Synology Replacement

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
How very retro of you @T_Minus :-D

So that AIO monsta' did not work out for you? DAMN, I must be a gluten for punishment running x's 3 2011v1 systems. Seems funny to me w/ all the legit HW you have to be backing off to this type of build...kinda like you picked up the scraps and pieces and said 'LET'S DO THIS!' HAH j/k nice 'thinking outside the box' if $ was not an option I'd just go w/ that new sweet SM Xeon-D platform that's gonna cost $2K :-D That thing is a BEAST!

I ain't gonna lie...any of these iStar chassis make me cringe, for that $ why not get a proven/solid chassis from a reputable manufacturer (yeah I said it) lol
Well, I still would like redundant PSU but if I don't "need" It up within 5min of it going down again I don't mind swapping the ATX PSU. I don't need 400GB+ RAM, or to test as much/often as I thought, don't need it to idle 2x what this one will... more of a file server replacement with some oooomph than a home AIO+DEV box now. I'll still have my business dev box ready to go, but the home AIO likely will get turned into a DB Server or something along those lines that can use all the RAM :)

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
And how about those who don't have more than a few hundred $ to spend on a rackmount chassis?

I'm not sure why all the hate, but I like my Rosewill 4U rackmount, takes 120M Fans, ATX PSU and I think is only around $120 with I believe 8 or 12 hot-swap. I'll check what mine is, I know there are 2 models and people don't like a certain one more than the other. (no expander, requires fan-out cables which, imho not too big of ad eal.) I use the same hot-swap caddy in my benchbox as you can buy them to go in 5.25 bays too! I believe I stripepd out the middle support, and maybe some else form it, but it's beefy and works just fine how it is!

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
I'm not sure why all the hate, but I like my Rosewill 4U rackmount, takes 120M Fans, ATX PSU and I think is only around $120 with I believe 8 or 12 hot-swap. I'll check what mine is, I know there are 2 models and people don't like a certain one more than the other. (no expander, requires fan-out cables which, imho not too big of ad eal.) I use the same hot-swap caddy in my benchbox as you can buy them to go in 5.25 bays too! I believe I stripepd out the middle support, and maybe some else form it, but it's beefy and works just fine how it is!
No hate at all here. I'm just anxious to find a good affordable chassis for my upcoming build and the pickings are slim from what I see. It seems you either go high end SuperMicro chassis' or low end and have to do some customization. I thought the happy medium was some of the iStarUSA cases but those seem to be getting serious hate on this site.

How loud are the included fans on that Rosewill case?

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
No way I'd spend that much dough on an iStar case. Sorry, but that's crazy. iStar is about the same quality as Norco from what we've used and I've just been buying used SM cases instead. Usually doing that gets you a PSU as well.

@virtualfng Where is the Nutanix 4.6 Synology replacement?!?!?!!!!! :D

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
No way I'd spend that much dough on an iStar case. Sorry, but that's crazy. iStar is about the same quality as Norco from what we've used and I've just been buying used SM cases instead. Usually doing that gets you a PSU as well.

I've used both Norco (had this case back in the day) and iStarUSA and I prefer iStar for the following reasons:
  1. They make a lot of short depth (sub 21") cases which is what I'm always after. I can't fit 25-32" cases which takes virtually every high quality (SuperMicro for example) case out of the running.
  2. Their hot swap bays (at least the newer ones) are higher quality (I especially like the trayless since it makes replacing a drive effortless.
  3. Their newer cases just "look" nice
Now for the average person, none of these 3 reasons (especially #2 and #3) matter. But since my cases sit in a very nicely furnished and organized office, the look and feel of my equipment matters to me.

I bought this case in October and I love it. Unfortunately I'm already about to outgrow it now that I'm going to be combining my bulk storage my faster storage so I'll be selling this case and getting a bigger replacement.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
And how about those who don't have more than a few hundred $ to spend on a rackmount chassis?
Used SM, or norco or chenbro. Any of those options are usually solid.

No hate, just stating preference and lessons learned from buying a norco 4224 new for $430 when I could have got two used SC216's/SC846's for nearly that price.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
Used SM, or norco or chenbro. Any of those options are usually solid.
Unfortunately (as my above post mentions) I haven't found many sub 21-22" cases from those brands other than the super compact 15".

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com

It's called Scale Out Filer which is in Tech Preview for 4.6. I wouldn't put it in production yet as it is Tech Preview and there is some more work to be done around sharding..etc.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
I put cheap G3470 @ 3.60GHz into my FreeNAS build. CPU is never a problem for me. Actually, for our family - we always get max speed over gigabit network. Maybe for 10G it will be different but I would try first..

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com
Just ordered a Supermicro case..i've always used them...I guess i'll stick with them..plus they fit perfectly in my Supermicro 19u rack. Also ordered drives so i'll create a build log post in the coming weeks. Probably go with Unraid...

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
Just ordered a Supermicro case..i've always used them...I guess i'll stick with them..plus they fit perfectly in my Supermicro 19u rack. Also ordered drives so i'll create a build log post in the coming weeks. Probably go with Unraid...
Which case did you settle on just out of curiosity?

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com
Which case did you settle on just out of curiosity?
SUPERMICRO CSE-825TQ-563LPB Black Server Case - Newegg.com

I figured I can live without redundant PS since it's for home file storage that will be backed up offsite...and more drive bays.since drives are getting larger these days. I only needed 6 drive bays for Spindles and 2 for SSD...plus this also had 2 extra 3.5" static bays internal so my thought is i'm going to put the SSD's in those bays to leave me some expansion.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
SUPERMICRO CSE-825TQ-563LPB Black Server Case - Newegg.com

I figured I can live without redundant PS since it's for home file storage that will be backed up offsite...and more drive bays.since drives are getting larger these days. I only needed 6 drive bays for Spindles and 2 for SSD...plus this also had 2 extra 3.5" static bays internal so my thought is i'm going to put the SSD's in those bays to leave me some expansion.
Very nice.

I really like the SuperMicro cases but unfortunately non of them are an option for me since they are all 25"+ deep and I only have room for 22-23" depth cases. It's why I'm usually looking at the iStarUSA cases since they make a lot of 20-23" depth cases.

Last edited:

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Well, the case is upsetting me now :(

Pulled out my NIB Icy Dock 4x3.5" in 3x5.25" and the case is setup to ONLY ALLOW 1x5.25 devices because it has "tabs" separating the 5.25 bays.

Brute forcing these tabs out of the way...

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com
Well, the case is upsetting me now :(

Pulled out my NIB Icy Dock 4x3.5" in 3x5.25" and the case is setup to ONLY ALLOW 1x5.25 devices because it has "tabs" separating the 5.25 bays.

Brute forcing these tabs out of the way...
That sucks but I feel your pain..been there.

I'm curious, I have an Intel 720 800GB AIC that's in my workstation not really doing anything. I would like to add this to my AIO for local VM Datastore.

I have:
SuperMicro X10SLL-F
Intel Xeon 1230V3

I realize that I only have 16 PCI-E Lanes here but i'll have three AICs:
1. Intel 720 in a PCI-E 3.0 x 16 (x8) Slot
2. LSI 9211-8i in the second PCI-E 3.0 x8 Slot
3. Intel X520 DP in third PCI-E 2.0 x x4 Slot

Is this doable and would this be the recommended placement of those AICs?

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
The LSI card only needs x4 Lanes on PCIE 2.0 max.

The Intel X520 depending on model could use pcie3.0 x8 if I recall so I'd likely swap the placement of those since the LSI won't ever need more than the PCIE2.0 spec, likely only x4 tho.

Intel 750 NVME 4x pcie3.0
LSI 4x 4x pcie2.0 (so thats what like 2x pcie3 lanes??)
X520 likely 4x pcie 2.0 or 3.0 depending on card/model I believe

That should leave enough lanes for onboard stuf too, I THINK :)

Reactions: whitey

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I was able to bend all the metal clips down so the Icy Dock 4x3.5" hot-swap system is installed now.

Awaiting 1 stick of RAM replacement now, hope to know tomorrow get it by Wed/Thursday.