Supermicro Xeon D / FCBGA 1667 Heatsink information

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
Anyone else SAS2 temps are like 85+C? Anyway to turn off this chip since I don't even use any of the SAS connectors on my D1537 board..
Actually, I have noticed when flashing LSI cards that bad cards that won't init never heat up - often I think it is the surface mount fuse issue, but in other cases it may be because the card has no firmware or BIOS loaded, so you could try wiping it's firmware - note the SAS address from sas2ircu 0 display just in case it gets wiped, but then do a megarec -cleanflash 0 or a sas2flash -o -e 6 (the latter has been said to be risky and capable of bricking cards though)

FlashEngineer

Jan 27, 2016
Yea Notctua's are probably not pushing enough air. One thing you can try is adding ducts and adding pull fans to help moved the air simliar to how I have mine shown here.

So I see your case fan way in the front is enough to cool that SAS2 chip (silver heatsink on left side) ? What's the temp of it? I guess those are 80mm as well but probably louder..

I order one of those BUF-E as well but not sure how to mount a fan, I can do what you do but I want it more secure.. right now I'm using stock heatsink with a 60mm noctua just "sitting" on top of it and it's running around 46C which is pretty good considering I had 3x 40mm Nidec supermicro fans blowing around 7000rpm to get it to 46C.

FlashEngineer

Jan 27, 2016
Actually, I have noticed when flashing LSI cards that bad cards that won't init never heat up - often I think it is the surface mount fuse issue, but in other cases it may be because the card has no firmware or BIOS loaded, so you could try wiping it's firmware - note the SAS address from sas2ircu 0 display just in case it gets wiped, but then do a megarec -cleanflash 0 or a sas2flash -o -e 6 (the latter has been said to be risky and capable of bricking cards though)
I can try that later, but I read through the manual there's a jumper to disable SAS2 connections, you think this will turn off the chip or why would a jumper be there not to turn off chip (to save power) and disable the connectors.

From page 2-33:

SAS Port Enable/Disable Use JPS1 to enable the onboard SAS ports. See the table on the right for jumper settings.

I hope this can work, either way if airflow is an issue or not, I rather not power up a chip I'll never use since this board is solely for my pfsense firewall.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
So I see your case fan way in the front is enough to cool that SAS2 chip (silver heatsink on left side) ? What's the temp of it? I guess those are 80mm as well but probably louder..

I order one of those BUF-E as well but not sure how to mount a fan, I can do what you do but I want it more secure.. right now I'm using stock heatsink with a 60mm noctua just "sitting" on top of it and it's running around 46C which is pretty good considering I had 3x 40mm Nidec supermicro fans blowing around 7000rpm to get it to 46C.
Do you only have the onboard storage controller in your server and no additional add-ons? I have two identical boards and only one shows a SAS2 sensor which is the one that has an AOC in one of the PCIe slots.

I rather not power up a chip I'll never use since this board is solely for my pfsense firewall.
Is there a reason you bought this board as opposed to the version without the onboard LSI controller if that's your purpose?

FlashEngineer

Jan 27, 2016
Do you only have the onboard storage controller in your server and no additional add-ons? I have two identical boards and only one shows a SAS2 sensor which is the one that has an AOC in one of the PCIe slots.

Is there a reason you bought this board as opposed to the version without the onboard LSI controller if that's your purpose?
Yeah there's nothing in terms of AOC, it's just a firewall. I got this because at the time that was only available, I couldn't wait 5-7 months for the other versions, I needed the 10Gb SFP+ rather than ethernet 10GB or whatever configs, plus I wanted the 8 core CPU, probably overkill for firewall but I was planning to run lots of services on pfsense that might be CPU intensive.

This is my board: Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X10SDV-7TP4F

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Yeah there's nothing in terms of AOC, it's just a firewall. I got this because at the time that was only available, I couldn't wait 5-7 months for the other versions, I needed the 10Gb SFP+ rather than ethernet 10GB or whatever configs, plus I wanted the 8 core CPU, probably overkill for firewall but I was planning to run lots of services on pfsense that might be CPU intensive.

This is my board: Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X10SDV-7TP4F
Yea I have two of the same board and only one shows a SAS2 sensor. Strange.

FlashEngineer

Jan 27, 2016
Maybe IPMI firmware or MB firmware difference? Anyhow It's that chip under the silver heatsink on the bottom left, I can use my temp gun and see what it registers if I can find my gun..

Either way, if Noctua fans are too weak what else can I get that's 80x25mm and not too loud yet still flows.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Maybe IPMI firmware or MB firmware difference? Anyhow It's that chip under the silver heatsink on the bottom left, I can use my temp gun and see what it registers if I can find my gun..

Either way, if Noctua fans are too weak what else can I get that's 80x25mm and not too loud yet still flows.
Good call. I swore I updated all my servers to IPMI firmware 3.46 the other day but I missed one.

As for the fans, I'm using SuperMicro FAN-0044L4 80mm PWM fans. They are not loud to me but I've found that sound tolerance is very subjective. It's probably because my entire rack emits an overall hum so I can't really hear specific fans over others.

FlashEngineer

Jan 27, 2016
Good call. I swore I updated all my servers to IPMI firmware 3.46 the other day but I missed one.

As for the fans, I'm using SuperMicro FAN-0044L4 80mm PWM fans. They are not loud to me but I've found that sound tolerance is very subjective. It's probably because my entire rack emits an overall hum so I can't really hear specific fans over others.
44L4 are the stock fans on the 822 chassis, I have these.. they sound NOT good lol. Are you throttling these? I might throw these in my 836 to see how they sound, I swear they sound like garbage in the 822 but that chassis is using a non supermicro MB so not sure what is going on.

I just bought 5x the 104L4 which are 2800-3000rpm "SQ" version for the tower series chassis, not sure if these can pull more air than the Noctua though. The specs look similar but who knows what's real these days from manufacturer.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
44L4 are the stock fans on the 822 chassis, I have these.. they sound NOT good lol. Are you throttling these? I might throw these in my 836 to see how they sound, I swear they sound like garbage in the 822 but that chassis is using a non supermicro MB so not sure what is going on.

I just bought 5x the 104L4 which are 2800-3000rpm "SQ" version for the tower series chassis, not sure if these can pull more air than the Noctua though. The specs look similar but who knows what's real these days from manufacturer.
I'm not throttling them at all. But then again, the temps in my server haven't really gotten high enough very often for the fans to ramp up. At idle temps/speeds they are not loud to me. Again, this is subjective.

FlashEngineer

Jan 27, 2016
I'm not throttling them at all. But then again, the temps in my server haven't really gotten high enough very often for the fans to ramp up. At idle temps/speeds they are not loud to me. Again, this is subjective.
So are you running them full speed or optimal or what RPM are those at?

Subjectively I dislike the "humming" sound of fans, I rather hear the sound of air passing through a system rather than the hum noise. Not sure if I'm describing it correctly.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
So are you running them full speed or optimal or what RPM are those at?

Subjectively I dislike the "humming" sound of fans, I rather hear the sound of air passing through a system rather than the hum noise. Not sure if I'm describing it correctly.
I hear you. But with 4 servers, 2 switches, and a firewall all in one rack it's all but impossible for me to adequately cool it without some audible noise from inside the same room.

As for my fans, I'm running them at "optimal" speed.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I guess the only solution is an enclosed rack with external fans pushing air from top or something.
That will almost for sure increase temps unless you have jet engine level fans exhausting heat from the top. My rack cabinet is enclosed but I wound up taking the front door off because it reduced temps greatly.

FlashEngineer

Jan 27, 2016
That will almost for sure increase temps unless you have jet engine level fans exhausting heat from the top. My rack cabinet is enclosed but I wound up taking the front door off because it reduced temps greatly.
I don't have side panels, I have doors but didn't put it on. Doors have holes so it would do nothing for sound.

Right now I put 3 of those 44 fans from my 822 case into the 836 and set the RPM around 2800rpm, it sounds "OK" some slight hum but not as annoying as the current stock rears which are spinning at 4000rpm.

Temps are ok, the 7200 drive that's in the corner is hitting 35C which is not too bad, it's not that cool ambient temp.

I'm hoping the 104L4 are like this, airflow wise but sound a bit better. If yes then I'll replace everything with the 104L4 fans, if they suck like Noctua, gonna sell them on eBay... I hate fans

FlashEngineer

Jan 27, 2016
Also to note, at least on my xeon 6 core, using noctua 60mm on the active heatsink replacement, works great, temps are still cool and same, at least some noctua fans are not useless.

FlashEngineer

Jan 27, 2016
Moving that jumper does help a bit on the SAS2 chip. It's still active but much lower, with same setup it's now at 58C.

jodis

Dec 17, 2016
How did you fix the Noctua? And what Noctua Model is this?

I´ve ordered 2 Cooljag BUF-E today for my 2 X10SDV-TP8F Boards, because now I have idle temps above 60° C and that is too much. A Noctua NF-A6x25 PWM blowing down to the standard Heatsink and 2 bequiet 80mm Fans are in front of the case RaidSonic RackMax RM-1920, but that is not enough. And I like it quiet also, but in my case the Fans running at 1200RPM and are noticeable.
I hope with the Cooljag the idle temps and sounds getting better. Maybe a air duct like yours helps also.
Ok, I don´t know whats going wrong with my setup, because I´ve got my Cooljag 2U copper heatsink today and the idle temps (54°C and 57°C) are still to high I think.

I remove the original screws from heatsink and fix it with ne Cooljag. Put some Thermal Paste on the CPU and installed the Cooljag. I´ve placed for testing the Noctua A6x25 in front of the Cooljag to blow air through the HS to the back of the case.

I´m a little bit surprised that all of you had significant drops of temps. Mine is only around 8°C.

FlashEngineer

Jan 27, 2016
I think using the 1u maybe better with active cooler. I'm having good temps just with stock cooler and 60mm noctua fan blowing on top.

ServerSemi

Jan 12, 2017
Ok, I don´t know whats going wrong with my setup, because I´ve got my Cooljag 2U copper heatsink today and the idle temps (54°C and 57°C) are still to high I think.

I remove the original screws from heatsink and fix it with ne Cooljag. Put some Thermal Paste on the CPU and installed the Cooljag. I´ve placed for testing the Noctua A6x25 in front of the Cooljag to blow air through the HS to the back of the case.

I´m a little bit surprised that all of you had significant drops of temps. Mine is only around 8°C.
I'm experiencing the same as you. At best I got a 5C drop in temps compared to stock heatsink. Tried using different thermal paste and still same results.