thousands of Sun and SGI workstations at work. I started with a Sparc Station 20 then to a Ultra 1 Creator, Ultra 2 Creator, Ultra 30 Elite, Ultra 60, Sun Blade 1500 and 2500 before we went to Windows Vista.

Many engineers grew up with Solaris workstations at their main computers, and bought off lease workstations for home machines, just for normal home use. I had a Ultra 30 at home and came very, very close to buying a Ultra 45 (glad I didn't, those things were monsters)

I was part of a training team that had to teach many users how to use Windows Vista when we finally made the switch to
Windows for engineering workstations. There were users who never used Windows before, but who were quite proficient on Solaris.

There are still some users who still use the Sun three button (no scroll wheel) mouse

Pri

Jul 30, 2014
This was a great read. You could really feel your excitement and enthusiasm coming through.

Reactions: BennyT

BennyT

Dec 1, 2018
I really enjoyed reading of this build,. It is an interesting chassis, that's for sure. And those EPYC processors are huge, they're bigger than Skylake SP.

Regarding fan orientation air flow etc. Patrick addresses this on page 5 of the article with a few possible solutions. NOTE: My two cents.... a blower type GPU card (see attached image) which exhausts it's hot air out the back of the chassis might help too, instead of a GPU that exhausts hot air back into the chassis. But man, those GPUs are not cheap and probably not somthing you can change out at a whim :). Be interesting to see various system temps at idle and with cpu and/or gpu under heavy load. If the temps are good, i probably wouldn't change anything.

Attachments

Last edited:

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
How did I miss this thread?

SO COOL.

I had a Sun Ultra 5 workstation in the late 90's, loved it!!

Will the motherboard allow you to change the bios splash screen, some of my boards will let you customize it, and if so you should use a Sun oem splash screen image.:cool:

EDIT: I just realized the date of the original post is the reason why I missed this thread, I was not on here too often then since I was still recovering from my open heart surgery.

Its amazing with all the old computer stuff I have , from an old 8088 to a Ryzen 3700X I have zero Sun hardware. All I have is some old disks so I might need to change that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick