supermicro sc847 45bay jbod - limit fan noise

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jannis Jacobsen

Mar 19, 2016
Norway
Has anyone managed to make the supermicro sc847 45bay jbod chassis a bit more homelab friendly noisewise?
I tried powering it on yesterday, and it would be nice not to have a jumbojet in the apartment :)

Would be nice not having to sell this....

-J

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
There are many threads about making these beasts quiet.

Use a 3rd party fan controller. all of the fans on that system are plugged into the SAS backplanes. and those by default run @ 100%

Chris

Reactions: Jannis Jacobsen

Jannis Jacobsen

Mar 19, 2016
Norway
so I need a pwm fan controller that supports 7 fans, unplug from the sas expanders and plug into the new controller?
would I need to split a molex cable to power the new fan controller?
won't the jbod controller start complaining about missing fans?

-J

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Are you using it as a JBOD or does it have mobo, etc... installed?

If JBOD make sure you have the latest (#3) controller from Supermicro or

If it has mobo/etc then make sure all fans are pwm, make sure the 'fan mode' is configured properly, and different cpus and bios versions make the fans change too...

In either case you should have PWM fans but more configuring if you have a SM board in there too :)

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Get the CB3 board from SuperMicro and make sure all fans are PWM and plug into it.

This is on my "to do" list for my JBOD too, right now with SSD fans still run 100% and annoying and def. not needed.

It's more $$ (around $100) but it's basically lets you contorl the system like they do their mobos for fans.

Jannis Jacobsen

Mar 19, 2016
Norway
@T_Minus
the cb3 board looks to be perfect, but there is no way to get the ipmi cable out of the chassis.
might be possible to configure via cable with the lid of, then unplug and close it, but then I loose all the other benefits, monitoring etc

-Jannis

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
@T_Minus
the cb3 board looks to be perfect, but there is no way to get the ipmi cable out of the chassis.
might be possible to configure via cable with the lid of, then unplug and close it, but then I loose all the other benefits, monitoring etc

-Jannis
There are the required part numbers available for different chassis,
try these as a start
CBL-NTWK-0587 1.6FT CAT5e RJ-45 Extension Cable
MCP-120-84705-0N IPMI port bracket Low-Profile

Jannis Jacobsen

Mar 19, 2016
Norway
There are the required part numbers available for different chassis,
try these as a start
CBL-NTWK-0587 1.6FT CAT5e RJ-45 Extension Cable
MCP-120-84705-0N IPMI port bracket Low-Profile
That would be perfect, if the chassis had any space for the bracket :)

-J

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
That would be perfect, if the chassis had any space for the bracket :)

-J
Have you reviewed the supermicro product pages for 847 models? As I mentioned there are various options for various chassis.
Here is a pic of the back of a new model, uses HD mini sas, see below. If there is a will there is a way....:) They also use the same backplane as such at the back, but the blank off the drive tray slot below the PS to have option for more HD mini Sas connectors..Looks like it is possible, just need to get the PN..
upload_2016-8-18_15-22-45.png

Jannis Jacobsen

Mar 19, 2016
Norway
Have you reviewed the supermicro product pages for 847 models? As I mentioned there are various options for various chassis.
Here is a pic of the back of a new model, uses HD mini sas, see below. If there is a will there is a way....:) They also use the same backplane as such at the back, but the blank off the drive tray slot below the PS to have option for more HD mini Sas connectors..Looks like it is possible, just need to get the PN..
I have looked at exactly that one.
It also uses a different SAS3 backplane, which has different mini-sas connectors (mini sas hd or some such).
Either way, things start to get pretty expensive pretty fast.

I'm hoping I can find some low rpm 80mm fans that I could make to fit in the fan bracket
I have seen some nice 80x80x25 fans with temperature sensor.
If those could be fitted, the fans would regulate the rpm's themselves, and not need a separate fan controller

-J

cookiesowns

Feb 12, 2016
I have looked at exactly that one.
It also uses a different SAS3 backplane, which has different mini-sas connectors (mini sas hd or some such).
Either way, things start to get pretty expensive pretty fast.

I'm hoping I can find some low rpm 80mm fans that I could make to fit in the fan bracket
I have seen some nice 80x80x25 fans with temperature sensor.
If those could be fitted, the fans would regulate the rpm's themselves, and not need a separate fan controller

-J
Yeah, those internal -> external miniSAS HD adapters are not cheap. Roughly $100 for each set of 2 ports. Plus the bracket, plus the controller you might as well just pick up a BE1/2C from ebay...