1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supermicro Xeon D / FCBGA 1667 Heatsink information

Discussion in 'Processors and Motherboards' started by pgh5278, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

I did this today and it was fairly easy. I will check how the video came out.

2. Netwerkz101

Netwerkz101 Active Member

3. Netwerkz101

Thanks for the temp info ... I get those temp with case top off and a Noctua sitting on the CPU heatsink.

I decided to pull the trigger on one.

Of course as soon as I did that I thought about add-in cards which will force me to convert to 2u anyhow.
    <sigh>

4. RchGrav

RchGrav Member

Video?

5. pgh5278

pgh5278 Active Member

Here is a photo of the 2 heatsinks used to plot the charts above, side by side, note the original SM is cooler is sitting on sata connectors and other items, so it is higher than when on CPU.

2ua.jpg

Bradford and Patrick like this.
  6. brinox

brinox New Member

Netwerkz101 likes this.
  7. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

Sitting in the YouTube queue. Will publish it Monday.

8. Netwerkz101

I am just going to thank you now!
    I suspect this will fit and I won't have to change out the back plate as the screws will likely match
    the current OEM back plate screw holes.

Not to mention it is a 4-pin PWM fan.
    Same price for me shipped (~$30) too.

I just ordered one.
    Will report back once I get it.

EDIT: I just saw a post/video on TinkerTry mentioning SNK-C0057A4L.
    - Wondering what differences are...going find out the expensive way I guess ;)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  9. Ozymand

Ozymand New Member

After feedback from pgh5278 my original idea would not work for mounting a fan to the Cooljag BUF-E, so I'm proposing this:

2U_xeon-d_shroud.JPG

This should slide right over the top of a Cooljag BUF-E. The dimensions extend out of the heatsink by 5mm the sides, and however far the fan does on the front/back. It uses three unique pieces (the assembly consists of a top, two sides, and two fronts) and designed to use a 60mm fan in either a push (front mount), pull (rear mount), or push-pull (front and rear mount). The only gotcha I have right now since I don't have a BUF-E and Cooljag does not provide a dimensioned drawing is if there is adequate space to allow for the M4 nuts on the back of the plate to secure the fan(s) to the front plates.

If someone wants to try it out, I can message the STL files.

10. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

Looks like I need a 3D printer.

gigatexal likes this.
  11. gigatexal

gigatexal I'm here to learn

late to this thread, but while I am wishing I had one of these awesome boards, why not submerge yours in oil and cool it that way ;-)P

12. Peanuthead

Peanuthead Active Member

I have a BNIB X10SDV-F-O if you want it. I may have a Mellanox card I can include with it. Customer decided they wanted 10GigE.

gigatexal likes this.
  13. Peanuthead

Peanuthead Active Member

Well kind of like what the above says a customer wanted a 10GigE setup so I pushed them onto a 5018D-FN4T. All I can say is the case fan is loud for an office environment. It's just high enough that is makes you go crazy due to the low hum. Anyone have any ideas on how to cool this thing better? I've thought about either moving the board to a 2U, installing an active 1U cooler like above with a Noctua exhaust fan, or moving them to a SM 721 chassis. Thoughts or suggestions welcome. I'd like to have a happier customer (they are already pretty happy).

14. pgh5278

pgh5278 Active Member

I have a SM721 chassis, but the board used in the photos was a flex version, the S721 has room under the drive compartment for the copper 2u cooler, sm721 has space for 2 @ 60mm fans at front of case.. you would have to test to see if it works well. Other option is one of the SM smaller 2u cases like SC823TQ-653LPB which has 6 3.5" drives.

15. evancox10

evancox10 New Member

A few questions:

Whats the best way to keep the mini-tower
    version (e.g. SYS-5028D-TN4T) cool and quiet?Will 2U solutions fit in it?

And is the after-market SM active cooler mentioned in the article the same setup that comes installed on SM's boards with the active cooler?

solaris12 likes this.
  16. MiniKnight

MiniKnight Well-Known Member

@evancox10 the mini tower versions see that Noctua post on STH that's linked. It looks like the same cooler and SM doesn't make THAT many extra parts.

Near silent powerhouse: Making a quieter MicroLab platform

With the mini-tower you'd need to keep the 10gbase-t controller cool as well. There's a design flaw in that system. If you see the STH post they're mounting fans in front of the chassis too for this one.

17. Netwerkz101

[​IMG]
    Image shows two Supermicro (left / center) and one CoolJag (right) 1U cooling options

And now I know the answer to my question:
    1. Height differences - the SupermicroC0057A4L and CoolJag BUF-A are very similar = lowest profile
    (Note: SM 54A4L has the same height profile as the stock heatsink that came with my X10SDV-TP8F)

2. Backplate differences - BKT-0043L-F and BKT-0043L-Q
    (Note: "Q" version has more threads ...ie ... deeper screw holes than the "F" version)

I made a rookie mistake and mixed up the backplates, so I don't know what backplate came with what heatsink/fan combo.

I _think_, and will update this post when I can, the stock backplate for the X10SDV-TP8F was the "F" model, so removal of the stock backplate was not necessary.

Currently using the Supermicro SNK-C0057A4L ...
    Used the included / pre-applied thermal paste.
    Ambient temp is 79 degrees "F" in the mancave and my 1u case top is off.

I am running a single VM ...so pretty much idle and below are my sensor readings:

[​IMG]

My thoughts / ideas now and going forward:

I am going to run it like it is ... well... putting top on...for a while and watch.
    My non-scientific guess is I should mix components up to achieve the best all around cooling:
    - example: Use the CoolJag copper heatsink and backplate with the Supermicro 4pin PWM fans

The Cooljag fan is a non-pwm running at 5500RPM and is "not quiet enough" to me.

The fans that come with the Supermicro heatsinks are Delta EFB0512HHA model that can get up to 6500RPM ...but since its PWM, it is hovering at the 3000RPM mark.

It is slightly audible, but quiet enough - again...case top is off and I can barely make it out .. like the 40mm Noctua that this replaced.

If one really wants to get quiet ..at the sacrifice of lower CFM look at the following spec sheet:
    http://www.delta.com.tw/product/cp/dcfans/download/pdf/EFB/EFB50x50x10mm.pdf

I wouldn't go lower than the EFB0512MA with it 4500RPM max and 25dB-A noise.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    brinox likes this.
  18. brinox

brinox New Member

One other difference is the height of the heatsink as it sits atop the processor. The 54A4L version looks to be fitted for a much shorter processor/socket combination, whereas the 57A4L looks like its designed with taller procs with IHS installed, and maybe less overall heat to dissipate.

These are excellent differences to know though, and I apologize for sending you on such a goose chase!

19. Bradford

Bradford Member

I put the BUF-A I got from antares into my little home server. I replaced the fanless aluminum heatsink on my new A1SRM-2758F. It's been on for the past 3 days nonstop and it's holding at 22 C. I had to use washers for the new backplate - I used some soft-ish rubber ones that seem to work pretty well. The backplate was kind of hard to get off because of the tape, but I didn't use a heat gun. I just eased it out with pressure.

[​IMG]

20. Brian Puccio

Brian Puccio Member

Huh, that looks familiar. Nice job, thanks for posting!