Synology Replacement

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
It's now running 'right' again. It required me to completely remove the power plug and let it sit then plug it back in and power up. Rebooting, and powering it off and back on did not fix it. This seems like a glitch in the SuperMicro BIOS -- for not resetting on power-off.
Remember, it is the IPMI/BMC that's doing this. They continue to run even when the system is "off" - look at the heartbeat LED on the motherboard.

There is probably some provision to cold-reset them on a running system, as long as they are still responding. If they aren't responding, then they will need a power cycle to get them rebooted.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Ah, I wasn't aware the fans were tied into that -- just figured on reboot they'd reset! That makes sense why it did this before and not other times ;)

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Ah, I wasn't aware the fans were tied into that -- just figured on reboot they'd reset! That makes sense why it did this before and not other times ;)
High fan speed is a self-preservation act on the part of the BMC - if it doesn't know how fast a fan is going, it commands full speed. That's why you can get the "jet taking off" noise on a reboot, until the BMC re-establishes communication with the fans. If it was run by the BIOS, you'd cook the system if the BIOS failed to initialize for some reason.

Reactions: T_Minus